Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extinction Rebellion at LCY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
This tweet (plus related tweets inc video) have other photos / angles etc.

Must have been a pretty keen leap to get from the stairs to the top of the plane?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
I should camp outside their 3 bed semi in Hertfordshire later in the year and stop them getting home but tell them it's for their own good...
Prefer it if you didn't. Thameslink do enough stopping me from getting home from London as it is...

As others have said, whilst their protest may, to a certain degree, have some merit, they are going about it completely the wrong way.
wrp96 and wilsnunn like this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Seriously, how on earth did he manage to get onto the top of a plane and then glue himself to it . Really How?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Krisz
Well according to DM he was banned from athletics because of doping violation. Also he was arrested in relation for the drone attack in LHR. So I doubt he wants to fly to Tokyo next year. But I agree he should be jailed banned from all airlines and should cover the cost of the damage he causing.
That is disgusting. I think if that is so he should return his bronze medal if he hasn't already and I also think he should be referred to as a banned athlete and any reference to Paralympics removed. Otherwise he sullies the reputation of that organisation and other paralympians who compete without breaking the rules. What an @rse!
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Funky Spike
Video of the protestor on the flight.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50000110

Spike
I did like it that the plane then had to refuel after the protestor was taken off the flight. Great result!
MSPeconomist and hartwith like this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that the protestors' persistence, if they have enough, will ultimately ensure their success. If they're targeting three days of shutdown, I'm confident that after 2˝ days they will have ground down the airport's, BA's and other airlines' resistance, and secured their desired shutdown for the remainder of the planned period.
Essential then that their persistence is eliminated quickly.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by rruaco
Blocking cycle lanes is a bit of an own goal, but disrupting air transport seems fairly reasonble for a group protesting against climate change.

I'm sure I'd be annoyed if they messed with my flight... but that's sort of the point of a protest, isn't it? Annoying people until they take an issue seriously is effective as demonstrated by the suffragettes - not much happened until they started employing arson and property damage as a tactic in 1908-1911.
Actually, still, nothing happened even when they did that (employing more radical tactics).

The vote for women came about in 1918 and amended to the same rights as men in 1928.
From a historical context, (or the view on this subject I learned when studying this at school) was that this had more to do with the part women played in the war effort than the more radical elements of the suffragette movement.
mario and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
All of you saying how disruption meant more flights for yourselves or refueling and therefore more emissions are clearly missing the point of all of this #justsaying
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
I was supposed to be flying to Amsterdam today out of LCY to catch an ex-EU to South Africa tomorrow. Thanks to their stunts, I've deferred the flight to next month and booked an avios flight out of LHR so they're directly responsible for me taking more, not less flights.

I do agree with a lot of what they say but they're going about it a bad way. It seems to be a rather polarising, passive aggressive finger pointing exercise that's not trying to get people on side but to valid their own positions and echo chambers. Most of the protesters aren't even from London (as far as the interviews given appear) but seem to be having a holiday coming down to my city to **** things up for me. I should camp outside their 3 bed semi in Hertfordshire later in the year and stop them getting home but tell them it's for their own good...
Might be better to get the power utilities to cut them off in order to lower their impact on the planet as well as confiscate they high tech gadgets which require the earth’s resources to produce. After all if they are truly trying to set an example ...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by ironmouse
Seriously, how on earth did he manage to get onto the top of a plane and then glue himself to it . Really How?
I mean, i'm 6ft6 and able bodied, and I don't think I could do it. That's quite a feat. Perhaps he was a paralympic high jumper?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AJA_
These stunts are so stupid. I do hope the one that was a "passenger" gets banned from flying on any airline. It will suit him as it appears he doesn't want to fly anyway.

I also am amazed that the Paralympic athlete got on top of that plane. He deserves to be banned from flying too. That will make his chances of getting to Tokyo very difficult. I also hope that these idiots are sent the bill for the cost of removing them from the aircraft plus any associated bills for causing flight delays.
Trans-Siberia railroad followed by boat(s) would be a hardship, I'm sure.

BTW, I ate a grilled steak last night in honor of the protestors. It was good.

ADDED: What's the guy's disability and what's his sport? Is he well known in the UK for his athletic achievements or just for the doping and now this?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Oct 10, 2019 at 9:44 am
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I mean, i'm 6ft6 and able bodied, and I don't think I could do it. That's quite a feat. Perhaps he was a paralympic high jumper?
The aircraft is an Embraer, which isn't all too high. If you use the handles of the steps and the bits of the door (which, having a gust lock, is pretty secure) then it's doable. Plus I think there are some antennae up top.

The problem is that, by doing that, he might've damaged the aircraft.

I'm sympathetic to their cause, I too am worried about the environment so much so that I'm actively limiting my flights and offsetting the ones I do (plus I don't own a car and I live in a very energy efficient flat), but this is criminal. That bloke risked death, potentially damaged a plane and inconvienced a lot of people; the other fella who stood up at take off managed to waste a lot more fuel (had he been on a 747 at LHR it'd have been an extra ton of fuel for taxiing). I hope they do get banned.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by 13901
The aircraft is an Embraer, which isn't all too high. If you use the handles of the steps and the bits of the door (which, having a gust lock, is pretty secure) then it's doable. Plus I think there are some antennae up top.
Yep - my most flown BA plane in recent years! I have to duck to get in, but it's still a big shiny slippery tube. But you're right, he must have grabbed a few antennae and whatever to hoist himself up but I can't see anything obvious

Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Yep - my most flown BA plane in recent years! I have to duck to get in, but it's still a big shiny slippery tube. But you're right, he must have grabbed a few antennae and whatever to hoist himself up but I can't see anything obvious

Whatever needs replacing, plus the engineers' time and the cost of the grounded aircraft, ought to be billed to this guy.

As I said, I'm sympathetic to his cause, and changes need to happen but... not like this. Also because, if there's something worth chaining yourself in front of, that might be the feeder conveyor for some coal-powered power station (if you want to get the biggest bang for your buck).
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

We should all be driving electric cars now. Much better for the environment. And everyone can get a diesel powered generator like this installed

Obruni Boy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.