Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booked AA using Avios, Schedule Change - Cancel Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked AA using Avios, Schedule Change - Cancel Options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by KARFA
I have never heard of this before. Rebooking on partner rewards is typically only possible on to other flights with partner reward availability and not in to any revenue selling classes.
Ok sorry I’m being imprecise there. After a schedule change (avios booking on AA) I have been reaccomodated on flights that had no reward availability. Dealt with by BA after speaking to AA about eligibility. That’s not to say BA booked me into a revenue bucket, no. Frankly I don’t know what happened: if AA provided reward space to BA or if AA add the flights to the booking and BA re-ticket.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Surely since it’s a BA ticket, BA’s rules override any of AA’s? The OP can’t ask AA to change a 125 ticket into revenue buckets. He/She has to ask BA, no?

Edit: he can ask, but, I’m 99% sure AA do not have this power. Much like a TA etc... .
I’m saying it may be useful to speak to AA to confirm eligibility for a refund according to their policy (60 minute time change). But yes BA would have to process the refund.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
As a point of reference I was booked on a BA Holiday with all my flights on AA (BA codeshare).

My flight was changed so my connection in Miami was legal but a bit shorter than I would have felt comfy and I didnt want to risk it. I called BA Holidays with flights I preferred and had absolutely no issues changing. Was very impressed.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I have never heard of this before. Rebooking on partner rewards is typically only possible on to other flights with partner reward availability and not in to any revenue selling classes.
This is precisely the situation I had recently where I had a significant schedule change on an AA flight booked via BA using Avios. BA were certainly amenable to a change but there had to be underlying award availability. They would not book me into a revenue bucket (as this was an AA operated flight) nor would they consider going via their OneWorld liaison desk to get AA to open up additional awards.

Ultimately I was rebooked as I wanted and with no additional charges but it meant travelling a day earlier with an overnight stop at DFW.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by pauldb
Ok sorry I’m being imprecise there. After a schedule change (avios booking on AA) I have been reaccomodated on flights that had no reward availability. Dealt with by BA after speaking to AA about eligibility. That’s not to say BA booked me into a revenue bucket, no. Frankly I don’t know what happened: if AA provided reward space to BA or if AA add the flights to the booking and BA re-ticket.
Ba can indeed contact AA to ask if they will release award seats to reaccommodate a passenger. They may or may not accept and of course if they do, that would have solved the problem of rebooking. However, as KARFA says, if they don’t, aa will typically refuse to reaccommodate award pax onto paid buckets and are usually strict about it. Baec will similarly not rebook pax from partner award buckets to partner paid ones.

also the AA rules are that refund is only allowed from 61 minutes (60 is not), and from 61 to 120 minutes that is only in the form of a voucher, whilst refund to the original form of payment is only allowed from 121 minutes.

In short, i don’t think the AA rules actually work that well for the op here.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by marconess
As a point of reference I was booked on a BA Holiday with all my flights on AA (BA codeshare).

My flight was changed so my connection in Miami was legal but a bit shorter than I would have felt comfy and I didnt want to risk it. I called BA Holidays with flights I preferred and had absolutely no issues changing. Was very impressed.
The difference will be that you were on a revenue fare, so that makes the availability situation quite different. I feel posters are confusing a few scenarios into one here. Firstly this is a BA ticketed award on AA metal. In this scenario AA requires award bookings to be rebooked into award buckets. If there is no award availability, you can't rebook. AB handle this differently when they are the operating carrier. Redemptions can be rebooked onto any flight with available seats.

What the OP might have found is that when the ticket comes under AA airport control is that they are very accustomed to dealing with IIROPS due to a multitude of reasons, either ground holds or having a number of very large hubs in the North East of the USA. If the OPs connection was getting tight I'd imagine he would have had a lot more options for reaccomodation on the day. Its also worth bearing in mind that US airlines generally prefer smaller aircraft at higher frequency, so if his flight was cancelled at the US hub, he wouldn't be waiting too long.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.