Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2 BA flights needed to requalify as silver from MAN.

Old Oct 12, 19, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

When I was in the MAN lounge recently, I noticed a flight to GOT? But I canít find it on the BA website?

Where else, other than LHR, can I fly to return to get the flight numbers up to 4?
Old Oct 12, 19, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I think BA franchise parter sun-air of scandinavia fly from MAN to Billund ( not sure if daily or not) which will count .

Also not sure if BA city flyer do weekend flights now from Man.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 12, 19, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 View Post
When I was in the MAN lounge recently, I noticed a flight to GOT? But I canít find it on the BA website?

Where else, other than LHR, can I fly to return to get the flight numbers up to 4?
You dont need to fly BA. MAN-MAD on IB will also count.
Old Oct 12, 19, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Take a look at the oneworld interactive map:
oneworld Online Timetable
Click on Manchester and select destinations and then sort by stops. All the nonstops from MAN will be displayed.

BA 8235 (Sun-Air) MAN-GOT operates on M, T, Th, and F, it is a direct flight with a stop at CBG.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Oct 12, 19 at 2:23 pm Reason: add GOT
Old Oct 12, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
The flight is MAN - CBG - GOT, Sun Air Dornier 328 in BA colours but is no longer publicly bookable; it is paid for by AstraZeneca for their own staff to connect their three principal research and development/corporate centres in Macclesfield, Cambridge and Gothenburg.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 19, 5:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire View Post
The flight is MAN - CBG - GOT, Sun Air Dornier 328 in BA colours but is no longer publicly bookable; it is paid for by AstraZeneca for their own staff to connect their three principal research and development/corporate centres in Macclesfield, Cambridge and Gothenburg.
Do you mean that AZ charter a 4x weekly flight from SunAir?

(As an aside, I thought they were closing their Macclesfield offices...)
Old Oct 13, 19, 2:43 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC GCH (currently), AA LTG (FWIW)
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
...it is a direct flight with a stop at CBG.
The concept of a direct flight that stops somewhere along the way still seems like an oxymoron to me. The only way to go direct from A to C is not to stop at B along the way! Stupid airlines!!!

rb211.
Old Oct 13, 19, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
The concept of a direct flight that stops somewhere along the way still seems like an oxymoron to me. The only way to go direct from A to C is not to stop at B along the way! Stupid airlines!!!

rb211.
Itís the terminology as used on trains. The above is a direct service between Stevenage and London but it is not a non stop service.
Old Oct 13, 19, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by hypercrypt View Post
Itís the terminology as used on trains. The above is a direct service between Stevenage and London but it is not a non stop service.
Thanks for the explanation. Two things.

(1) Again, how can the service be direct if it goes via some third point. (Stupid railways?)

(2) Even if I concede the first point, generally, trains that go between Stevenage and London are required to go via Finsbury Park (because they run on tracks.) Such a requirement is not present with planes.

Like I said, stupid airlines!

rb211.
Old Oct 13, 19, 4:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
You dont need to fly BA. MAN-MAD on IB will also count.
either than or on EI booked under the BA codeshare for MAN-DUB would also count.
rapidex likes this.
Old Oct 13, 19, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
either than or on EI booked under the BA codeshare for MAN-DUB would also count.
Hi,
Good point.
I tried looking for this on BA.com last night but it did not come back with any BA codeshares on EI.

Regards

TBS
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 13, 19, 5:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,
Good point.
I tried looking for this on BA.com last night but it did not come back with any BA codeshares on EI.

Regards

TBS
I wonder whether there was some issue last night on the site? Itís not been the most reliable lately. The standalone BA codeshares on EI seem to be showing again now as well as the connecting options via LHR.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Oct 13, 19, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
(1) Again, how can the service be direct if it goes via some third point. (Stupid railways?)

(2) Even if I concede the first point, generally, trains that go between Stevenage and London are required to go via Finsbury Park (because they run on tracks.) Such a requirement is not present with planes.

Like I said, stupid airlines!
If you take a train from Gatwick Airport to London Blackfriars that has an intermediate stop at London Bridge, that's "direct". If you take a train from Gatwick Airport to London Blackfriars that stops nowhere in between and runs on another non-London Bridge route through the southern suburbs of London (of which there is at least one routinely-used one, and there are possibly other viable routes too), that's also "direct".

So the description "direct" is perfectly comprehensible in relation to railways, even when the train might not be restricted to a single route (and sometimes the choice of southern London tour seems almost random).

The second of those examples is non-stop, but the first is not. So in relation to railways, the (different) term "non-stop" is also perfectly comprehensible.

Why, then, does the media routinely misuse the terms in relation to airlines, when airlines use the words in exactly the same way? I suspect that they are as much as anything the source of the popular misconception that (unlike on railways) a "direct" flight must be a "non-stop" flight. It's as untrue for an airliner as for a train - although a "non-stop" flight (or train) must be a "direct" flight (or train).
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 13, 19, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
If you take a train from Gatwick Airport to London Blackfriars that has an intermediate stop at London Bridge, that's "direct". If you take a train from Gatwick Airport to London Blackfriars that stops nowhere in between and runs on another non-London Bridge route through the southern suburbs of London (of which there is at least one routinely-used one, and there are possibly other viable routes too), that's also "direct".

So the description "direct" is perfectly comprehensible in relation to railways, even when the train might not be restricted to a single route (and sometimes the choice of southern London tour seems almost random).

The second of those examples is non-stop, but the first is not. So in relation to railways, the (different) term "non-stop" is also perfectly comprehensible.

Why, then, does the media routinely misuse the terms in relation to airlines, when airlines use the words in exactly the same way? I suspect that they are as much as anything the source of the popular misconception that (unlike on railways) a "direct" flight must be a "non-stop" flight. It's as untrue for an airliner as for a train - although a "non-stop" flight (or train) must be a "direct" flight (or train).
I understand everything you have said and was said previously. I have several family members who are working or have worked in commercial aviation, so I know/use the (supposed correct) use of the term "direct" for some time. I just don't think it is intelligently attributed. I can probably go with the train usage. But the aviation usage still seems somewhat stupid to me. And I think the media routinely misuses the term because of this. The logic for it is somewhat lacking.

I would provide a road vehicle analogy but I think we are firmly OT now, and it's my fault. Apologies...

rb211.
Old Oct 13, 19, 2:59 pm
Suspended

BACF flights LCY to MANchester start 13th December, MANchester to Chambery and Salzburg start 14th December and MANchester to LCY 15th December.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: