Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA First Class? [8F configured Boeing 772]

New BA First Class? [8F configured Boeing 772]

Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Swiss also has one toilet in F cabin for 8 passengers on the A333 and the A340 and it is still solid product and money making machine for LX.
I have not the slightest doubt that it’ll be a money making machine for BA.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass
You would have thought they would have got the new first cabin sorted ready for one refurb in one go??
aircraft will have to be taken Out of service again ??
The new First suite is some way off being ready; I suspect we won't see it until the first 77W is refurbished in July next year (or the next new 77W is delivered, whichever comes first).

I highly doubt the 772s will be refurbished again, and instead will be retired with the refreshed current generation First seat. I'm surprised that the 772s are retaining an F cabin at all (although admittedly F is being removed from the G-YMM* series).
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: Some
Swiss also has one toilet in F cabin for 8 passengers on the A333 and the A340 and it is still solid product and money making machine for LX.
Indeed, except amusingly Swiss is going the other direction by adding a second loo to the A340 in F as they refurbish them whilst BA is removing one.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Genius1
My view is they’re interested in both types of passenger equally. The average frequent flyer who has enough Avios to redeem for First travel will be fairly loyal to BA in any case.
Oh yes they’ll want to keep you loyal, but don’t need to offer F redemptions to do that. This re-size is purely based on making F more profitable.

its a stepping stone too, once the number flying F reduces and the cabin is more profitable, expect more of the other improvements we often talk about which will suddenly become more feasible such as improved ground experiences.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
The new First suite is some way off being ready; I suspect we won't see it until the first 77W is refurbished in July next year (or the next new 77W is delivered, whichever comes first).
or even until the 77X arrives!
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Oh yes they’ll want to keep you loyal, but don’t need to offer F redemptions to do that. This re-size is purely based on making F more profitable.

its a stepping stone too, once the number flying F reduces and the cabin is more profitable, expect more of the other improvements we often talk about which will suddenly become more feasible such as improved ground experiences.
Perhaps, but it's also about making the Club Suite commercially viable by increasing seat count by 1 on the 772 versus the current configuration on 4-class 772s. To increase J seat count the F cabin had to be reduced in size due to the less dense configuration of the Club Suite compared to the current Club World seat.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Why would they? There is a very limited amount of actual competition in the F market - if luxury and convenience is important enough for someone to spend £10k then they're not going to change planes in Frankfurt or the Arabian desert. That limits competition to other flag carriers - so either BA compete against the likes of SQ, or they don't. I have a feeling I know how this will end.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
In terms of cabin crew numbers the reduction in the F cabin is win win in some ways. First CC / passenger ratio improves from 3/14 to 2/8 but there is now 1 more CC for CW which is where BA makes its money.
Cap'n Benj likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
CX has only 6 seats in F cabin not 8.
i stand corrected on the number!

yet they still have more availability than BA
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Club

You can imagine when I saw this I was like “OMG FTers will NEED this” lol! Here you go guys!

Last edited by opus99; Oct 11, 2019 at 7:07 am
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by opus99

You can imagine when I saw this I was like “OMG FTers will NEED this” lol! Here you guys go!
That mood lighting though! I absolutely love!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Mood lighting looks great. In fairness the Thales system is pretty good. The Panasonic is likely better, but considering the 77W, A380 and 787 all have it, it’s hardly unacceptable. If/when the 787 and A380 get refitted I guess they’ll keep the Thales system too.

Does the Panasonic system offer any additional functionality?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

I highly doubt the 772s will be refurbished again, and instead will be retired with the refreshed current generation First seat. I'm surprised that the 772s are retaining an F cabin at all (although admittedly F is being removed from the G-YMM* series).
Is there any news on it being significantly different to what they have now?

id have thought at best we’d be getting a 787 type interior, which, it seems, many think is not an upgrade anyway
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass
You would have thought they would have got the new first cabin sorted ready for one refurb in one go?? We now seem to be creating a very fragmented product with new WT and WT+ with old club world at Gatwick, new club suite with old first and new WT and second generation WT+
current furst is not actually that private even though the space is very good
aircraft will have to be taken Out of service again ??
Before I left there was some Q&A qith Alex at some event - a quarterly forum of some sort - and a question was asked around if and when LGW would get the new Club suite, and why wasn't the refresh done with that in already. After a brief moment of recognition where we all remembered about the existance of the West Sussex Flying Club, Alex said that they hadn't done so because of a) misalignment in timescales and b) because the LGW market is fundamentally different from LHR's, with the possible exception of a couple of routes. He also said there were no plans, back then, to retrofit.

In all honesty it made sense, at the end of the day if there's a belief that the clientele won't pay the premium to justify the extra cash (and retrofits are eye-wateringly expensive) why bother? Sure, it makes all the more mysterious why BDA isn't flying on a 789 out of LHR, but hey ho. If there's an odd one out of the LGW route that's the one.

As for First... I'd say it hasn't been refurbished because it was too much of an effort/cost at this time. I think it's a missed opportunity, for they might not want to do it on a 20-year-old 77E, but how about a 5-year-old 77W, or a 380?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Mood lighting looks great. In fairness the Thales system is pretty good. The Panasonic is likely better, but considering the 77W, A380 and 787 all have it, it’s hardly unacceptable. If/when the 787 and A380 get refitted I guess they’ll keep the Thales system too.

Does the Panasonic system offer any additional functionality?
It seems the club suite is operating Panasonic I believe. Like the 747s. I don’t know what’s happening at the back. But I think the Panasonic is just more responsive than Thales really and has a nicer interface

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.