Southern California Options

Old Sep 22, 19, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Southern California Options

Mrs A and I have booked an outward leg next year in September to San Jose in F and intend working our way south over a couple of weeks to end up in the LA/San Diego area to fly home. We will have a car so as i see it the options seem to be flying from LAX, SAN, LAS or PHX. It will be on a 2-4-1 voucher and I would prefer to snag a flight home in F but looking at historical availability I realise that isn't so likely so will be happy with J especially since it will be an overnight flight.The time is approaching fast to book the return leg so i'm asking for any suggestions as to what the best airport to fly from in terms of comfort/lounge/best aircraft, assuming of course we end up having a choice. Also any opinions on which route would be most likely to open up availability in F at some later date to allow an upgrade.
Apologies if this should be in a different thread.

Thanks
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Originally Posted by Aledin View Post
Mrs A and I have booked an outward leg next year in September to San Jose in F and intend working our way south over a couple of weeks to end up in the LA/San Diego area to fly home. We will have a car so as i see it the options seem to be flying from LAX, SAN, LAS or PHX. It will be on a 2-4-1 voucher and I would prefer to snag a flight home in F but looking at historical availability I realise that isn't so likely so will be happy with J especially since it will be an overnight flight.The time is approaching fast to book the return leg so i'm asking for any suggestions as to what the best airport to fly from in terms of comfort/lounge/best aircraft, assuming of course we end up having a choice. Also any opinions on which route would be most likely to open up availability in F at some later date to allow an upgrade.

Thanks
LAX - hands down IMO (once you reach it of course!)
Old Sep 22, 19, 7:01 pm

I agree with the previous poster LAX is better, however If you are driving from SJC to LA to San Diego, to catch your flight from LAX you have to backtrack. If that is not a problem then LAX would be my choice
Aledin likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, AS MVP, HH Diamond
LAX will have the best lounge options, especially if you manage to be in F.

Unless you plan to actually visit the Las Vegas or Phoenix areas, I would rule those out as that would be a multi-hour drive from Southern California.
Aledin likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
i wouldn't rule out SAN, especially if LAX would mean backtracking.. It's a lot quieter and less congested than LAX. In terms of rental return there's not much to choose (at LAX the rental plots are closer to the terminal but the shuttle can take for ever due to ftraffic jams). LAX wins hand down on lounges (especially F, where the dining is exceptional) but SAN is located virtually downtown so it's feasible to relax over an early dinner somewhere nice then go on the airport in time to check in.
Aledin, SanDiego1K and Arsey00 like this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 3:59 am

If I were planning to visit the San Diego area I wouldn't choose to backtrack to LAX just to get a better airport experience. I've never flown to LHR from SAN but I have done various domestic flights and the airport experience was fine. As per previous poster, I'd rather have dinner in SAN than any airport lounge.
Aledin likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would fly back from whichever airport is closest and most convenient to your location when you are ready to return. Nicer lounges at LAX don't justify the hellish drive which can exist between SAN and LAX. On the other hand, if you are near LAX anyway, choose LAX.
Aledin and AleTrail like this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:19 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Starting in October, SAN will be serviced by a mid-J 747, so no chance of WiFi and there is also the chance of an unrefurbed airframe. LAX has the choice of an A380 or a very high chance of a Hi-J 747 which have all been refurbed. (I believe the 789 service has been replaced by a 747 these days). The SAN flight will also arrive at LHR T3 from October, so you might have to take that into account if you have a connection to make at LHR.

Despite living in San Diego, I actually prefer to go out of LAX as the early LAX-LHR departure gets me into LHR at a reasonable time in the morning, vs. a late afternoon arrival if on the SAN service.
Aledin and Arsey00 like this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 11:54 pm

I am sitting on BA268 (lax to lhr) having just driven from San Diego and it has worked out well. 2-3 hours drive depending on when you’re leaving and I enjoy the lounges at LAX. One World Business lounge was busy but a nice place to be; Qantas First, if eligible, served the best food I’ve ever had in a lounge.

Hired with Alamo and the drop off and shuttle service was absolutely superb. Happy bunny
Aledin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Aledin View Post

Thanks
Think I'd go LAX as well.

No lounge at LAS, not even AA last time I went through and the PHX lounge is fairly dismal. More options from LAX too, however maybe theres more chance of an reward seat at PHX.... Last time flew out of their they were flogging upgrades in the lounge.....
Aledin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I live half way between LAX and SAN, and avoid LAX if at all possible. The traffic can be unbearable. While the lounge at SAN (Airspace) is probably no match for what's available at LAX, it does have natural light, a pleasant staff, and complementary offerings off their menu for BA F (not sure about J).
Aledin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Balan's Frequent Eater, Trying to convince my local to offer a reward program
There's complimentary, mostly snacky, food for BA J at SAN. Better than what's offered to the non-BA crowd, but nothing to write home about. I've never flown F from there so I don't know how they compare.

I mostly fly out of LAX these days despite the traffic (since you're going to need hotels anyway, drive up the night before, loads of LAX hotels with shuttles) just because the options are better. SAN is peaceful, but there's only the one flight. I wouldn't drive to PHX or LAS unless you're incorporating those into your sightseeing. SNA is also fairly quiet, with some of the shortest security queues I've ever waited in, but would require a change somewhere like DFW.
Aledin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 9:58 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by Arsey00 View Post
There's complimentary, mostly snacky, food for BA J at SAN. Better than what's offered to the non-BA crowd, but nothing to write home about. I've never flown F from there so I don't know how they compare.

I mostly fly out of LAX these days despite the traffic (since you're going to need hotels anyway, drive up the night before, loads of LAX hotels with shuttles) just because the options are better. SAN is peaceful, but there's only the one flight. I wouldn't drive to PHX or LAS unless you're incorporating those into your sightseeing. SNA is also fairly quiet, with some of the shortest security queues I've ever waited in, but would require a change somewhere like DFW.
There is absolutely no difference in the snack offering at the SAN Airspace lounge whether flying J, or F on the BA service. The little stamp on the boarding pass unlocks the key to the “premium” beverages too (again no differentiation between J and F) They do not track consumption when on the BA service, unlike those on the JAL service.

I flew J from SAN to NRT last week and was given the JAL menu card. You can opt to have 2 premium drinks, or 2 snacks, or one drink and one snack and they stamp the boarding pass after each choice.
Arsey00 and Aledin like this.
Old Sep 27, 19, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Balan's Frequent Eater, Trying to convince my local to offer a reward program
That sounds very bog standard AAdmirals's Club.
Aledin likes this.
Old Sep 27, 19, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would fly back from whichever airport is closest and most convenient to your location when you are ready to return. Nicer lounges at LAX don't justify the hellish drive which can exist between SAN and LAX. On the other hand, if you are near LAX anyway, choose LAX.
This. I certainly wouldn't drive SAN-LAX unless I had to.

(and on NYE I will have to )
Aledin likes this.

Search this Thread