Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MAN Controlled Explosion- any impact on flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

I’m flying up on the last flight to MAN today, but noting on SM picture of people outside terminal and reports of a controlled explosion of an explosive device in the airport train station, appreciate this isn’t near T3 but does anyone any info as to any effects on flights?

Last edited by navylad; Sep 23, 2019 at 1:06 pm
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...estroy-package

Bomb disposal experts destroyed a suspect bag found at the scene, in a controlled explosion just after 9.30am. Police later confirmed that the bag had not contained a viable device, and said there was no evidence to suggest the incident was related to terrorism.

Ch Insp Andy Sutcliffe said: “I appreciate that reports of today’s incident may have caused some concern but I can confirm that the matter has now been safely resolved and the area is returning to normal.
navylad likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:36 pm

I thought this was going to be another Blaster Bates issue as in " a shower of .... over Cheshire"
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
No issues any more. However it caused all
sorts of issues this morning. Trains and public transport (incl taxis and Uber) were very disrupted and some flights delayed. One colleague from
Belfast had his flight cancelled.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:48 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There was also a bloke running around naked at the same time that didn't help.

*Not me, I might add....
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by rapidex
I thought this was going to be another Blaster Bates issue as in " a shower of .... over Cheshire"
He had..... gossamer wings....
rapidex likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

*Not me, I might add....
Probably because all his pants had been blown sky high.
Lehava and DYKWIA like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

*Not me, I might add....
Didn't help? He would have provided entertainment.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
This most awesome page might have been helpful earlier ^

https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.in...pec/index.html
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
I was on the train from Manchester Piccadilly to airport. After the first stop, the train operator announced that they "airport" was being evacuated, trains are not allowed into the airport, and just stopped on the tracks. About 5 minutes later, she announced that the train was going back to Piccadilly because the airport was being evacuated due to a suspicious package. I sent a Twitter direct message to American Airlines (whom I was flying) asking if the flight is delayed because of airport evacuation. About 5 minutes later, AA replied via twitter DM that there is no evacuation and the flight is on time. Another 5 minutes later, the train started rolling back to Piccacilly.

After I got off the train, I shared an Uber with a couple of passengers. The biggest delay I had was in waiting for the Uber to arrive. When we got to the airport, everything seemed normal and my flight was on time. I did some duty free shopping and got to the gate 35 minutes before departure. Because of all this confusion, I missed the opportunity to go to the lounge.

The train operator's announcement (twice - that the "airport was being evacuated", not just the train station at the airport) was misleading. I almost decided to take it slow about getting to the airport in case the whole place is being evacuated. Luckily, the DM with the airline Twitter team helped me to catch the flight. Not sure how many passengers missed the flight because of the incorrect announcement by the train operator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.