Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First time in Concorde Lounge and First daytime flight

Old Oct 7, 19, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Saturday I had my first trip on BA first from LHR to SFO. I upgraded once about a year ago on the overnight from SFO-LHR.

I fly this route twice per year for work in CW and for this trip I decided to splurge and upgrade myself to first. I really enjoyed the experience.

I arrived at the airport around 10:30 for my 2:15 flight and went right through First check in and security. I stopped at the VAT refund desk as I had done enough shopping to warrant a 20 minute wait in line. The woman at check in was kind enough to tell me that there would be a shorter line inside and since I had what I bought with me, it was easy.

The Concord Lounge was exactly as described. lots of cosy spaces to relax and enjoy personal service. I was promptly brought over a latte and passed on food. They were switching over to lunch and the food looked great. I instead had a beautiful cheese plate that was offered for self service at the bar. I wish I could have seen the tea set up.

Went to my gate in time for them to start calling group 1, my wait was less than 5 minutes to board. Once boarded the team came over and introduced themselves to me and asked me if I wanted Pajamas (YES) and to hand out the amenities bag. The bag was as described and the PJ's were super comfortable. for sizing, I am an American medium size 12 and the Medium was a perfect fit.

I was in seat 2A and settled in. The menu came around and I ordered the salmon and beef. They started with an amuse bouche which was delicious and the salmon was fresh and light. The beef was very well done with the sides of potatoes, beans and cabbage. The bread was warm, fresh with butter and olive oil which was a great touch. I didn't love my main course, but enjoyed the service. I had the ice cream which was a nice end to the meal with fresh raspberries and chocolate straws. The FA came by and asked if I would like my bed made up which I did and hoped to sleep. At the 4 hour make, we had 30 minutes of turbulence which was more of a roller coaster ride then bumps. The FA later told me, she had never felt it that way before. I am someone who does not love flying, I have to fly a lot for work and love to travel, so I fly but never without a bit of nervousness. The flight was smooth the rest of the way, but I decided to stay up.

I watched a lot of TV and the FA came by to ask if I wanted to tea, it was a perfect time and loved the china tea service with a biscuit. It wasn't a full tea, but a nice snack before the meal later in the flight.

The light meal, was a goat cheese appetizer and I had the gnudi. The sauce was flavorful and the gnudi hit the spot. The chocolate desert was amazing. It was dense and decadent with orange sauce and kumquats.

We landed about 45 minutes early and with global entry was at baggage claim in 15 minutes.

I really enjoyed my experience and would definitely take advantage of an upgrade in the future. upgrading to first also pushed my AA status to Platinum Pro for next year which was a nice added benefit.

Old Oct 7, 19, 8:40 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
Next time if you decide to upgrade, try and get a slightly later flight, but arrive at the same time as you did. You can the get breakfast, lunch and enjoy the afternoon tea! Plus the cheese at the bar. The afternoon tea is a great improvement.

Sounds like you had a great experience.

Plus the aadvantage as well!!
spaige and TTmex like this.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Oct 7, 19 at 8:46 am
Old Oct 7, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Looks like our regular readers are asleep: you should by now have had someone pounce to tell you it's the Concorde Room (not Lounge).

That aside, it's great you enjoyed your flight and ground service. And despite what others say I don't think what you experienced was the exception. The majority of my long hauls in F are like yours (even down to the iffy steak) and I arrive at destination feeling mellow. I hope you get to try it again.
thomas164, HIDDY and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by fripperies View Post
Looks like our regular readers are asleep: you should by now have had someone pounce to tell you it's the Concorde Room (not Lounge).

That aside, it's great you enjoyed your flight and ground service. And despite what others say I don't think what you experienced was the exception. The majority of my long hauls in F are like yours (even down to the iffy steak) and I arrive at destination feeling mellow. I hope you get to try it again.
Ooops, I will be ready for it. Can I say I am still jet lagged ?

I hope I can too and would book the later flight to fully enjoy the room.
Old Oct 7, 19, 1:35 pm

Programs: B A Gold
Glad you enjoyed .... use it regularly and never take it for granted
Old Oct 7, 19, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA gold
Is that a chipped bowl for the dessert?
Discovery Bay likes this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Grumpyflyer View Post
Is that a chipped bowl for the dessert?
Oh, I'm certain that must be a "signature touch' of the artist who designed the collection...

GC
Old Oct 7, 19, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
OP, you nailed one aspect of the CCR that DH and I love: The "coziness".

I hadn't thought of that word, but that captures it. The nice comfy furniture...

