Slackness at DXB

Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
The stickers must be relatively new as they werenít actively doing it when I was there last week and when I asked about registering the agent said only at arrivals.
If you are manually processed on arrival into the UAE - and a photo is taken - then you will be registered. The photo is actually a biometrics capture, and so long as you depart more than 48 hours after arrival then you're good to go for the UAE's e-gates in both DXB and AUH both ways from that point onwards. From what I make out, if in doubt you can still use the e-gates, if you fail the check they'll just register you on the spot.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
The stickers must be relatively new as they werenít actively doing it when I was there last week and when I asked about registering the agent said only at arrivals.
You get the sticker at arrivals when you register for SmartGates. You can't register for SmartGates at departures AFAIK.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You get the sticker at arrivals when you register for SmartGates. You can't register for SmartGates at departures AFAIK.
At DXB, there is an office on the right hand side at the bottom of the escalator when one walks from the train to the immigration hall where one registers and obtains the sticker. (They also will clear your entry for that visit so you do not need to exit and re-queue for immigration.) If they are now registering people automatically at the regular immigration desks thatís new within the last six months.

In Abu Dhabi, on the other hand, they will register you on arrival at the regular immigration desk. In my case, I was registered and given a sticker without even asking.

Note that AUH registration does not work at DXB and vice versa. They are separate systems.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
At DXB, there is an office on the right hand side at the bottom of the escalator when one walks from the train to the immigration hall where one registers and obtains the sticker. (They also will clear your entry for that visit so you do not need to exit and re-queue for immigration.) If they are now registering people automatically at the regular immigration desks thatís new within the last six months.
Are you referring only to T1 here? In T3 you've been able to register for smart gates for at least a couple of years when going through immigration.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:51 am

In the theme of general security slackness, a few years ago (say 2011-2015) I used to travel to RUH quite a bit and a number of times found the security shockingly lax. I must admit I think there is something of a local mindset issue.

Twice I took hand luggage through the scanning belts with nobody attending the display, simply picking my bag up at the other end and walking off. The second time I was with two colleagues, who were suitably gob-smacked.

The occasion that took the biscuit, though, was the previous time. I had been given a large jar of Yemeni honey as a gift (local delicacy). The strange thing about this honey was that there was about 1.5 litres of it in a very large, unlabelled and unsealed jar. I mean, there was no indication at all of what this was, just a viscous dark yellow substance in an unmarked jar. It looked a bit like some kind of grease, or petroleum jelly. Knowing that I only had hand luggage and this would not be possible for me to transport, I tried to refuse the gift before realising this was a serious social faux pas. No matter, I thought, I will just let it be confiscated at the airport, as I accepted the gift gratefully.

But no. Through the completely unattended hand luggage scanning belt. Check. Wait around for the horrible post-midnight BA departure... check. Aha! Extra hand screening on the jetway, this is where my honey will be offloaded. Nope. Small rucksack on the little table ... the security agent roots through it a little, without removing anything to visually inspect it, gives me a warm smile and off I go. He must, I mean, must, have felt that there was a large vessel of some kind in there.

Anyway, the honey was very nice I must say.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Note that AUH registration does not work at DXB and vice versa. They are separate systems.
Can we check that? I was registered n AUH and then arrived + departed DXB via the gates. I can't think of any opportunity DXB would have had to register me.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you referring only to T1 here? In T3 you've been able to register for smart gates for at least a couple of years when going through immigration.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Can we check that? I was registered n AUH and then arrived + departed DXB via the gates. I can't think of any opportunity DXB would have had to register me.
So my report above is based on my personal experience, but maybe itís wrong to generalize. I was registered, without asking, when I first arrived in the UAE at AUH. I subsequently could not get the egates at DXB to work (although they work just fine at AUH) using my passport or my subsequently issued Emirates ID. After inquiring on several occasions, I finally was directed to this office at the bottom of the escalator at DXB where my passport was registered (and a separate sticker placed on my passport).

So perhaps itís supposed to be more seamless, but it wasnít in my case.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by Grace B
I just walked into the BA lounge and there was absolutely no one there. Poured myself a glass of wine, enjoyed it and walked out. Didn't see a soul.

