Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more “happy” buttons at First Wing security?

Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

Decent experience at F wing security today (4/5) so went to hit the “happy” button afterwards - but no sign off the “how was your experience” stand. Permanent enhancement or hidden to avoid poor ratings?

(off topic - managed to board with group 5 as I wanted to scoff a second bacon roll in Flounge, very civilised experience as seemed to be only 10 or so people in that group)
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Not at Heathrow, but this week at another airport I watched the staff hitting the happy button on those machines at that airport, so I may not bother with thise machines again

Last edited by scottishpoet; Oct 5, 2019 at 1:52 am
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The TV documentary on LBA showed the cheerful Duty Airport Manager happily distorting the stats ... on camera (clown!). I seriously doubt they have any utility.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:27 am

I was at a pitch event for startups a few weeks ago, and one of the companies was presenting an IOT device with a semi-smart back end (basic AI) that would be encroaching also on this feedback sector. I was shocked at how much it costs to rent one of these dumb terminals...it's about 160euros a month.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:32 am

After hitting the unhappy button a few times in a row, a staff member told me that the machine cancels out sequences of presses. I assume if you wait, say 10 seconds, you can enter another press.
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
I noticed none worked as I passed through departures and arrivals T5 last weekend.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I ignore those machines, I always think the buttons look filthy and think they must harbour all manner of bugs. I didn't think they were connected to any recording system and what can they do to improve the experience you've just had? It's purely random whether you get through security easily or are held up because it's busy. If you have a bad experience it doesn't mean everyone did.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Probably taken away as too many people were hitting the sad face when the F wing security is routinely backed up to the entrance desks.
lorcancoyle and ENTP like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by AJA_
I ignore those machines, I always think the buttons look filthy and think they must harbour all manner of bugs. I didn't think they were connected to any recording system and what can they do to improve the experience you've just had? It's purely random whether you get through security easily or are held up because it's busy. If you have a bad experience it doesn't mean everyone did.
They wont be any worse than door handles, security trays, lift buttons, tensa barriers I wouldn't have thought, and I doubt anyone had succumbed.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There was a HAL project manager who used to post in this forum, and he clearly used the feedback here to help improve the current (and I think pretty good) security set-up at Heathrow, given the constraints imposed by the Department for Transport (DfT). The multi entrypoint tray system is a huge improvement on what used to be there before. The one thing that he indicated from his posts - and there is some interpretation I have to imply here - is that these feedback terminals could be used to measure relative improvements and compared them across each other. So perhaps they can compare running two channels in The First Wing and then compare that with having more staff at the walk through scanners instead.

The devices are wireless, or rather upload the data via the mobile phone network on a daily (or whatever) basis.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Those little faces always strike me as probably the most pointless fixture in the airport
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I obviously don't know what is going on with these machines at LHR overall, but they sure are pretty popular with airports and elsewhere around the world. LAX even uses them to check satisfaction with their bathrooms..

From https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/lax-...isfaction.html

"HappyOrNot says it now has 30,000 terminals in 130 countries, with over one billion button pushes to date."

"At some terminals here, monitors have been placed at bathroom exits where passengers can press a happy face or unhappy face to register their feelings about the bathroom. Press the red “unhappy face,” and you’re presented with a list — does the bathroom need more toilet paper? Paper towels? LAX is using this real time feedback to stay on top of keeping bathrooms clean (and they say the happy face monitors are also regularly cleaned)."

Last edited by teemuflyer; Oct 5, 2019 at 5:22 am
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
They have several of these at a client of mine, together with a weekly loaded question, out in the open on the floor so everyone could see who the trouble makers are. Pointless.

Furthermore they had an “anonymous” suggestions box placed right outside the HR office with two CCTV cameras pointing to it. Knowing the officious and toxic nature of that particular HR dept, I doubt there were many takers.
T8191 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 6:42 am

Cant believe so much discussion previously complaining about them, now as much about them disappearing!
Old Oct 5, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
They have replaced the regular terminal with an unhappy face dressed in a high vis jacket. It's only available to use about twice a year though.
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.