Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Security Scanners At T5

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
do you mean a STEB or an ordinary plastic bag?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
A STEB (sorry, didn't know they had a name). Looks like I can buy a box of 200 from Amazon for £179.

buy from Amazon. fill a champagne bottle with dodgy liquid, rock up at T5A and go to security, merging into the same queue that comes from fasttrack immigration escalator.

No?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
These bags are only at duty free shops airside behind the till counter or onboard planes for duty free purchase. Also they are supposed to include the receipt which shows the purchase was made within the last 24 hours.

where are you seeing them available to take at will?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:58 am

I recall it being one of the Scandinavian airports but I don't recall which one. But they seem to be freely available:

Amazon Amazon

My bag did contain the receipt but it was poorly printed and barely legible.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've finally heard back from Heathrow about these new CT scanners and camera / video (wet) film. It took quite a lot of prodding, they are usually quite good at answering specific questions but this one caught them on the hop a bit. At least that's my interpretation.
How are you still using film for stills?

Can really only see this as an issue for runners with rushes dashing back from location...
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Banana4321
A small proportion of the photos I upload to FT are taken on Agfa's Vista Plus film.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Film is fun! Film cameras are relatively cheap... and shooting medium format I can print out gigantic 150x100cm posters with my vacation snaps on them
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I use a 1980 Nikon EM film camera for some of my photos these days. With new lenses on it is rather fun!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just following on from a somewhat random post elsewhere by HighwayToHEL that EDI is also now trialling the new CT scanner. It's only on one of the two fast track lines and you are most likely to encounter it in the mornings.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:11 am

Yeah sorry, was typing on my phone from the restaurant in Bangalore

The layout has all changed and it's a brand new room that has the "jet shaped" security scanner. I was there for the 07:45 QR to DOH on Monday morning, which is when the normal secondary (fast track) security zone is open. I'm not sure if this was in lieu of that zone.

I was quite pleased to try it, but there does seem to be a bit of improvement needed, I think the staff were still finding their feet as there seemed to be a lot of bags going for validation. Hopefully it'll be proven to be a success as it does have a lot of potential.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
The layout has all changed and it's a brand new room that has the "jet shaped" security scanner. I was there for the 07:45 QR to DOH on Monday morning, which is when the normal secondary (fast track) security zone is open. I'm not sure if this was in lieu of that zone.

I was quite pleased to try it, but there does seem to be a bit of improvement needed, I think the staff were still finding their feet as there seemed to be a lot of bags going for validation. Hopefully it'll be proven to be a success as it does have a lot of potential.
That side room area is over a year old now, it's not brand new, but the CT scanner arrived a few weeks ago. This is in fact the crew scanning area but also used by fast track passengers too at peak times. They sometimes run both fast tracks, in which case it's only those that use the external fast track stair case by the tram stop or MS carpark bridge that get to use it. The room is also opened on (e.g.) Fridays on school holiday peaks.

It's quite normal that it's a bit slower to begin with, the staff are still getting used to it. It was similar for the AMS rollout too. As noted upthread, the CT scanner doesn't necessarily save time on the scan process, every item of interest still needs to be identified, it is just that by the time you factor in tray sorting, liquid errors and "trying it on", the CT scanner is supposed to be quicker overall. It's certainly more convenient, but it's interesting they haven't put into the First Wing yet, most people there are competent and so it wouldn't add much there.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Sort of related....does anybody here happen to know the max width of items that will fit through the scanners at T5 / T3?

Have some artwork I need to bring back to the US and checking in is not an option for various reasons. Did the same maybe seven or eight years ago from T1 and it fitted fine, but obviously things change.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by leaveamessage
Sort of related....does anybody here happen to know the max width of items that will fit through the scanners at T5 / T3?

Have some artwork I need to bring back to the US and checking in is not an option for various reasons. Did the same maybe seven or eight years ago from T1 and it fitted fine, but obviously things change.
Assuming they are the same ones as have been trialled in some US airports, they appear the same size, but longer than the regular old ones.
Edit Just realised you are talking about the existing ones. Ignore that then

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Jan 24, 2020 at 9:19 am
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:01 pm

I just used the new scanner at EDI again, and yes, it’s the same room as the old FT but it’s all been rejigged with new walls and a totally different layout, and that’s what threw me last week.

Apparently they have had two software updates since last week.

Much better today. In my single tray (the trays are a good size, especially compared with places like IAD) I had a laptop bag on one side (laptop inside) and on the other side a coat with a small rucksack on top; rucksack has toiletries - small tube toothpaste and a spray deodorant. My phone was also in the
tray.

The tray went straight down the normal belt and wasn’t singled out for inspection - although I was given a pat-down. There were also less people waiting around, although being a Tuesday not a Monday that will have made quite an impact.

But overall it worked very well.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I asked last week when passing through the First security about when they plan to roll this out and he said that it'll most probably not be this year as they are not satisfied with it....which I was surprised as some airports in Europe have adopted this especially AMS. He said that UK is different and they take security very seriously which I was left with my mouth open...
not sure to take his info with a pinch of salt or....but indeed I do find lots of things in the UK are different compared to Continent Europe...some good some tedious... Especially on these procedural items....

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.