The randomness of BA pricing.....

Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
The randomness of BA pricing.....

Now thanks to a lot of the contributions on the site I have come to expect the unexpected & picked up on a few tricks to get lower flight prices. This weeks experience has even confused me as to the logic & how the pricing works even though it stems from what I've learnt here.

Was thinking of a trip to New England in a few weeks time, so thought maybe could find a good price on a couple of CW seats to Boston. Nothing decent to be had. Selected flights even added a car & nope no different. Left it a week & thought I'd look again this time went through the first page of BA selecting the flight & car option rather than flight then adding car after. Suddenly...………. what happened there? This can't be correct. Go back recheck I've not missed anything silly... nope all seems correct. Go back out...check flights alone.... yep similar pricing to what I'd seen before. Add the car at that point nope still same higher pricing.

How can it be that selecting 2 CW seats with a car, offers you 2 1st seats with a car, for 2500 less than 2 CW seats booked on their own or around 3000 less than 2 CW seats with the car added after flight selection.

Needless to say we are off in a few weeks to New England in 1st with a car for 10 days.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Dates ? I have just looked and it is about £10k in first and 6k in business for 2 leaving in 2 weeks. shame I fancied the trip !
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Dates ? I have just looked and it is about £10k in first and 6k in business for 2 leaving in 2 weeks. shame I fancied the trip !
Heading out on 23rd BA215 back on 31st BA238 with a group F car, paid 3970.

Whats interesting is I've just gone & played around with the dates & can't get anything close to it now. Last night there were a number of date combinations that were giving the same result around that time.

Last edited by DorsetKnob; Oct 2, 2019 at 12:03 am
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA
Just a single data point, but I’ve found myself checking prices on a near daily basis to monitor for fluctuations I can’t explain.

I needed to buy a CW return LGW-MCO for summer holiday. Prices sat at roughly £3k for my fixed dates. Almost relented and paid, but on one day it dropped to £1.8k and I jumped. Prices back up the next day.

I know revenue management is a complex beast I’ll never get my head around.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by malkie
Just a single data point, but I’ve found myself checking prices on a near daily basis to monitor for fluctuations I can’t explain.

I needed to buy a CW return LGW-MCO for summer holiday. Prices sat at roughly £3k for my fixed dates. Almost relented and paid, but on one day it dropped to £1.8k and I jumped. Prices back up the next day.

I know revenue management is a complex beast I’ll never get my head around.
Same here, and it is quite perplexing. After playing with multiple dates and departure cities, I booked wife, baby, and myself CW from LAX-LHR-JNB 9th-23rd October for a total of $8,300. Next day I checked to see how much it would cost to upgrade to F. Was rather pleased and surprised to have upgraded all 3 of us for $3000! Total of $11,300 for 2 adults and a lap child in F on the A380 to me is a good deal. Really looking forward to the experience. $11K +/- was what I was finding for the RT CW from DFW, so making the quick flight to LAX for the connection is worth it. (Not to worry, this is the baby's 3rd TATP flight at 16 months old. He's a trooper. (makes it easier not having to fly in Y)) :-)
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
buying a flight plus car or hotel is a different product to buying a flight on its own and has its own pricing rules and makes different fare buckets available.

It is just one of the mysteries of the world and best not to ask why.

same as every other time this question gets asked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.