Prior to that, went though security no problems. Then realised I had a bottle of water in my carry on. One wonders...
I am sorry to hear that you encountered slackness on your recent trip. I hope there were no security impacts and wish you well with your onward travel.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
I am sorry to hear that you encountered slackness on your recent trip. I hope there were no security impacts and wish you well with your onward travel.
Nice of you to say so.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...and Mucci.
If they are now registering people automatically at the regular immigration desks that’s new within the last six months.
I registered for smart gates at regular DXB T1 immigration desks last November. Can’t say whether it would have been automatic, since I did ask for it.

On the more general “slackness” point at security, I go through DXB T1 several times a year, and whenever I’ve asked (a few times), I’ve always been told to take out liquids and laptop/tablet. I’ve never seen the BA lounge reception unattended beyond a few moments when the agent had to go inside the lounge briefly. My sample size is still not huge, so in both cases mileage, as always, may vary.

Not the most enticing of lounges anyway, I try not to spend more than 30 mins there, handy enough for a quick drink.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:19 am

There's a similar thread on the EK forum at the moment... The last post (currently) may give the answer to this.

Difference between Smart Gates and eGates?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:12 am

There's a similar thread on the EK forum at the moment... The last post (currently) may give the answer to this.

Difference between Smart Gates and eGates?
Thanks, that report suggested that Emirati ID registration works everywhere, but passports work only in the AUH+SHJ or DXB, but not both. In my case, I used my UK passport, I don't have Emirati ID, and have used AUH and DXB e-gates. I guess we best wait for more reports. Maybe "they" know who I am.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that report suggested that Emirati ID registration works everywhere, but passports work only in the AUH+SHJ or DXB, but not both. In my case, I used my UK passport, I don't have Emirati ID, and have used AUH and DXB e-gates. I guess we best wait for more reports. Maybe "they" know who I am.
In my case, I was not able to get my Emirates ID to work. The system would accurately read the card (I know this because it would display my name) but the gates would not let me through. As noted upthread, after several attempts I was directed to an office where they registered my passport.

I suspect this is some sort of glitch, as all Emirates IDs are supposed to work without registration. (One immigration officer speculated that perhaps my thumb print saved in the system ó which is one of the biometrics used ó is corrupted.)
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I was registered at AUH and it didn't work at DXB (this was a couple of years ago). I struggled to get registered at DXB ("Next time, next time") until I booked a Marhaba service for a T1 arrival at 10pm (so likely an hour queue without Marhaba) and that little serpatate Marhaba immigration counter registered it - it's been fine ever since. I always wondered if the reluctance to register this passport was because I already had my other passport enrolled in the e-gates.

It might be a much easier process these days.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by djbenedict
In the theme of general security slackness, a few years ago (say 2011-2015) I used to travel to RUH quite a bit and a number of times found the security shockingly lax. I must admit I think there is something of a local mindset issue.

Twice I took hand luggage through the scanning belts with nobody attending the display, simply picking my bag up at the other end and walking off. The second time I was with two colleagues, who were suitably gob-smacked.

The occasion that took the biscuit, though, was the previous time. I had been given a large jar of Yemeni honey as a gift (local delicacy). The strange thing about this honey was that there was about 1.5 litres of it in a very large, unlabelled and unsealed jar. I mean, there was no indication at all of what this was, just a viscous dark yellow substance in an unmarked jar. It looked a bit like some kind of grease, or petroleum jelly. Knowing that I only had hand luggage and this would not be possible for me to transport, I tried to refuse the gift before realising this was a serious social faux pas. No matter, I thought, I will just let it be confiscated at the airport, as I accepted the gift gratefully.

But no. Through the completely unattended hand luggage scanning belt. Check. Wait around for the horrible post-midnight BA departure... check. Aha! Extra hand screening on the jetway, this is where my honey will be offloaded. Nope. Small rucksack on the little table ... the security agent roots through it a little, without removing anything to visually inspect it, gives me a warm smile and off I go. He must, I mean, must, have felt that there was a large vessel of some kind in there.

Anyway, the honey was very nice I must say.
I went through T3 security at DXB in September and there was nobody manning the x-ray when my bag passed through.

Then when my colleague was about to go through the WTMD after me, (her bag was going through a separate x-ray lane but the two x-ray lanes shared the same WTMD) the controller just walked off. My colleague walked through and did not alarm it but there were no security staff in proximity to check.

The Supervisor was oblivious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.