1M avios. What would you do?

Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by TedToToe
With that many Avios, Id be heading to the Caribbean in F. Obviously, not all of BAs destinations there have F. I havent been to St. Lucia (UVF) - I think that would be my first choice.
That's what I did last year with an Amex 2-4-1, still got 1.2 million left & 2 Amex 2-4-1s!
TedToToe likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by worldtrav
I thought my former boss had a good strategy, during his working life he saved his frequent flyer/hotel points for retirement and then armed with many millions of points spent them on trips with his wife for a number of years.......
Despite a few redemptions typically in business for SWMBO and I to use 2-4-1's and the like, this is basically my strategy.

Currently sitting on just under 1 million Avios, with trips next year to the US (in F) and Malaysia (business) booked and 3 2-4-1 / GUF2 vouchers needing using over the next couple of years to spin out the value of the Avios.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We've done all we wanted to do travel wise including the RTW thing. So if I had a million miles that had to be used I'd redeem them on flights for others to come and visit us......they'd have to pay the taxes/charges right enough.
That way we wouldn't have the hassle of arranging for someone to look after our ten dogs,one cat and the tortoise.
adrianlondon, :D! and cgtechuk like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:04 am

I currently have 1.8M and two 241 vouchers. The trouble is finding the time and availability to use them.

We did do LHR-JNB last year in F on A380, utilising both a 241 and GUF2 voucher, so was pleased at maxing out the benefits!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by teledude
Round the world multi partner redemption for two in first class
Good luck finding availability ;-)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Good luck finding availability ;-)
It isn't too bad actually depending on what routings you do. I did one in May which including a full lap of the world, and have been looking at doing another potentially next Easter - I have got all the availability lined up just trying to persuade myself to go ahead now
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by KARFA
It isn't too bad actually depending on what routings you do. I did one in May which including a full lap of the world, and have been looking at doing another potentially next Easter - I have got all the availability lined up just trying to persuade myself to go ahead now
My partner booked our last trip of that kind. Frankly I wouldn't have the patience for lining up all the availability to make the initial trip work, and then fine tuning over a period of months as availability for better routings opens up.

The whole thing looked more work than it is worth - and that was with access to the GGL line and free changes. As a standard gold I wouldn't go near these awards.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by musical
So I just hit a million Avios. Perhaps thats like being a millionaire with Monopoly money. But even so, I would love to hear what ideas you guys would suggest to spend them wisely on an amazing trip with my gf.
Perhaps this number is very common on here but it feels fairly substantial to me.
Ideally somewhere hot in December but I am super flexible and in no rush.
You may think you are not in a rush, but in fact I'd say you might be far too late in looking for a decent use of those miles in December. Many on here book a full 335 days out for desirable destinations.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
See how long it takes to get reach 2M points?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
I spent a million this year - London to Japan, London to Chicago, London to Sydney (via SIN) all in F for two passengers - along with some GUF and 2-4-1 benefits. Now have basically none left. :-}

Focus on where you want to go and why. Then see what's actually available in First first, Club if not. Setup some alerts on BA Redemption Finder and bite the moment they come to be - because when you go is critical for many destinations too.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I am actually more curious musical as to how long it took you to accrue the 1M miles? I have been up in the high hundreds of thousands on a couple of occasions but never to the 1M+ mark. I fly just enough to maintain Gold every year and my Avios philosophy tends to be earn them and burn them. I am currently sitting on about 39k Avios which is a pitiful amount by anyone's reckoning!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by teledude
Round the world multi partner redemption for two in first class
Roughly (very roughly) ... how many avios might be needed for one person. Assuming say LHR - Asia - USA - LHR
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Blue
Why not use them for cash-expensive routings to otherwise-inconvenient destinations?

For example, now that we know LA is leaving OneWorld, you could redeem BA/IB/LA to Chile, then do a trip on LATAM's Easter Island (LATAM are the only airline that serve the island!) and Tahiti service, and then connect to Australia on Qantas.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Roughly (very roughly) ... how many avios might be needed for one person. Assuming say LHR - Asia - USA - LHR
It depends on the stoppage, but in and around 90-120k per sector, over three sectors. So 270-360k per passenger.
It's actually the taxes and fees to be more concerned about, as that'll be something like 2100 in total on those sectors, assuming high cabins, depending on where to/from and how it's booked (any one-way out of the USA is a no no).
LHR-SIN-SYD in F, return, for example, was 1645.84 for two when I booked (I think this might be even slightly more now).
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:07 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Singapore (because it's Singapore) and Malaysia (for a beach holiday).
That's what I would do.

Can't see if you can book Raffles with Avios as the website is just an endlessly spinning wheel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.