Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus lounge access at LHR via BA codeshare flight?

Old Oct 12, 19, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

I have an upcoming trip as follows:

1. British Airways business class flight from US to LHR (arrives in T5)
2. British Airways flight from LHR to Ireland (leaves from T2), operated by Aer Lingus (economy, which is the only seat type for this flight)

I do not have status with BA or EI (though I do have oneworld Sapphire ó which I donít suspect will be of any use here).

The layover is about 4 hours, so Iím trying to figure out lounge options. From what I can see, there is no BA lounge in LHR T2, but there is an Aer Lingus lounge.

I have been unable to determine if itís possible to use the Aer Lingus lounge in LHR Terminal 2. The departing flight is BA, but EI operates the flight. Then again, the departing flight is in economy (which is the only ticket type), so itís not clear whether EI would honor the fact that the arriving ticket (which was BA on a BA-operated flight) was in business class.

Iíve found several questions related to travel the other way around (gaining access to BA lounges with EI flights), but havenít found any info for the scenario in question here.

Might anyone have any thoughts or guidance? Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 19, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL Silver, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This is a good question. Are the inbound to LHR and the outbound to DUB part of the same PNR? I punched in a sample itinerary into LoungeBuddy (I didn't know your inbound origin so i used BOS) and it says no access to the LHR EI T2 lounge. The BA Business fare class on the BA marketed EI metal flights are coded Y so it seems that's true. Oddly, BA charges the same for itineraries that involve BA metal for the LHR-DUB segment which DO have Business class!

However, as your inbound to LHR is on a long-haul flight, you are entitled to use the T5 Galleries Arrivals lounge. You might elect to stay there longer than anticipated and then head to T2 giving you just enough time to go through security and be at the gate. You're also allowed to use the T3 AA Arrivals lounge in case you want to be a little closer to T2.
Old Oct 12, 19, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for your informative response, Oakshadow! These are great tips.

Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
Are the inbound to LHR and the outbound to DUB part of the same PNR?
Thatís correct. However, it was poor form of me not to specify the final destination ó the second leg is LHR-SNN, where there are no business class tickets available.

I repeated your experiment with Lounge Buddy and see the same results ó LHR BA Arrivals Lounge is accessible whereas the EI T2 lounge is not. Lounge Buddy also claims that the BA departure lounges are accessible, but that seems like itís a bug ó I thought that only flights departing from T5 would be able to access them.

The BA Arrivals Lounge sounds like a good idea, although it seems like Iíll have to go through customs, etc. for this one. LHR recommends airside T5→T2 transfer to be 90m, so I imagine that a landside will be longer... Iíve never flown through LHR before, so Iíll need to do some research.
Old Oct 12, 19, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by hexspec View Post
Many thanks for your informative response, Oakshadow! These are great tips.

That’s correct. However, it was poor form of me not to specify the final destination — the second leg is LHR-SNN, where there are no business class tickets available.

I repeated your experiment with Lounge Buddy and see the same results — LHR BA Arrivals Lounge is accessible whereas the EI T2 lounge is not. Lounge Buddy also claims that the BA departure lounges are accessible, but that seems like it’s a bug — I thought that only flights departing from T5 would be able to access them.

The BA Arrivals Lounge sounds like a good idea, although it seems like I’ll have to go through customs, etc. for this one. LHR recommends airside T5→T2 transfer to be 90m, so I imagine that a landside will be longer... I’ve never flown through LHR before, so I’ll need to do some research.
You would be allowed to use the BA lounges on departure as your inbound is in Business - "First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling [sic] between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa)" and "Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight." Both of your flights are oneworld marketed.

It's my understanding and experience that you go through immigration when connecting to any flight in the UK or Ireland (this might change with the Brexit issue). The Heathrow page using a dummy connecting scenario agrees with me. It's just a matter of either clearing immigration and going landside at T5, using an arrivals lounge and re-entering security in T2 vs. clearing immigration in T2 yet still having to go through security there and having no lounge. With a 4 hour layover, the decision to use an arrivals lounge is a no-brainer. The BA arrivals lounge has a great breakfast spread and good showers. After T5 immigration you MIGHT be able to re-enter the departures hall in T5 and use a BA lounge there and then take an airside bus to T2, but I honestly don't know.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Oct 13, 19 at 9:49 am Reason: airside>landside
Old Oct 13, 19, 3:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges

Welcome to FlyerTalk, hexspec

As the circumstances you are asking about are highly nuanced, your questions would be better placed in the BA forum, where regulars there are familiar with the arrangements for BA ticket holders at Terminal 2ís Aer Lingus lounge.

