Best First Service to NYC and back.

Old Sep 23, 19, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Cineworld Unlimited
Best First Service to NYC and back.

Flying late November in F to NY and back. What would be the best services to take, taking everything into account? Not too fussed about what airports or timings just the product on board and lounges. Would also consider BA2 on the return but the price difference from J to F was only a couple 100£. What are your thoughts?

Sorry if I have missed a thread this was meant to be in.

Thanks,

TMH
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:14 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Originally Posted by TMHimself View Post
Flying late November in F to NY and back. What would be the best services to take, taking everything into account? Not too fussed about what airports or timings just the product on board and lounges. Would also consider BA2 on the return but the price difference from J to F was only a couple 100£. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

TMH

I canít remember the time of our flight but it was around breakfast time and although we enjoyed it you only get breakfast followed by afternoon tea so if the meal service is important to you choose a later flight.

That said we were in NYC by the afternoon and got the extra half day.
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
In terms of airframe it's hard to beat F to EWR in the 787-9.
Geordie405 and PETER01 like this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
In terms of airframe it's hard to beat F to EWR in the 787-9.
This is what I thought, great thanks.

Not sure about what to do on the way back though.
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:24 pm

This is what I thought, great thanks.

Not sure about what to do on the way back though.
Daytime flight back?
PETER01 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Daytime flight back?
either or, daytime or overnight is fine for me. pretty flexible.
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:37 pm

either or, daytime or overnight is fine for me. pretty flexible.
My recommendation would be the daytime flight back. If done right it can be a relatively painless way of adjusting timezones plus you're able to extract the most out of your F experience. Alternatively I try to take one of the later overnight flights and sleep as quickly as possible and for the duration of the flight.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MMRRT Gold

Thanks,

TMH
If you travel later in the day (from JFK, I'm assuming) around 17/18:00 the Concorde room is virtually empty, but the terminal can be very crowded, and being that it's a shlep to the Concorde room, it may not be ideal. For me it would be, though.

I would also recommend taking a flight with a 74 over a 77 as it feels more exclusive and I have noticed the service to be more attentive. Whether this is a coincidence or not, I have yet to decide

That's just my humble advice based off my preferences!
81romeo likes this.

Last edited by GlobalMatt; Sep 23, 19 at 5:55 pm
Old Sep 23, 19, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Arrival into EWR should be OK but for departure I'd do JFK because there are so many more BA/AA options in IROPs unless you want to be in New Jersey. EWR is basically owned by UA and there aren't a lot of flights on other carriers, plus it's generally a horrible airport in which to spend time.

Depending on how you plan to get to the airport, consider rush hour times when evaluating schedule convenience.
Cymro and Gig103 like this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:52 pm

Daytime flight back for sure. Much better for jetlag and the overnight flights are too short to enjoy any kind of F experience and get decent sleep. (Scratch that - too short to get decent sleep period)
Old Sep 23, 19, 11:31 pm

My recommendation would be the daytime flight back. If done right it can be a relatively painless way of adjusting timezones plus you're able to extract the most out of your F experience. Alternatively I try to take one of the later overnight flights and sleep as quickly as possible and for the duration of the flight.
The only issue with the later flights is, personally, I find they are harder to deal with jet lag. The earlier services (18:00-19:30 approx) are easier for me. That being said, at these times you'll be caught up in the daily mess that JFK becomes. The later flights (e.g. 23:00) have much quicker taxi times.

Originally Posted by meunger11 View Post
it's a shlep to the Concorde room, it may not be ideal.

It is all of 175m walk from the top of the TSA escalator to the entrance of the CCR. Turn left at the top of the escalator, through the duty free shop, passed the restaurants, turn left then the CCR entrance is at the end of the gate area. Hardly a schlep!

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Daytime flight back for sure. Much better for jetlag and the overnight flights are too short to enjoy any kind of F experience and get decent sleep. (Scratch that - too short to get decent sleep period)
I disagree - I find the East Coast day flights an utter waste of a day - but yes they can help with jetlag.

I also do not agree that they overnights are too short to get a decent sleep - the flights are on average about 6hrs 30mins flying time (of course, some can be exceptionally shorter based on winds). Accounting for the 20mins to landing call that you must be in upright position, you can easily get 6hrs sleep if you prepare correctly. If I get 6hrs sleep on the ground, I am happy so there is no discernible difference for me.
Old Sep 24, 19, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
And it's another one from me for the day time flight back, but by November you'll have some of the 777 flights operating with Club Suits, and a smaller F cabin (which the rumours say will be similar to F on the Dreamliner) so I would try and aim for that on the outbound.
Cymro likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Note that the food service on the day flight eastbound is IMO totally naff, after they cost-cut the superior brunch/lunch options a couple of years ago.
tynmar likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 3:05 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
For my money I'd rather take a JFK flight at around 1900 - 2200, having had a couple of hours and a nice meal in the CCR. I've done the early morning flight and found the breakfast and second meal options very under whelming. After an early morning arrival a shower and breakfast in the arrivals lounge sorts you right out, then I try to push through until about 2100 before going to bed.
cargueiro likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 3:17 am

Programs: "Only" 60,000 TPs until GGLfL
Flightmemeory tells me I've flown JFK-LHR a cheery 61 times. sigh.

To maximise the experience in JBA F, I would choose:

LHR-EWR in F on the 787-900 - only 8 seats in the cabin and it's BA's best seat in the fleet. Careful as depending on your dates the 789 may or may not be on the route.
JFK-LHR on the AA operated AA100 (BA1511)- arrive nice and early at JFK for the AA First Dining Room. It's more exclusive than the BA JFK CCR and has a much better food and wine offering - £120/bt Krug NV champagne, £40/50 bottles of red and white (vs £30/bt Laurent Perrier NV and £8 red and white in the JFK CCR). have a leisurely dinner, cocktails, get on the plane and go straight to sleep. Land LHR at 6.20am before Terminal 3 gets too busy and you can be in Central london at 8am with a good night's sleep under your belt and the full day ahead of you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: