Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1M avios. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Personally I would do a few weekend trips to Doha from/to FRA in QR F - great availability with lovely lounge in DOH. And quite cheap in miles
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Once when I was switching jobs and had some time to fly, I just asked SWMBO where we should travel with all my Avios. We ended up, rather inefficiently compared to many on here, "doing" the USA in F.
Looking back, I gues we were "throwing" money away, but it did not feel like it at the time.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
The miles are the goal!
Xonus and 747jetter like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:30 am

How do you search for reward partner availability? Does Qantas have the best search?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Daventry
How do you search for reward partner availability? Does Qantas have the best search?
Most airlines are shown when you search on BA.com.

For example, plug in SYD-PER and only QF flights will show, as obviously BA don't fly the route.

Do LHR-MLE and you might see BA options, but then "partner airlines" underneath might also show QR via DOH.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I would fly anywhere on earth in J or F with any One World partners and skip BA to avoid paying the massive YQ while flying BA @:-)
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just read this thread and now I am green with envy

As I don't fly with my work (and never have) not having time to spend the Avios I have earned has never occurred to me. If you like flying and travel it must be so frustrating to accrue up Avios like that and not have the time to spend them. I may not fly much but I do seem to drink a lot of Costa coffee and I accrue points on their loyalty card at quite a rate. I always spend them as soon as I have enough to get a free coffee on the basis that they could withdraw them or change their value at any time... the coffee equivalent of Avios inflation. So I would be looking to spend them as soon as I could
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
finagle an all-F around the world trip for my parents! i've done it three times w avios, but it would be so great to treat them too. i mean on my amex, i give them all the points so fund their international travel as it is, but would be great fun to do this with them!
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Most people choose not to hold six figure balances because of the very real risk of devaluation - about which you can do nothing.
Personally, if I was going to stick my neck out and guess what 'most people' think is too many Avios to hold, I'd have hedged at seven figure balances.

100,000 Avios is not really even a strategic reserve.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ffeniaza
Even among forum users, I would not be so sure.
Of what?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Personally, if I was going to stick my neck out and guess what 'most people' think is too many Avios to hold, I'd have hedged at seven figure balances.

I tend to hold from 120,000 to 240,000, something like that. Non UK or US based, not able to get myself an AMEX these days, so not chance of 241s. Right now I've got a grand total of 19000 after burning a load on two UuAs, but with all travel and purchases factored in, shouldn't be too long until I'm back up at 150k.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I would fly anywhere on earth in J or F with any One World partners and skip BA to avoid paying the massive YQ while flying BA @:-)
Flying on a oneworld partner will not necessarily avoid being hit with a massive YQ. It depends very much on the particular partner and, in some cases, the particular route. For example, compare carrier charges on AA trans-Atlantic with carrier charges on AA between North America and South America.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Yup - that's what I meant!
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I had just under the million when I finished work in Feb
First class 241 to china return done in April
First Class 241 to the states in the next few weeks
Multi airline reward to Oz & NZ next Feb, Managed to Bag first on Qatar from Perth to Doha
Little over 200,000 left to go
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by musical
So I just hit a million Avios. Perhaps that’s like being a millionaire with Monopoly money. But even so, I would love to hear what ideas you guys would suggest to spend them wisely on an amazing trip with my gf.
Perhaps this number is very common on here but it feels fairly substantial to me.
Ideally somewhere hot in December but I am super flexible and in no rush.
Thanks in advance.
I’d probably come onto an Internet forum with a snapshot and show as many people as possible.
moondog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.