Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T3-T5 90 minutes between flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
T3-T5 90 minutes between flights

I fly BA out of MIA to LHR and I am almost always literally running to T5 to catch a connection. 90 minutes is the minimum time and I do this quite often. I run about 1/2 mile to the shuttle connection then sometimes wait for the next bus (why don't they run them more often?) so that could be 15-30 minutes. I do not understand why OW is not waiting with an express connection pass for us. Then as an Emerald I am in the priority lanes but that can be more backed up than the regular lanes, so often I will duct under the rope and switch. Then if for some reason they divert my bag that they want to check, that can take another 20 minutes. The running to elevator, waiting for train and rushing to gate I can usually make it with about 10 minutes till the door closes.

Is there any way as an Emerald that I can hope a BA car ride? Is there a way to exit the bus at the (I believe it is) B Gates at T-5? The security lines are usually shorter. I've thought about a cart in T-3, but they wait until it is full...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Jon
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:51 am

Why not book a longer connection time, if you do not like tight connections?

I do T5-T3 regularly (other way to you), and I always pick the tightest possible connection, and I have never had to run and never missed a flight. There is always another flight should I miss it.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My T3 arrival and onwards to T5 is usually about 45-50 mins. And can’t remember the last time I ran!

I also often exit T3 for a crafty smoke and jump on the tube / Heathrow express to T5 and up to the Wing. Again, all fairly quick and not so painful
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
if they are diverting your bag for secondary screening then I'd be looking to see if anything in it is making it hard for the screening staff to pass it on the forst look such as If your phone and adaptor wires are a tangle for example ..

And if you are making it to the gate with 10 mins for doors close then that indicates you are there 30 mins before departure (as doors close 20 mins before) and that you got from T3 to T5 in 60 mins.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
jump on the tube / Heathrow express to T5 and up to the Wing. Again, all fairly quick and not so painful
Don't you have to go through Passport control and customs before you can hop on the tube? As a US citizen, that may not be so quick at 6:45 AM...?? Thanks... Jon
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
if they are diverting your bag for secondary screening then I'd be looking to see if anything in it is making it hard for the screening staff to pass it on the forst look such as If your phone and adaptor wires are a tangle for example ..
Totally agree UK... I've learned to take everything out of the bag including my adapters and everything else.

-Jon
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've also had plenty of 90 minute connections this year from T3 to T5, plus a few car transfers, I haven't come close to missing a flight yet and usually get my coffee in CCR en route. The car transfer doesn't actually save much time, thanks to the one-way system, maybe 5 minutes or so.

If you consider 10 minutes to get from T3 arrival gate to Flight Connections (it can be a lot less), 10 minute wait for a bus (that would be a bad day), 12 minute bus journey, then the 90 minute allowance is about the same as an intra-T5 connection. If you do arrive with an hour to spare, just use the First Wing. I would go that route for 50 minute transfers too, but you do need to clear conformance for 35 minutes. I stopped running in airports a good decade ago, it's just not worth it, there is always another service and unless you're getting married or some such, most stuff can wait. If it was down to me, MCT would be reduced to 75 minutes, but BA will have made a careful calculation for the 90 minute MCT.

So I'd forget the Express Connections idea, just go with The First Wing, which is - as far as my experiences go - about the fastest way into any big airport anywhere on the planet.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MarJon
Don't you have to go through Passport control and customs before you can hop on the tube? As a US citizen, that may not be so quick at 6:45 AM...?? Thanks... Jon
I think US citizens can now use the E-Gates, so it shouldn't take long to get landside.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I think US citizens can now use the E-Gates, so it shouldn't take long to get landside.
Correct, and it only makes sense for smokers. It is quite a fair bit slower going landside otherwise, particularly if using the tube, since that's considerably further from T3 arrivals compared to Flight Connections T3.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarJon
I fly BA out of MIA to LHR and I am almost always literally running to T5 to catch a connection. 90 minutes is the minimum time and I do this quite often. I run about 1/2 mile to the shuttle connection then sometimes wait for the next bus (why don't they run them more often?) so that could be 15-30 minutes. I do not understand why OW is not waiting with an express connection pass for us. Then as an Emerald I am in the priority lanes but that can be more backed up than the regular lanes, so often I will duct under the rope and switch. Then if for some reason they divert my bag that they want to check, that can take another 20 minutes. The running to elevator, waiting for train and rushing to gate I can usually make it with about 10 minutes till the door closes.

Is there any way as an Emerald that I can hope a BA car ride? Is there a way to exit the bus at the (I believe it is) B Gates at T-5? The security lines are usually shorter. I've thought about a cart in T-3, but they wait until it is full...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Jon
You seem to have a bad luck with T3-T5 connections, if this if truly your experience.

Most of my T3-T5 90 minute connection involve 30 minutes in the lounge...

Express Connection passes are for delayed flights - not for on time connections that meet MCT.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118
You seem to have a bad luck with T3-T5 connections, if this if truly your experience.
Most of my T3-T5 90 minute connection involve 30 minutes in the lounge...
Express Connection passes are for delayed flights - not for on time connections that meet MCT.
And since MIA-LHR is on a 747 and I'm in WTP cabin port side, I am off before FC and still have to run... How do you manage 30 minutes in the Lounge??? What is your route? Didn't know about the Express Connection passes...
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
MCT is not for all. If you prefer more leisurely connections, that is what you ought to book.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Often1
MCT is not for all. If you prefer more leisurely connections, that is what you ought to book.
I am not OP and I try to book longer connections, but as Devil's advocate I will say it isn't always realistic for folks. Employers might complain about higher prices, or the next flight might be hours away (i.e. MCT or 3+ hours).
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
It typically takes me 45 minutes to get from the aircraft to T5. I find I am only running if the inbound is late. There are usually a few anxious minutes waiting for the next bus.

I doubt you will see an 'express' unless your connection has gone below MCT. That said, while I have seen the given out as I have got off late AA flights, i have never been given an express ticket despite some arrivals that have gone below the 90 minutes.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
For these particular flights my other option is a later flight with a 4+ hour layover arriving at destination 10PM or an even later one arriving around 4AM.... Use to fly RSW-PHL-LHR, then at least the connection was T5B-T5B which is super easy... only problem is, is that MIA is hundreds of dollars cheaper......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.