Club/First questions

Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA & Flying Club
Club/First questions

Hi Im a bit late with a booking to Australia. Was flying via HK with Virgin but due to whats going on there weve cancelled (luckily was booked with airmiles). Managed to book to Singapore with BA.

Going club class out, can I take a guest in the lounge like with Virgin? Also can you pay for extra guests to go in? If so how much?

Flying back home Ive booked first class - it was 200 extra and curiosity got the better of me. Flown club and upper but never first class. Question is, is it worth it? Whats the difference?

I normally research a lot but HK has been booked since December and all of a sudden were going to Singapore, so Im busy looking at that.

Amy help much appreciated.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Vivalasvegas
Hi I’m a bit late with a booking to Australia. Was flying via HK with Virgin but due to what’s going on there we’ve cancelled (luckily was booked with airmiles). Managed to book to Singapore with BA.

Going club class out, can I take a guest in the lounge like with Virgin? Also can you pay for extra guests to go in? If so how much?

Flying back home I’ve booked first class - it was 200 extra and curiosity got the better of me. Flown club and upper but never first class. Question is, is it worth it? What’s the difference?

I normally research a lot but HK has been booked since December and all of a sudden we’re going to Singapore, so I’m busy looking at that.

Amy help much appreciated.
Hi,

Unless you have status , Club does not allow for guesting priviliges ( first class does) and you cannot pay for extra guests.

That is an excellent deal for F back from Australia.
Lots of threads on here but the main ones;

Larger seat ( all have aisle access)
Better bedding
First class lounges
Dine on demand ( food and drinks should be better than in club)
Electronic window blinds
First room at Sin
More personalised service on board with a better crew/pax ratio
PJs and slippers
Concorde Room arrival at LHR ( if arriving while it is open)
Free seat allocation ( unless with status you have to pay for seast choice in CW prior to OLCI)
Larger IFE screens ( same content though)
I think transiting via HK is generally fine ( problems have been landside and getting to the airport from downtown) but probably sensible to go via sin

Are you flying straight through or having a break in SIN for a day or 2?

Regards

TBS
Crampedin13A likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Oct 12, 2019 at 8:58 am
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Unless you have status , Club does not allow for guesting priviliges ( first class does) and you cannot pay for extra guests.

That is an excellent deal for F back from Australia.
Lots of threads on here but the main ones;

Larger seat ( all have aisle access)
Better bedding
First class lounges
Dine on demand ( food and drinks should be better)
Electronic window blinds
First room at Sin
More personalised service on board with a better crew/pax ratio
PJs and slippers
Concorde Room arrival at LHR ( if arriving while it is open)
Free seat allocation ( unless with status you have to pay for seast choice in CW prior to OLCI)

I think transiting via HK is generally fine ( problems have been landside and getting to the airport from downtown) but probably sensible to go via sin

Are you flying straight through or having a break in SIN for a day or 2?

Regards

TBS
Thank you for your help, much appreciated. I should have said the BA bit is only return to Singapore so its 200 for that leg not all the way to Australia. Weve booked Quantas for the other bit as were doing multi city and we wanted the better seats for the long bit.

weve decided to stop in Singapore for 4 nights and really looking forward to it - trying to do some research on TA as we know nothing about it.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vivalasvegas
Thank you for your help, much appreciated. I should have said the BA bit is only return to Singapore so it’s 200 for that leg not all the way to Australia. We’ve booked Quantas for the other bit as we’re doing multi city and we wanted the better seats for the long bit.

weve decided to stop in Singapore for 4 nights and really looking forward to it - trying to do some research on TA as we know nothing about it.

Hi,
Still a very good price to upgrade to F as it is a long haul it SIN.
Lots of good information in the Singapore destination Forum here on Flyertalk. OT- I was there in July ( Stayed at the Hilton and Conrad both good hotels)- I would not miss the Gardens by the Bay and the botanical gardens ( esp the National orchid garden) , a walk around the Marina, Little India, Arab stret ( views from the top of the Marina Bay sands are great on a good day) .There is also Universal Studios. Flying back you can check in early (the Jewel at Changi airport is impressive even to see it just once)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Hi,
Still a very good price to upgrade to F as it is a long haul it SIN.
Lots of good information in the Singapore destination Forum here on Flyertalk. OT- I was there in July ( Stayed at the Hilton and Conrad both good hotels)- I would not miss the Gardens by the Bay and the botanical gardens ( esp the National orchid garden) , a walk around the Marina, Little India, Arab stret ( views from the top of the Marina Bay sands are great on a good day) .There is also Universal Studios. Flying back you can check in early (the Jewel at Changi airport is impressive even to see it just once)

Regards

TBS
Very helpful TBS, Ill look into all this.

Really looking forward to seeing Singapore. Thank you.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:27 pm

OT- I was there in July ( Stayed at the Hilton and Conrad both good hotels)- I would not miss the Gardens by the Bay and the botanical gardens ( esp the National orchid garden) , a walk around the Marina, Little India, Arab stret ( views from the top of the Marina Bay sands are great on a good day) .There is also Universal Studios. Flying back you can check in early (the Jewel at Changi airport is impressive even to see it just once)
To indulge the OT-ness for a second... +1 for Arab St and the surrounding few streets for a flavour of old Singapore - some very attractive old shophouses and some nice quirky smaller bars and restaurants. Check whether MBS deck is open to non-residents - I thought it was not, but that is a few years ago (when I was staying there anyway). Jumbo Seafood at ECP for chilli crab one night if that floats your boat... great food, lively ambience and good people watching.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, the envy. I doubt Singapore is anything like the one I enjoyed when living/working there for 2.5 years in the late 60s, but I’d still like to go back there. It was, and I guess still is, an amazing place.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djbenedict
To indulge the OT-ness for a second... +1 for Arab St and the surrounding few streets for a flavour of old Singapore - some very attractive old shophouses and some nice quirky smaller bars and restaurants. Check whether MBS deck is open to non-residents - I thought it was not, but that is a few years ago (when I was staying there anyway). Jumbo Seafood at ECP for chilli crab one night if that floats your boat... great food, lively ambience and good people watching.

Hi,

There is a separate observation deck accessed from Tower 3 ( as well as the bars and swimming pool ( the pool is open to guests only I beleive) open to all upon payment . You can buy a observation deck ticket only or for a few extra dollars get the deck visit and a singapore sling- the sling was more like a frozen slushie but on a hot day it was nice to drink whilst watching the views. Not sure about the minimum spend at the bars.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, the envy. I doubt Singapore is anything like the one I enjoyed when living/working there for 2.5 years in the late 60s, but I’d still like to go back there. It was, and I guess still is, an amazing place.
Do it. The Hilton Garden Inn is cheap, and so are Club World flights from Sweden, Italy, and Germany. (Never mind the fact that we might get you on Qatar from Stockholm for even less if they're having a frequent sale).
The _Banking_Scot and Lefly like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

An F ticket allows you to guest someone into the lounge, by the way, if that is of any use.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
We were in Singapore for the F1 race last month and also made a point to grab a Singapore Sling at the Long Bar at the Raffles hotel. Only 1 each mind you as they were 32 SGD each (about 18.50 GBP, or 24USD in my money)
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Singapore is an amazing place to visit. Agree with recommendations above. Also worth trying out Sunday Brunch at Raffles Hotel and don't forget a trip to Sentosa Island!!

Flying F has the benefits described above by TBS. If you have a connection from London on way home you'll also get CCR at T5, or failing that access to the Concorde Dining area within the arrivals lounge at LHR.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

One more question if I may, wheres a good seat in club? The plane is ba0011 which is an airbus 380 I think, a type of p,and I’ve never been on. I’ve read about seats where you need to climb over people to get out so thought I’d ask. Looking at the seat configuration it looks less crowded upstairs, but I’m not sure if that’s a smaller space.

out of interest when I logged in the other day I had a message that flagged up, offering me a special upgrade to 1st on the way out for 515ish which I didn’t bother with. I logged in today and there was no message but I looked for the upgrade link out of interest - 3,500 for the one leg! Curiosity nothing more as I wasn’t going to spend more.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

There is a dedicated A380 forum which will have the best seats . I personally like the upper deck ( as a lot of the main deck club world window seats have views of the wings). I think window seats where you do not have to climb over the aisle person's footstool on the upper deck are 53 and 59 ( 59 is just ahead of the bulkhead dividing CW and WT+ and 53 is ahead of the galley area and upper deck boarding door)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

hi TBS

Thanks again for your help, Ill definitely look to book upstairs.

Ill also try and find the A380 forum for advice.

many thanks Stephen

Hi,

There is a dedicated A380 forum which will have the best seats . I personally like the upper deck ( as a lot of the main deck club world window seats have views of the wings). I think window seats where you do not have to climb over the aisle person's footstool on the upper deck are 53 and 59 ( 59 is just ahead of the bulkhead dividing CW and WT+ and 53 is ahead of the galley area and upper deck boarding door)

Regards

TBS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.