Can you pick up mine at the same time?
Globaliser and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Markie
Seems somewhat undercharged!
Criminal Damage doesn't need actual damage, just a cost to clear it up.
They seem to be prosecuting them all for the most minor thing they can find. Depending on which part of the Public Order Act they are charging him under, it could be imprisonable.
Undercharged? He appears not to have been charged under the Public Order Act (or any Act for that matter) but charged with an offence of public nuisance contrary to common law ... the maximum sentence for which is life imprisonment!
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:52 am

I hear he has pleaded not guilty to the charge and the case sent up to Southwark Crown Court in London for trial on 8 November.

The District judge granted conditional bail prohibiting Brown from going within one mile of any airport in the UK.

This will be a tough charge to prosecute.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Undercharged? He appears not to have been charged under the Public Order Act (or any Act for that matter) but charged with an offence of public nuisance contrary to common law ... the maximum sentence for which is life imprisonment!
Yes, and what is the likelihood of our over soft judiciary imposing the maximum sentence if he is found guilty? More likely it will be the minimum sentence they feel they can get sway with.
Englishlee0710 likes this.

Last edited by kanderson1965; Oct 12, 2019 at 4:59 am
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Criminal Damage doesn't need actual damage, just a cost to clear it up.
They seem to be prosecuting them all for the most minor thing they can find. Depending on which part of the Public Order Act they are charging him under, it could be imprisonable.
A lifetime flying ban on any airline seems the most appropriate punishment since it accords with their beliefs on the cause of climate change.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Yes, and what is the likelihood of our over soft judiciary imposing the maximum sentence?...
Zero chance, the offence does not warrant such a sentence.

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
...More likely it will be the minimum sentence they feel they can get sway with.
I disagree, should he find himself convicted of this offence (and Im not sure he will) the Crown Court will not be soft on him but will hand down a sentence appropriate to the seriousness and circumstances of the offence.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
I take 100 flights per year including some back to back tier point runs. I also totally support XR’s ambitions.
Are these flights all in economy, seems like a lot and your tp runs aren’t necessary (not trying to be difficult).
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by carat22
Are these flights all in economy, seems like a lot and your tp runs arent necessary (not trying to be difficult).
Many are Avios flights on cash- expensive summer routes. I earn in 5 months of the year and spend in 7 months.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Sky News in the UK are publishing/broadcasting that photograph and reporting it is a Paralympic Medalist James Brown who has climbed on that aircraft - so it appears not to be Photoshopped:

https://news.sky.com/story/flight-re...board-11832001
If he's able to climb on top of an aircraft, he certainly shouldn't need to be part of the pre-boarders.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
Many are Avios flights on cash- expensive summer routes. I earn in 5 months of the year and spend in 7 months.
Surely you can't be serious, you claim to support their aims, but then say you take completely unnecessary flights to earn gold status and to use up avios points.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
I'd love to see some kind of calculation of their impact... How much environmental impact they have had directly with these protests..... I'm pretty sure with all the extra police dragged in by diesel car, van, coach, the extra fuel burn of the plane that had to return to the terminal, the old diesel fire engine that probably wasn't even euro 4 compliant they were driving around in, etc etc they have caused more damage than they have prevented.

I'd also like to see if those protestor who travelled by car, diesel train or coach offset their carbon emissions for their journey as some of us who fly a lot fo.

I suspect the result would be somewhat hypocritical.

One was interviewed on the BBC and didnt have an answer when asked to explain why she had driven to the event from Scotland in a diesel van!
wrp96 and Irreverent Medusa like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Bongodog1964
Surely you can't be serious, you claim to support their aims, but then say you take completely unnecessary flights to earn gold status and to use up avios points.
The flights are going anyway. Refusing to fly on one makes ~ zero difference. Apart fro
m saving loads of dosh.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Originally Posted by WhyteIG
The flights are going anyway. Refusing to fly on one makes ~ zero difference. Apart fro
m saving loads of dosh.
Yes, but it's interesting to see how the social change in Scandinavia ("flygskam") is affecting the airline industry out there. Prices have fallen markedly, it won't be too long before some routes begin failing due to commercial viability.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by email2markt
Yes, but it's interesting to see how the social change in Scandinavia ("flygskam") is affecting the airline industry out there. Prices have fallen markedly, it won't be too long before some routes begin failing due to commercial viability.
There seems to be a lot of publkc demand to reintroduce some ferry routes from parts of Scandinavia in the 'backlash' on air travel, Esbjerg to UK being a key which was killed of by DFDS around 5 years ago.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by WhyteIG
The flights are going anyway. Refusing to fly on one makes ~ zero difference.
That's a bit like the argument that one vote out of 30 million potential vote makes no difference, so there's no point in voting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.