Prospero
Moderator: Airport Lounges forum
Old Oct 13, 19, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It's my understanding and experience that you go through immigration when connecting to any flight in the UK or Ireland (this might change with the Brexit issue). The Heathrow page using a dummy connecting scenario agrees with me. It's just a matter of either clearing immigration and going airside at T5, using an arrivals lounge and re-entering security in T2 vs. clearing immigration in T2 yet still having to go through security there and having no lounge. With a 4 hour layover, the decision to use an arrivals lounge is a no-brainer. The BA arrivals lounge has a great breakfast spread and good showers. After T5 immigration you MIGHT be able to re-enter the departures hall in T5 and use a BA lounge there and then take an airside bus to T2, but I honestly don't know.
If going landside at T5 on arrival you would go through immigration and could use the arrivals lounge.

You cannot go back airside in T5 unless you have a bp for a T5 departing flight so the only option would be head to T2 using the landside options (HEX or tube). Once at T2 it will just be security to get in the airside departures area, there is no outbound passport control to go through.
Old Oct 13, 19, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
If going landside at T5 on arrival you would go through immigration and could use the arrivals lounge.

You cannot go back airside in T5 unless you have a bp for a T5 departing flight so the only option would be head to T2 using the landside options (HEX or tube). Once at T2 it will just be security to get in the airside departures area, there is no outbound passport control to go through.
I mistyped, i meant clearing immigration in T5 and going LANDside to use an arrivals lounge. Corrected in the above post.
Old Oct 13, 19, 10:04 am

This is a good question. Are the inbound to LHR and the outbound to DUB part of the same PNR? I punched in a sample itinerary into LoungeBuddy (I didn't know your inbound origin so i used BOS) and it says no access to the LHR EI T2 lounge. The BA Business fare class on the BA marketed EI metal flights are coded Y so it seems that's true. Oddly, BA charges the same for itineraries that involve BA metal for the LHR-DUB segment which DO have Business class!

However, as your inbound to LHR is on a long-haul flight, you are entitled to use the T5 Galleries Arrivals lounge. You might elect to stay there longer than anticipated and then head to T2 giving you just enough time to go through security and be at the gate. You're also allowed to use the T3 AA Arrivals lounge in case you want to be a little closer to T2.
This all looks correct to me. Use the arrivals lounge.
Old Oct 13, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
You need BA silver or better to access the EI T2 lounge, regardless of class of travel, codeshare or ticket issuer.

Valid LHR to DUB/SNN/ORK (and DUB/SNN/ORK-LHR/LGW) on EI metal only

The whole mess dates from EI leaving OW, EI had been given the OW monopoly on IE-LHR and bought a fleet of A321's to operate, when EI left OW, BA needed a codeshare and a deal to access the lounge, EI FF get a much more limited reciprocal deal in T3/T5
Old Oct 13, 19, 12:31 pm

Have flown DFW-LHR-SNN and back every couple of months for several years. I'm BA silver which equates to OW sapphire and always have had access to the EI T2 lounge whether arriving to LHR on AA or BA. Also, always had access to SNN lounge on return trip. All travel either WT+ or PE and booked with BA. Never have bothered to go landside at LHR as I keep my connections short.
As an aside, if you have US Global Entry then you will want to get your westbound T/A boarding pass reissued at LHR as the EI SNN issued boarding passes will not indicate your GE status.
Old Oct 13, 19, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nil SeAnn View Post
Have flown DFW-LHR-SNN and back every couple of months for several years. I'm BA silver which equates to OW sapphire and always have had access to the EI T2 lounge whether arriving to LHR on AA or BA. Also, always had access to SNN lounge on return trip. All travel either WT+ or PE and booked with BA. Never have bothered to go landside at LHR as I keep my connections short.
That's all very well but irrelevant to OP, as they do not have status.
Old Oct 13, 19, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
That's all very well but irrelevant to OP, as they do not have status.
First post states OP has OW sapphire which struck me as relevant
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 19, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Nil SeAnn View Post
First post states OP has OW sapphire which struck me as relevant
Ah I see - the issue however is that BA status benefits on EI are exclusive to the BA-EI bilateral relationship. Unfortunately they do not apply to other oneworld statusholders as EI is not (currently) in oneworld - so as OP notes it isn't of use to him here.

In future, if EI does eventually join the oneworld connect (or full) programme then that may change to some degree.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 13, 19, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
However the op does not have BA status

I believe the deal on the lounge is similar to the one AA has with Alaska, so you need to be in the appropriate program, not just OW

Last edited by scottishpoet; Oct 13, 19 at 1:18 pm
Old Oct 13, 19, 2:10 pm

Yes, the signs are very clear that it's BA status required and not Oneworld.

Search this Thread