Wiki Posts
Search

Extinction Rebellion at LCY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Success at shutting down LCY not success at their stated aims.
I think that Irreverent Medusa got the point.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I grant it's the Daily Mail - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-airport.html
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Looks like they haven’t even got 400 people to sign-up, so hopefully no issues

(while I have sympathy with their aims I don’t like the tactics. Blocking public transport previously, cycle lanes etc...)
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It appears that, so far, the number of XR protestors who have turned up at LCY is in the dozens, not the hundreds, and they are only staging a sit-down protest at the entrance to the DLR station. They haven't been allowed to enter the airport itself. One flight, to Dublin, was delayed by a protestor on board but he was arrested and the flight departed.

The Guardian
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Video of the protestor on the flight.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50000110

Spike
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
You have to wonder about security when this is possible

MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Not sure there's a whole lot that LCY security can be expected to do about photoshop ?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Not sure there's a whole lot that LCY security can be expected to do about photoshop ?
Sky News in the UK are publishing/broadcasting that photograph and reporting it is a Paralympic Medalist James Brown who has climbed on that aircraft - so it appears not to be Photoshopped:

https://news.sky.com/story/flight-re...board-11832001
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:00 am

I’ve paid a lot of money in the past to watch wing walkers, go on, taxi to the end of the runway!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
These stunts are so stupid. I do hope the one that was a "passenger" gets banned from flying on any airline. It will suit him as it appears he doesn't want to fly anyway.

I also am amazed that the Paralympic athlete got on top of that plane. He deserves to be banned from flying too. That will make his chances of getting to Tokyo very difficult. I also hope that these idiots are sent the bill for the cost of removing them from the aircraft plus any associated bills for causing flight delays.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
yeah I see that now .. the first one did look rather photoshopped in my hasty jumping to conclusions !
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I was supposed to be flying to Amsterdam today out of LCY to catch an ex-EU to South Africa tomorrow. Thanks to their stunts, I've deferred the flight to next month and booked an avios flight out of LHR so they're directly responsible for me taking more, not less flights.

I do agree with a lot of what they say but they're going about it a bad way. It seems to be a rather polarising, passive aggressive finger pointing exercise that's not trying to get people on side but to valid their own positions and echo chambers. Most of the protesters aren't even from London (as far as the interviews given appear) but seem to be having a holiday coming down to my city to **** things up for me. I should camp outside their 3 bed semi in Hertfordshire later in the year and stop them getting home but tell them it's for their own good...
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by GaxxyFlyer; Oct 10, 2019 at 7:25 am
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Also reported in the Daily Mail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-airport.html

Seems he had a ticket for the flight and climbed up onto the roof of the plane as he was boarding. He and any other protestors causing trouble at airports should be banned from all UK airports for life. I certainly hope that BA bans him.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by AJA_
These stunts are so stupid. I do hope the one that was a "passenger" gets banned from flying on any airline. It will suit him as it appears he doesn't want to fly anyway.

I also am amazed that the Paralympic athlete got on top of that plane. He deserves to be banned from flying too. That will make his chances of getting to Tokyo very difficult. I also hope that these idiots are sent the bill for the cost of removing them from the aircraft plus any associated bills for causing flight delays.
Well according to DM he was banned from athletics because of doping violation. Also he was arrested in relation for the drone attack in LHR. So I doubt he wants to fly to Tokyo next year. But I agree he should be jailed banned from all airlines and should cover the cost of the damage he causing.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Looks like they haven’t even got 400 people to sign-up, so hopefully no issues

(while I have sympathy with their aims I don’t like the tactics. Blocking public transport previously, cycle lanes etc...)
Blocking cycle lanes is a bit of an own goal, but disrupting air transport seems fairly reasonble for a group protesting against climate change.

I'm sure I'd be annoyed if they messed with my flight... but that's sort of the point of a protest, isn't it? Annoying people until they take an issue seriously is effective as demonstrated by the suffragettes - not much happened until they started employing arson and property damage as a tactic in 1908-1911.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.