That is precisely what is missing in other "similar" places, including some that generally get better reviews, such as the LH F Lounge at FRA.
The modern furniture isn't especially visually special, but far more important, it's not *comfortable" the way the CCR furniture is.
I realize this may be a generational thing, but it still makes the CCR head and shoulders above the others we've experience to date, which I admit is (unfortunately) not too many F lounges *yet*...

We also are eager to be there at tea time!

GC
spaige, HIDDY and toothy like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Spire
Despite all my flying on BA I actually had never been in the Concorde Lounge (T5) until today (and I flew Concorde plenty of times to visit the old F lounge in T4 and the Concorde Lounge in JFK).

All I can say is the experience was underwhelming. I was guested in by my other half flying F to SFO. First impressions - that the lounge is quite small, seating not that much different from the F lounge next door, menu pretty bleak. I turned up at 1130 and they still had the breakfast menu - no full English - closest being a bacon sandwich!. Champagne was average and not cold enough for my liking. The lunch menu came out at 12 noon - also unimpressive. I had the club sandwich which was served in a wooden tray sort of thing which reminded me of "food in a basket" from a good few years back from a mainstream pub chain. Two quarters of bread and a load of pretty yucky crisps!

I much prefer the self serve of the F lounge, go and get what you want, cheese, hot food, snacks, cakes etc. Much more convenient.

If I fly F in the future I think I will stay in the F lounge and would only go to the Concorde room if I wanted a little more peace and quiet
Old Oct 10, 19, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground View Post
Despite all my flying on BA I actually had never been in the Concorde Lounge (T5) until today (and I flew Concorde plenty of times to visit the old F lounge in T4 and the Concorde Lounge in JFK).

All I can say is the experience was underwhelming. I was guested in by my other half flying F to SFO. First impressions - that the lounge is quite small, seating not that much different from the F lounge next door, menu pretty bleak. I turned up at 1130 and they still had the breakfast menu - no full English - closest being a bacon sandwich!. Champagne was average and not cold enough for my liking. The lunch menu came out at 12 noon - also unimpressive. I had the club sandwich which was served in a wooden tray sort of thing which reminded me of "food in a basket" from a good few years back from a mainstream pub chain. Two quarters of bread and a load of pretty yucky crisps!

I much prefer the self serve of the F lounge, go and get what you want, cheese, hot food, snacks, cakes etc. Much more convenient.

If I fly F in the future I think I will stay in the F lounge and would only go to the Concorde room if I wanted a little more peace and quiet

Hi,

Did you have lunch in the dining room or in the general sitting area? as the menus are different IIRC. I had lunch 2 weeks ago in the dining room and it was good ( also stayed fro the afternoon tea presentation in the balcony area from 3pm)

Sometimes though I do like grabbing a quick drink or bite ot eat rather than going to the bar or waiting for service.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 10, 19, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Did you only look at the small A5 size menus? There is definitely a full English breakfast available on the large A4 menus.

Also for after midday there is a A4 size dining menu - I can recommend the lamb shank!

full menus can be found in the CCR thread Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2019
Old Oct 10, 19, 2:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... turned up at 1130 and they still had the breakfast menu - no full English - closest being a bacon sandwich!. Champagne was average and not cold enough for my liking. The lunch menu came out at 12 noon - also unimpressive...
Are you saying there was no full English listed on the menu, just the bacon sandwich? It sounds like you only had the Lounge Menu.
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:09 pm

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo View Post
Next time if you decide to upgrade, try and get a slightly later flight, but arrive at the same time as you did. You can the get breakfast, lunch and enjoy the afternoon tea! Plus the cheese at the bar. The afternoon tea is a great improvement.

Sounds like you had a great experience.

Plus the aadvantage as well!!
Even the best lounge is still a waiting room: Wouldn’t it be better to be doing something meaningful with life rather than waiting?
BA F cabins do have food in them too!
rossmacd likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by DFB_london View Post
Even the best lounge is still a waiting room: Wouldn’t it be better to be doing something meaningful with life rather than waiting?
It is meaningful to me. I can't get enough of airports and aircraft to be honest. Lounges are part of that experience and not just a waiting room.

Anyway, maybe , moral_low_ground, the full breakfast menus were taken away too early. I've seen them taken away a bit early before.

I always look at the ccr menu thing on FT, that others here kindly update and that is always appreciated.
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by DFB_london View Post
I can be in two minds here. Lots of flights I plan on dropping my bag at T-1.01, getting straight through fast track, quick bite and drink in lounge and at the gate T-25 mins. But even though it was my plan it can feel so rushed and not the perfect start to a long flight/relaxing holiday.

But when there’s somewhere nice to sit and pass the time it can be relaxing just taking it easy arriving 3-4 hours before strolling through security in a few shops then chilling in the lounge before boarding early for a welcome drink and knowing I wasn’t hurried at all that day.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: