Pricing error on UUA bookings ?

Old Sep 29, 19, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Pricing error on UUA bookings ?

Hi guys, I am not sure if something is wrong with the UUA but I have checked on a few dates and the prices for UUA is essential the same as a direct cash booking (both of the same classes.

I have attached a screenshot - any ideas what is wrong ?

Picture on the left is UUA (premium to club outbound and return in WTP), Right side is cash booking (out in club and return in WTP)

Old Sep 29, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
IIRC when booking an UUA flight on BA.com sometimes the booking class for the ticket being upgraded defaults to a flexible/semi-flexible ticket so can come out at a fairly expensive price. I've done some dummy bookings recently for UUA ET to CE for a trip I'm making early next year and the price was significantly more than just booking CE as a cash booking.

Those with more expertise will be along to point you in the right direction, but (again IIRC!) it's cheaper to book the cheapest WTP ticket on BA.com and then phone to process the upgrade, availability permitting of course. I'm certain I've read on here before that all WTP ticket classes can be UUA to CW. I had to do this last year for a CW booking, BOS > LHR. There was availability in F but when going through the UUA process on BA.com the price was eye watering.

Last edited by GlasgowBlue; Sep 29, 19 at 9:41 am
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
This is probably the oft-discussed glitch relating to DIFs (Dual Inventory Fares). Try phoning instead of booking online. Will probably much cheaper.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue View Post
IIRC when booking an UUA flight on BA.com sometimes the booking class for the ticket being upgraded defaults to a flexible/semi-flexible ticket so can come out at a fairly expensive price. I've done some dummy bookings recently for UUA ET to CE for a trip I'm making early next year and the price was significantly more than just booking CE as a cash booking.

Those with more expertise will be along to point you in the right direction, but (again IIRC!) it's cheaper to book the cheapest WTP ticket on BA.com and then phone to process the upgrade. I'm certain I've read on here before that all WTP ticket classes can be UUA to CW. I had to do this last year for a CW booking, BOS > LHR. There was availability in F but when going through the UUA process on BA.com the price was eye watering.
Thanks for the reply - makes sense! I am actually in 2 minds at the moment on what to book. It is either going to be with BA/ CX. With BA, if I can get one leg out UUA and the othe return in J, I'd probably go for it. If not, probably book CX. Just got back from HKG with emirates and not impressed - out in F and return in J! Rather go with BA (despite the service not being great)! Not sure what the fuss is about with EK

I'm going to phone them up and check on the pricing. Thanks
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue View Post
IIRC when booking an UUA flight on BA.com sometimes the booking class for the ticket being upgraded defaults to a flexible/semi-flexible ticket so can come out at a fairly expensive price.
No, this one is a DIF problem, as 5 minutes on the usual tools confirms.

It's the same two solutions as always:-
  1. Book the cash ticket online, phone up immediately to UuA. Cancel the cash ticket under the cooling-off provision if the UuA fails.
  2. Phone up to book the entire thing in one transaction. Agents know about the DIF problem and you won't be charged the offline fee.
Anonba likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: