Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slackness at DXB

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Grace B
I just walked into the BA lounge and there was absolutely no one there. Poured myself a glass of wine, enjoyed it and walked out. Didn't see a soul.

Prior to that, went though security no problems. Then realised I had a bottle of water in my carry on. One wonders...
The machines at DXB are some of the newest in the world, which is why you arent usually asked to take out liquids or electronics (including a laptop).

My understanding is that the machines can tell what the liquid is, or at least what it isnt.

M
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I blame Alice for all this slackness
Alice? Alice? Who the .... Is Alice?
DYKWIA and NoY like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Try taking more than 1/2 an ounce of Gold out of DXB and they'll soon jump on you. Nothing to do with security but they'll want to see the receipt with your name and passport number otherwise you can leave it behind! Perhaps not surprising given the amount of money that passes through DXB or some of the reasons for taking it out in the first place.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by flatlander
The check for liquids to Australia is because the Australian government decided they didn't want any liquids into the cabin on flights to Oz - pointless security theatre.

Meanwhile, airports with sufficiently advanced scanners (or, possibly sufficiently slack security theatre) permit any (harmless) liquids through security and on board. Unless, I suppose, you're going to Australia.

In any case, if you manage to get something through security against the rules it's not a problem unless you can do it (reasonably) predictably. For a security risk you need to have a malefactor able to bring a malicious object through a checkpoint. So if the checkpoint is 99.999% reliable and there are 0.0001% malefactors among passengers, you've got to coincide the malefactor with the checkpoint failure and that's a 0.0000001% chance.
It’s especially stupid when you consider that there are no restrictions on taking liquids on domestic flights

i did notice CT hand baggage scanners at JNB but they don’t seem to be in use
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The machines at DXB are some of the newest in the world, which is why you arent usually asked to take out liquids or electronics (including a laptop).

My understanding is that the machines can tell what the liquid is, or at least what it isnt.

M
Amsterdam is the same. No need to remove liquids (or anything else). But I'm not sure if the 100ml rule still applies.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I just walked into the BA lounge and there was absolutely no one there. Poured myself a glass of wine, enjoyed it and walked out. Didn't see a soul.

Prior to that, went though security no problems. Then realised I had a bottle of water in my carry on. One wonders...
I have departed Dubai once and transited it once and wasn’t required to remove liquids or laptops and think I even had a can of deodorant there as well.

it’s interesting as I’ve had the same hand luggage on a multi flight itinerary and something will get picked out on one of the last flights that’s been through countless other airport security channels. Ie also had bottles of water gone unnoticed at JFK and MIA connections. The only place where I spend an extra 5 mins or so checking is beloved Manchester T3 security as I don’t want to lose an hour of my life for having my lip balm in my jacket pocket and not in the plastic bag.

interestingly at The First Wing security in August a lady had her clear sports water bottle about half full in her tray and the guy simply took it out out in in a box scanner thing and gave it back to her. I take mine out of my bag and ale sure it’s empty.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I used to work for same company as one of the biggest providers of airport security scanners, although I was in a completely different division. They were communicating about 2 years ago about their new technology would completely eliminate the requirement to remove liquids and electronics from bags and therefore speeding up the security process greatly. I can confirm that DXB uses that brand of security scanners, so I imagine they are this new type. The whole liquids over 100ml, I have quite often accidentally had a bottle of water over 100ml (with water in it) in my bag at DXB and it has never been taken off of me, which I don't think is right!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: BA GGL & GFL, EK Platinum
Not slack

DXB isn’t slack, just very high tech. They detect everything but the machines can distinguish like a previous post said.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
Interesting to read the comments about confiscated pocket knives. I've been doing weekly european shorthauls various destinations this last year. All the while carrying my smallest keychain Victorinox knife + scissors combo, the one with the tweezers and toothpick. No trouble at all. But I suspect the moment I go longhaul i may well lose at security at the outstation on the return.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Amsterdam is the same. No need to remove liquids (or anything else). But I'm not sure if the 100ml rule still applies.
As far as BA is concerned, I think this is true - but I don't think they've replaced all the scanners on the Schengen-side security yet as when I went through a few weeks back it was the old machines with associated rigmarole. Also not thought to test the 100ml rules though, so can't help there.

Schiphol was always bizarrely inconsistent before that - I've seen neighbouring scanners, one being operated "everything in" and one being operated "everything (including cables!) out". Guess which one I went for...
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Amsterdam is the same. No need to remove liquids (or anything else).
Indeed, and when I went through OSL last week I had the temerity to ask whether or not my Kindle needed to come out, and the agent barked at me, "YES! SAME AS EVERY AIRPORT IN THE WORLD!" Er, no love, it isn't.
DYKWIA, msm2000uk and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:47 am

I've had Zippo confiscated at SXF while plastic lighters went through without issues; lost block of parmesan in MXP because apparently it's a liquid; pax being shouted at in STN to take liquids out of plastic bags and lay loose on the tray; put a bag of paper tissues in the tray because nothing can be in the packets when going through scanner in LHR... Nothing consistent.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by flyslow
... lost block of parmesan in MXP because apparently it's a liquid ....
Ouch. Hard cheeses are allowed; it's irritating when they randomly confiscate stuff. They should be forced to give you a receipt stating exactly what was confiscated and when it's found out to be allowed, that the receipt then covers you another holiday to re-buy the item
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
the 100ml rue is still in place at AMS even with the new CT scanners.

WhenI went through a couple of weeks ago the guy in front had his bag sent for secondary and when the bag was opened the security agent removed the over the limit bottle of water and tossed it in the bin
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Meanwhile, at T5 North last week, a tube of toothpaste, about 3/4 already squeezed out, but 125ml capacity - taken to one side to be told they were conficating it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.