Community
Wiki Posts
Search

? price discrepancy from Glasgow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:29 am
Original Poster

? price discrepancy from Glasgow

I'm looking at booking Glasgow to Shanghai next year on Avios points (business class for 4 of us) & from Glasgow its 720,000 points & £2576 "taxes".

The same booking direct from LHR is £2248 "taxes".

So a £327.52 difference or £81.88 difference per person.

I'm sure my previous Avios bookings from Glasgow had exactly the same taxes/surcharges as if I was leaving directly from LHR.

Has something changed or am I missing something here??

Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Suggest you look at the detailed fare breakdowns to identify which elements stay the same (APD for example) and which change (most likely BA surcharges) and which may apply to ex GLA but not ex LHR such as GLA airport fees.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:45 am

This has always been the case. No extra Avios for the connection but BA pass on the additional taxes & airport passenger service fees in full.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bophopper
I'm looking at booking Glasgow to Shanghai next year on Avios points (business class for 4 of us) & from Glasgow its 720,000 points & £2576 "taxes".

The same booking direct from LHR is £2248 "taxes".

So a £327.52 difference or £81.88 difference per person.

I'm sure my previous Avios bookings from Glasgow had exactly the same taxes/surcharges as if I was leaving directly from LHR.

Has something changed or am I missing something here??

Thanks.
Try booking from INV, if you connect the same day you’ll save £140ish each air passenger duty.
zanderblue and marcolau317 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jamier45
Try booking from INV, if you connect the same day you’ll save £140ish each air passenger duty.
good advice 👍 but APD as ever is not the problem. BAs fees are the real issue and APD is a fraction of their fees
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mda03jb
This has always been the case. No extra Avios for the connection but BA pass on the additional taxes & airport passenger service fees in full.
What additional taxes?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jamier45
Thats vary out of date.

APD is now £172 for long haul in premium cabins!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:38 pm

The domestic connection whilst “free” in Avios is not priced as a Reward Flight Saver and therefore attracts substantially higher fees and charges. It can be cheaper to book a cash connecting fare, but you can’t have reward and cash flights on the same booking. You could book an RFS but again that can’t be joined to the long haul booking.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
Whilst on the subject , I have often been suprised by the differences on connecting fairs between GLA and EDI ,
Making use of the curent sale i booked two J reterns. Ex EDI to DEN , the price using the same TAL flights and using similar departure times from GLA was £500 a ticket higher I have noticed this sort of discrepancies before
usually EDI being the cheaper option : are such discrepencies due to comuter glitches or is there some underlying trason?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
BA have no competition between GLA - LHR whereas from EDI people have the choice of BA or Flybe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.