Status extension

Old Sep 26, 19, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Status extension

I've been gold for the last 5 years, however this year my flying with BA has dropped so I'd been due to drop to silver. My tier point collection period ended in August. I'm still showing as gold on the website as I would expect as membership year runs to end September.

I noticed on looking this morning that my Gold status is shown running until Sept 2020. I checked my items & these show my Gold renewal pack status as being fulfilled & despatched.

Have the BA gods taken pity on me for flying so much on AirAstana or is this a just a computer glitch & I will be silver again come 1st October?
Old Sep 26, 19, 2:45 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
I wonder if the intern is running a script to add one year to card expiry dates .... No extension here (maybe the script has not got to my membership &#128532

Were you caught out by the strikes ?
Old Sep 26, 19, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deboyzoned View Post
I wonder if the intern is running a script to add one year to card expiry dates .... No extension here (maybe the script has not got to my membership &#128532

Were you caught out by the strikes ?
Other than receiving an email to say my flight the day before a strike had been cancelled when it hadn't ….. no.
Old Sep 26, 19, 5:27 am

How close were you? I know a couple of people who renewed silver in past 6 months when 40-60 points short. No request or explanation & no recent service failures. I think BA are manually reviewing some accounts with a decent track record that fall short for maintaining status. Makes sense to me, either you’re still flying lots but using competition so hopefully can be tempted back or you’ve cut back on flying & the extension won’t really cost them much. I wouldn’t expect another stay of execution next year though!
Keystone likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob View Post
I noticed on looking this morning that my Gold status is shown running until Sept 2020. I checked my items & these show my Gold renewal pack status as being fulfilled & despatched.
In your shoes, I would be expecting to have another (and unexpected) year at Gold.
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mda03jb View Post
How close were you? I know a couple of people who renewed silver in past 6 months when 40-60 points short. No request or explanation & no recent service failures. I think BA are manually reviewing some accounts with a decent track record that fall short for maintaining status. Makes sense to me, either you’re still flying lots but using competition so hopefully can be tempted back or you’ve cut back on flying & the extension won’t really cost them much. I wouldn’t expect another stay of execution next year though!
I wasn't even close. Most of the tier points came from Qatar
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
I think that BA does need to be spreading some love but is maybe not choosing to publicise that they're looking after some customers who wouldn't otherwise have kept their status. I guess you only find out at the end of the membership year - so most people who can will continue to make the effort to renew and will never find out whether they would have been renewed anyway!

I've been caught out by the data breach (twice) and was impacted by the strikes but have never been brave enough not to re-qualify to find out whether I would have been extended anyway!
Old Sep 26, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Grrr, I was Gold for many years but was 60 points short this year. I was caught in the data breach (fraudulent transactions hit my card). I asked if my Gold status could be retained and the response was a very emphatic "No".
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 28, 19, 7:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I"m currently sitting at 1490 Tier points, TP year resets November 8. Flying the cheapest AA flight I could find as a back-to-back so I can retain gold.
Old Sep 29, 19, 12:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
A friend of mine had his silver card extended - at 140 tier points.

I guess BA want to keep the number of card holders somewhat stable (after all the check in areas and lounges are sized for a certain number of people). Plus it generates a lot of good will (said friend has since booked a few extra BA flights).
Old Sep 29, 19, 1:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Was there anyway special about your renewal for Gold at this time last year? Did you perhaps just miss qualifying for Gold and ask them to credit some Tier Points into the previous year?
Old Sep 29, 19, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloudGazer View Post
Was there anyway special about your renewal for Gold at this time last year? Did you perhaps just miss qualifying for Gold and ask them to credit some Tier Points into the previous year?
No last years renewal was straightforward. The only thing different this year has been my low paid use of BA, just 4 cheap Y's to AMS, 1 CE sector to Frankfurt & a CE return to nice, so about 200 tier points on BA, but 560 with Qatar on codeshares
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Well we are now in October & still showing gold so looks like I've lucked out this year!
Old Oct 1, 19, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob View Post
Well we are now in October & still showing gold so looks like I've lucked out this year!
I don't often say this, but: I told you so.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by buzzrm View Post
Grrr, I was Gold for many years but was 60 points short this year. I was caught in the data breach (fraudulent transactions hit my card). I asked if my Gold status could be retained and the response was a very emphatic "No".
I was 40 points short as I had a flight cancelled in the strike - they agreed to renew my gold. I did have a flight coming up within the 2 week window after year end that would have seen me through, but they renewed before that and those points are sitting in my total for this year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: