Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best First Service to NYC and back.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:51 am
Suspended

The first refurbed 777 to JFK is starting soon and I imagine that may become a contender for best F option.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Land LHR at 6.20am before Terminal 3 gets too busy and you can be in Central london at 8am with a good night's sleep under your belt and the full day ahead of you.
Or use the AA T3 arrivals lounge for proper breakfast and showers.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Depending on times and what else you have to do before you fly the later/evening flights LHR- JFK can be great... you just arrive and go to bed... gets you on NYC time very quickly.
Uses a day less too as not sitting on a plane all day.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
For the return the LCY might be the better option - you're sharing the flight with people who do this frequently. It's usually lights out and sleep. None of the light and noise disturbance from people who "want to enjoy the experience".

On the other hand, if you do want to enjoy the experience, then the day flight in F is probably the way to go.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by rossmacd
The only issue with the later flights is, personally, I find they are harder to deal with jet lag. The earlier services (18:00-19:30 approx) are easier for me.
I disagree with this but that might be because I'm based in the US and simply not sufficiently tired to sleep on the earlier evening flights which causes me problems the following day. If I take an evening flight I prefer something around 9pm at the earliest. I'll get up really early that day and put it a full day's work and then head to sleep as soon as possible. If I can squirrel away a blanket and pillow pre-departure I can be in sleep mode within 5 minutes of wheels-up.
Tobias-UK and SoggyDollar like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Depending on times and what else you have to do before you fly the later/evening flights LHR- JFK can be great... you just arrive and go to bed... gets you on NYC time very quickly.
Uses a day less too as not sitting on a plane all day.
Totally agree with this - the evening departures Westbound (6-9 pm) from LHR to East Coast work really well for me: it makes for a long day but means you arrive at your hotel in NYC ready to go straight to bed and adjust more quickly to local time (in my experience). The trick is really not to sleep much - if at all - on the flight over, which means more time to enjoy the First service / IFE (which also means no need to get to LHR too early for the CCR).

I'm a fan of those flights for the start of a work trip.

For the return, I like an 8-9 pm departure. Late enough you could sleep; eat a proper meal in the CCR at JFK and then get head down right away after departure.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by ratypus
Totally agree with this - the evening departures Westbound (6-9 pm) from LHR to East Coast work really well for me: it makes for a long day but means you arrive at your hotel in NYC ready to go straight to bed and adjust more quickly to local time (in my experience). The trick is really not to sleep much - if at all - on the flight over, which means more time to enjoy the First service / IFE (which also means no need to get to LHR too early for the CCR).

I'm a fan of those flights for the start of a work trip.

For the return, I like an 8-9 pm departure. Late enough you could sleep; eat a proper meal in the CCR at JFK and then get head down right away after departure.

Actually did this a few years ago for a long weekend... out Thursday evening back Monday night 4 full days in NYC

5pm ish flight from GVA connect to 8pm ish flight from LHR arrived 10:45 pm local time. 5 mins off the plane through immigration and customs taxi to the hotel

bed by midnight local time.

Only dozed a couple of hours on flight over as mentioned aperitif, dinner, after-dinner drinks, movie snooze, pre-landing snack etc...
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by PGFlyer85
The first refurbed 777 to JFK is starting soon and I imagine that may become a contender for best F option.
Why? F isn't being refurb'd - it'll still be the old Prime1 seats, not the newer Prime2 seats on the 789. Only difference will be fewer seats.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My preferred? I'd go on BA1 from LCY as not having to go through Immigration at JFK, and stepping off as though one had arrived on a domestic service is worth more than F to me. For the return, it is a no brainer - the Day Flight is practically always on time and gets a faster clearance in to Heathrow as there are few Transatlantic flights at that time. All this Elegant Dining leaves me cold - I'd rather have the inflight meal, watch a film, have a snooze, land, go home and go to bed. Jetlag zapped in its tracks.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
My preferred? I'd go on BA1 from LCY as not having to go through Immigration at JFK, and stepping off as though one had arrived on a domestic service is worth more than F to me. For the return, it is a no brainer - the Day Flight is practically always on time and gets a faster clearance in to Heathrow as there are few Transatlantic flights at that time. All this Elegant Dining leaves me cold - I'd rather have the inflight meal, watch a film, have a snooze, land, go home and go to bed. Jetlag zapped in its tracks.
I agree with the hairbrush-wielding siren of the skies! I don't do JFK very often, but when I do I find the day flight to LHR is the way to kill jetlag. I also seem to remember doing this from ORD too (probably AA) and it worked a treat from there as well!

Now, if whining and dining is your thing, I would take LHR to JFK to enjoy the CCR. BA1 may be preferable if (a) you are starting in the City or nearby, (b) you like pre-clearance and getting from gate to taxi in 10 minutes, (c) you are looking for a slightly different experience. BA1 is a different experience and one to be enjoyed at some point!

As has been said here, the 789 is probably the best F seat in BA right now, plus a very cosy/private cabin.

rb211.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by RB211
Now, if whining and dining is your thing
Is this for people who like to complain about their food?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Is this for people who like to complain about their food?
Exactly!

rb211.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Why? F isn't being refurb'd - it'll still be the old Prime1 seats, not the newer Prime2 seats on the 789. Only difference will be fewer seats.
I thought F on the 777 was going to be a slightly improved version of 787-9 F? Maybe with a door as well like the new club suite or am I completely wrong?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Hardly a schlep!
In my experience, there have been times the terminal is incredibly crowded which can make it a not-so-fun schlepp
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by golfmad
In terms of airframe it's hard to beat F to EWR in the 787-9.
Agree ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.