Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

3500 euro expiring BA credit have to book something - HELP!

3500 euro expiring BA credit have to book something - HELP!

Old Oct 8, 19, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Question 3500 euro expiring BA credit have to book something - HELP!

Unusual / tricky fare question. I have to burn a 3500~ Euro use it or lose it voucher on BA which expires in the next few days and want to get some bang for my buck as its also a once in lifetime kind of opportunity. I am BA silver, some years gold, based in Europe. I have tried ITA Matrix, & various ff blogs for current big deals (even my corporate TA who was only able to find AF/skyteam deals this week). Help me FT You're my only hope :-) .

-I can have more than one trip on the itinerary & am solo for this trip.
-Any unused value is lost, but I have the budget to pay a little over for anything interesting. (I can pad the itin. with dub-lhr returns, if the plan is <3500).
-Origin airport: I am based in DUB, but can ex-eu pretty much anywhere as I've miles with a few ff plans.
-Duration: 5-20+ days any time after feb 8th 2020 (my BA annual renewal date, might as well gun for some TP's but not the main goal) and I have availability also for a second trip on the itinerary late nov/dec 2019 any duration.
-Destination: Almost anywhere I LOVE to travel and fly. I work a lot in continental USA and Europe so can give them a miss as the destination. So like oceana/Asia/se asia/ Canada/Latin america/ etc. other than warzones and the no-alcohol enforced gulf states, as I am fond of a beer :-) .
-Biz is preferred, but prem is fine.

I know I can get a straight traditional return nearly anywhere in biz for that off peak but after much reading and failed attempts I feel like you experts could figure how to get the most bang for my buck considering the restrictions and how open I am to travel once its on a BA or OW codeshare.

Cheers!
(Ps @MoDs - I first went to put it in the ticket clinic but thought the multi-trip trying bang-for-buck might give it broader appeal.. if I was off the mark please feel free to give me the boot).
Old Oct 8, 19, 3:34 pm

With only a few days left I would look at the BA website and go where you wish rather than be concerned with bangs for bucks.
Yllanes, orbitmic and stevie like this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Use it to fly to Australia in business class.
Cymro likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It might be fun to fly somewhere in FC and be able to use the Concorde room at LHR.

BTW, are you sure it's ticket by (versus fly by) then expiration date? Must all flights be BA operated?

Where do you want to go? I like Singapore and Australia. I'd suggest Hong Kong too, but the situation is too uncertain IMO.
Old Oct 8, 19, 3:56 pm
mhy

Programs: JAL Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
DUB-YVR via LHR in BA F (CE on DUB-LHR legs) is showing ~3800-3900 euros in March next year.
Old Oct 8, 19, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it really is "ticket by" rather than "fly by" then hop on the BA website and find the place you want to go which best meets your criteria. If it is "fly by" you obviously have very limited options and need to be less selective.

What represents good value for you will be different than others, so it really comes down to what you want.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
For "bang for your buck", you would have a hard time beating South Africa in the European winter.
Old Oct 8, 19, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Thanks for all the great replies, and I will verify the book-by vs fly-by as discussed above. I think my phrasing wasn't great - I have enough marriott points and certs for nearly anywhere i'd go so when I say bang for my buck I just mean getting some nice J flights (or F - thanks mhy ) and a few tier points. Vancouver is a great spot. Singapore sounds great too. If anything else or interesting routings come to anyone's mind please let me know.

Cheers,
Daniel
mhy likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
If you can go to Australia in late November, do it. It will be getting hot by then, but I was there last November, and spring down under is incredible. Be sure to includeTasmania - unspoiled beauty and friendly people.
IslandTraveller likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 8:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa View Post
If you can go to Australia in late November, do it. It will be getting hot by then, but I was there last November, and spring down under is incredible. Be sure to includeTasmania - unspoiled beauty and friendly people.
Just be aware that it gets to be high season in Australia as Christmas approaches and hotel availability will be very limited in destinations like Sydney.
Old Oct 8, 19, 11:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Just be aware that it gets to be high season in Australia as Christmas approaches and hotel availability will be very limited in destinations like Sydney.
To be honest, I cannot remember ever having any issues with hotel availability in November or until around 10/15 December in Sydney or elsewhere in Australia in the absence of a major event near the specific location.
Old Oct 8, 19, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
To be honest, I cannot remember ever having any issues with hotel availability in November or until around 10/15 December in Sydney or elsewhere in Australia in the absence of a major event near the specific location.
True. Note that I said "as Christmas approaches" not "starting in November."
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by IslandTraveller View Post
Thanks for all the great replies, and I will verify the book-by vs fly-by as discussed above. I think my phrasing wasn't great - I have enough marriott points and certs for nearly anywhere i'd go so when I say bang for my buck I just mean getting some nice J flights (or F - thanks mhy ) and a few tier points. Vancouver is a great spot. Singapore sounds great too. If anything else or interesting routings come to anyone's mind please let me know.

Cheers,
Daniel
I hope you have a great holiday wherever that may be IslandTraveller and enjoy the use of that voucher. Of course let me say welcome to Flyertalk and here over on the BA Board, a place full of a lot of quality information from both regulars and infrequent posters and travellers.

For what it's worth Singapore is a great place and a trip report springs to mind. An older one but nevertheless an excellent one but there are many over on the trip report forum including Australia. Ex-OSL-SYD fares may be worth looking at around £2600 ish for your approximate dates.

Singapore | BA first class flights, ten days at the Mandarin Oriental, out & about
Old Oct 9, 19, 1:23 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
QR in J via DOH to somewhere decent? That way you get what - 540 TPs? So basically Silver all but guaranteed for that year and a good leg up towards Gold. Probably reasonable hard product and destination wise I presume you can get somewhere nice.
Old Oct 9, 19, 2:39 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
My advice would be ex-OSL or ARN to Australia or New Zealand.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: