Search

Returning to work. And flying.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Returning to work. And flying.

Hello

Its been a few years since I've been here - moving, marriage and motherhood (first two well planned, the third with not quite so much accuracy) saw me take a career break. But our daughter will be 3 years old at the end of the year and I've just returned to work - so the travelling begins again!

I have no idea how much has changed with either BA or the Exec Club and I'll make time to read the dashboards above before posting questions.

But I just wanted to say "Hi" (if there is a thread for this kind of post, would someone please move my post there? - thank you so much)
crazyarmadillo and Lefly like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Hi, welcome back! It's mostly gone downhill.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Always nice to see someone returning here, instead of abandoning us forever! Welcome back, Fly Baby ^
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
There are no more snacks in economy, seats are covered in vomit, people steal kids' cuddly toys, you have to pay to pick your seat in Club, nothing much
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Hi, welcome back! It's mostly gone downhill.
Pretty much everything you need right here :-)
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Fly Baby
But I just wanted to say "Hi" (if there is a thread for this kind of post, would someone please move my post there? - thank you so much)
I think this is as good a reason as any to create a thread, and welcome back from me too. After these big life events maybe your requirements and hopes about travelling have changed, and the industry has changed somewhat too. So it could be a good time to reassess what you want to do here, rather than just taking up your former pattern of travel. One suggestion that comes to mind: on your next BA flight ask for a children's log book, so that when your child starts flying you have it ready for use.
so3003 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome ! If you want to get a fast track to Silver there’s a few £1200 fares around to LAX (from CDG) that will get you 600 TPs required then you can have some comfort & benefits if you are going to be flying a fair bit, and not always in the better cabins
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think this is as good a reason as any to create a thread, and welcome back from me too. After these big life events maybe your requirements and hopes about travelling have changed, and the industry has changed somewhat too. So it could be a good time to reassess what you want to do here, rather than just taking up your former pattern of travel. One suggestion that comes to mind: on your next BA flight ask for a children's log book, so that when your child starts flying you have it ready for use.
Perhaps the thread should be titled "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"...

(waits for pedants to offer alternative translations of this overused quote...)

Seriously though, welcome (back) OP!
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Start by reading your employer's travel policy very carefully. You might want to ask whether your corporate travel office is able to get you comped status until you earn it or a status challenge to make your initial business trips easier.

Now could be a good time to evaluate whether you want to focus on BA or some other carrier/alliance such as KLM/SkyTeam depending on your anticipated travel patterns and corporate policy.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Fly Baby hi! I'm a mother of two (aged 5 and 8) and juggling working full time with travel, marriage and motherhood. I took a pause in travelling when my two were tiny, but now they are bigger I'm doing more travel than ever.

I'm not doing much travel on BA, more Lufthansa due to my travel patterns but I can share experiences of travelling as a mother who works full time, with a husband who also travels for his work and no local family to help out...
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Welcome back! If you anticipate flying with your child, I'd like to invite you to visit the flying with children forum. (Perhaps you've already been, but it took me a bit to find it after having kids. It's over in Travel & Dining, in the Special Interests section.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.