Search

A transit question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:40 am
zaf
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
A transit question

Hi guys, I couldn't find an answer to my question after a search, what happens if after landing and going into the departure side of the terminal I wanted to leave and pass through immigration to go visit a friend?
The reason I ask is that I am laying over in LHR T5 for 14h. I usually do well with long layovers (bring work with me), but there is a possibility that a friend would contact me to meet for lunch. Unfortunately I won't know until 2 or so hours after my arrival in LHR which means I will be in the terminal already after going through flight connection route.

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It is possible but requires some administrative hassle

Perhaps better to clear immigration, go landside to the arrivals lounge (assuming eligible) and then once done with your friend (or confirmed they're not coming) go through normal departures
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Getting the transit to C and staying on will bring you back to landside without much time or effort. However, you will no longer be "ready to fly" so I'd suggest whizzing up to departures and getting that ironed out before leaving the airport - it's not much of a faff to be fair
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Getting the transit to C and staying on will bring you back to landside without much time or effort. However, you will no longer be "ready to fly" so I'd suggest whizzing up to departures and getting that ironed out before leaving the airport - it's not much of a faff to be fair
It's not something I would recommend unless there is really no alternative. Among other problems you may lose your seat reservation, and if RTF is having a bad day it can get problematic.

For the OP, I would go landside anyway, particularly if they are from an e-gate country, since it may well be the fastest / easiest way back to airside. If they don't show up then you can work more pleasantly in Regus or the Sofitel or Carluccios.
Soupdragon62 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.