BA32 from Hong Kong - early check in

Old Oct 2, 19, 3:41 am
Original Poster

BA32 from Hong Kong - early check in

So we changed my plans and are now arriving in HK on Virgin Australia VA83, arriving at 1740 this Saturday, and leave on the BA32 at 2310.

I know there are some great oneworld lounges, but how early can we re check in ?

Thinking it could be just 3 hours before, and if so what to do landside !

Information and thoughts appreciated.
Old Oct 2, 19, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Any time on the day of travel - so long as you go into town and do it at Hong Kong or Kowloon Airport Express stations.

If you really want to lounge-hop, then it may be worth the price of the train ticket into town and back to do that.
Old Oct 2, 19, 4:05 am

But if you go into town, then why not enjoy a couple of hours there and a great meal? Much as I love the HKG lounges, they are just lounges. I'd head into town for sure.
Globaliser, moondog and DeathSlam like this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
But if you go into town, then why not enjoy a couple of hours there and a great meal? Much as I love the HKG lounges, they are just lounges. I'd head into town for sure.
Agreed. Iíve done this a few times, buy a same-day return to Kowloon, check my bag there, then wander out for amazing dim sum (thereís a place in the housing estate just across the main road from the shopping centre linked to Kowloon station). Then a quick wander and then back to the station and away to the airport. The lounges are great, but the food is totally worth the trip into town... and the fact itís attached to one of the worldís best cities is just a bonus.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I think that making such plans to the city is risky given the very tense situation in Hong Kong. Especially on a Saturday evening.
It is getting frequent that transport is suspended because of the protests. You could find yourself with the Airport Express station closed and stressful return to the airport.
Old Oct 2, 19, 6:55 am

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Iím transiting HKG in a few weeks myself, while I originally thought Iíd use the layover to head into the city (bags checked through by JAL) Iím much more tempted by lounges now given risk of disruption...

Airport Express has been shut down a few times to control protestors or because of damage to lines. A few hours and a ferry trip would be nice but might not be worth the stress
Old Oct 4, 19, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BrianJC View Post
So we changed my plans and are now arriving in HK on Virgin Australia VA83, arriving at 1740 this Saturday, and leave on the BA32 at 2310.

I know there are some great oneworld lounges, but how early can we re check in ?

Thinking it could be just 3 hours before, and if so what to do landside !

Information and thoughts appreciated.
Hong Kong is in turmoil tonight and big protests are expected on Saturday.. Would be a bad idea to go to the city this Saturday.
Old Oct 4, 19, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Hong Kong is in turmoil tonight and big protests are expected on Saturday.. Would be a bad idea to go to the city this Saturday.
I can whole heartily recommend Cathay Pacific "The Pier", its the furthest away but a lot better than the Qantas lounge that you are directed to from BA.
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I've just seen this on the SCMP website:-
12:39AM

Special arrangements for Airport Express

MTR Corporation announces there will be special arrangements for Airport Express services on Saturday.

From 1pm on Saturday until the end of the day, airport-bound Airport Express trains will only run from Hong Kong station to the airport, while the city-bound Airport Express service from the airport will only stop at Hong Kong station.

Trains will run at 10-minute intervals.

As the Asia-World Expo will be used as a venue for student examinations, from 1.45pm to 3.30pm, trains will be arranged to run from Asia-World Expo station to urban areas.
The in-town check-in service at Kowloon station will be suspended for the whole day. Passengers can use the service at Hong Kong station.
The time stamp must be Hong Kong time, ie the update was posted at 1639Z on Friday 4 October 2019.

For clarity, it appears that the Airport Express will not be running before 1 pm.
Old Oct 4, 19, 7:52 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
On the off chance you have no baggage to pick up and re-check, and have already checked in online and have your BP, you can go airside or transfer anytime on the day.

When I have a long time at HKG I find it reasonably easy to do a lounge hop: if I need a snooze, Pier F is the place to go, and although they are supposedly limited to 90 minutes, I've spent several hours in one at the weekend. be sure to ask for an extra blanket (AC can be fierce) and take your noise cancelling headphones (noise from airside vehicles).

The best place for cocktails IMHO if you have access is the main Centurion Lounge (the inner sanctum, although terribly exclusive, is sterile and little more than a soulless waiting room with waiting service).
Old Oct 4, 19, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I've just seen this on the SCMP website:-The time stamp must be Hong Kong time, ie the update was posted at 1639Z on Friday 4 October 2019.

For clarity, it appears that the Airport Express will not be running before 1 pm.
Looking at the news is closed all day along with the rest of the transport network.
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Asia Miles, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
Yes all rail lines closed Saturday October 5 2019

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie View Post
Looking at the news is closed all day along with the rest of the transport network.
Left luggage facility on the ground floor if with baggage you can't check through.

Taxi or local bus to one of the seaside towns on Lantau. Or even a trip to Macau via the bridge - def no protests in Macau they are pro China. B4 bus downsatirs or local taxi to HZMB Port (5/10 minutes). You can be over and in Macau within about an hour. Macau taxis take HK$.
Old Oct 5, 19, 2:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Normally the BA check-in desks at HKG open around 1930.

If there were no protests, no transport disruptions, the OP was entitled to use the immigration e-channels, and they had no lounge access, then sure, a 1740 arrival might see you get to the city before 1900, and you could start returning to the airport as late as 2100 giving 2 hours to have a quick look around.

However, there are protests, transport disruptions are likely, the OP probably has to queue up in the tourist immigration queue (twice) though granted this would be shorter than typically, and they want to explore the OW lounges. Therefore I would suggest they amble slowly through immigration and baggage reclaim, get a drink or a snack, wander around the terminal then head over to the BA check-in at 1930. If permitted (not sure about what police cordons there might be) go to Terminal 2 food court although you probably don't want to eat too much if going to several lounges later.

I do not think it is a wise idea to go to Macau!! You'd have to turn around as soon as you arrive.
Old Oct 5, 19, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asia Miles, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Normally the BA check-in desks at HKG open around 1930.

I do not think it is a wise idea to go to Macau!! You'd have to turn around as soon as you arrive.

Oops misread arrival time as 12.40! Macau is a non runner unless you want to experience the bridge.

Airport express is starting to run again as reported at about 16.00 HKT.

Passing through the airport last night it was very fluid and well guarded! But given the fluidity of things I would stay inside the airport in the current state of affairs in HK.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: