BA66 PHL to LHR today

Old Sep 22, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Question BA66 PHL to LHR today

Just received a text from BA that BA66 from PHL was delayed until 11pm today. Expertflyer says the flight is on time. Does anyone have the ability to check what is going on with the flight? Thank you.
Old Sep 22, 19, 11:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

FR24 also says delayed 23:00.
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
FR24 also says delayed 23:00.
Thank you very much for checking.
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Idle speculation time. Since the inbound was on time, and since yesterday's inbound is on time, my guess is an engineering fault / spare part issues, or perhaps a poorly crew member, being replaced by someone on another flight or hopping down from New York.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thank you CWS. That the inbound is on time puzzled me. I was hoping that BA.com was wrong. I just hope that a delay until 23:00 won’t turn into a cancellation. Since I am actually going back to Kiev I will just call BA now and see what they can do.
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
23:20 now.
Old Sep 22, 19, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Thank you Often1. I offloaded us from that flight - BA found an option to get us to Kiev without losing a day, and taking BA66 would have meant spending a day in London (which I’d have happily done had I been sure that the flight would go).
Old Sep 22, 19, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, DL Silver
There was a passenger on that flight entering the Admirals Club next to me. I heard from an attendant that the delay was mechanical. Hearsay of course, but could explain the 5hr delay with the plane sitting at PHL.
Old Sep 23, 19, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
And for anyone curious about how it turned out:-
Code:
DOBA66/22SEP
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            BA  66   -1 SU 22SEP19   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)  

PHL  ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE                2320            
     LEFT THE GATE                              2334            
     TOOK OFF                                   2351            
     DELAY ZO                                                   
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  1120     LHR    
Old Sep 23, 19, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
And for anyone curious about how it turned out:-
Code:
DOBA66/22SEP
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 66 -1 SU 22SEP19
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

PHL ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2320
LEFT THE GATE 2334
TOOK OFF 2351
DELAY ZO
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1120 LHR
I landed at KBP about the same time that BA66 made it to LHR.

A bit strange experience as the first agent we spoke to said that he could not do anything apart from changing the flights per the fare rules because BA66 was not canceled. About 20 minutes later we received new tickets for the next day, but we did not want to stay in Philly and on the next call the agent was open to any ideas that we had to get us back home without spending the night either in the States or in London. I once again realized how much it matters to know what you want before calling the airline. However, we had little to choose from as the flights from the East Coast were rammed. I even entertained downgrading to WTP from First (CW or J on AA were fully booked) just to get away but my husband said '**** that.'

Thank you DYKWIA for checking that the flight was indeed delayed - that prompted me to start looking for alternatives.

I guess it would not have been a bad thing to spend a day in London, especially since BA would have covered the hotel (not sure about that though since I do not know the reason for the delay) or maybe BA would have put us on Lufthansa from LHR but I am glad to be home.
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
BA would have covered the hotel (not sure about that though since I do not know the reason for the delay)
BA would have covered the overnight hotel as it's part of their duty of care obligations, irrespective of the cause. (Or put you on another airline if they preferred, of course).

I'd be interested to know what route you took - did you drop everything and do a voluntary reroute via BOS/JFK or was there some other secret wormhole?
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
I landed at KBP about the same time that BA66 made it to LHR.

A bit strange experience as the first agent we spoke to said that he could not do anything apart from changing the flights per the fare rules because BA66 was not canceled. About 20 minutes later we received new tickets for the next day, but we did not want to stay in Philly and on the next call the agent was open to any ideas that we had to get us back home without spending the night either in the States or in London. I once again realized how much it matters to know what you want before calling the airline. However, we had little to choose from as the flights from the East Coast were rammed. I even entertained downgrading to WTP from First (CW or J on AA were fully booked) just to get away but my husband said '**** that.'

Thank you DYKWIA for checking that the flight was indeed delayed - that prompted me to start looking for alternatives.

I guess it would not have been a bad thing to spend a day in London, especially since BA would have covered the hotel (not sure about that though since I do not know the reason for the delay) or maybe BA would have put us on Lufthansa from LHR but I am glad to be home.
What route did you take then?
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
BA would have covered the overnight hotel as it's part of their duty of care obligations, irrespective of the cause. (Or put you on another airline if they preferred, of course).

I'd be interested to know what route you took - did you drop everything and do a voluntary reroute via BOS/JFK or was there some other secret wormhole?
Originally Posted by endoman View Post
What route did you take then?
Thank you for the replies guys.

It was not even about BA covering the hotel - I love London and would take any opportunity to spend a day there. I just was not sure that the flight would happen, and I did not want to spend the night in Philadelphia since our connection time to KBP was about an hour and I was already planning for missing the flight, so I did not want to miss a day of work only to end up in London and miss another day of work.

We ended up flying from EWR. That was a pain as we rented a car with Avis from PHL which is where we were supposed to bring it back to (my husband is from NJ and we were staying with his Mom). While I was on the phone with BA my husband called Avis and they told him that it'd cost US$400-500 if we returned it to a different location. That sounded, and still does, crazy, so we decided to go to PHL to return the car. I was not sure if BA would cover that penalty, and my insurance would not. We had my mother-in-law follow us to PHL and then we drove to EWR in her car. I still think that he misunderstood the Avis person or did not explain everything properly (I am the travelling geek here), but if it's true that the penalty is that high there was no way I'd pay it. So, yeah, we ended up wasting 3 hours of our time, my mother-in-law's time (it was her birthday!) just to go back to Kiev.

I entertained the idea of going in premium economy from PHL on AA but I was not sure if we'd get anything back fare-wise as it'd have been a voluntary rerouting (and then my husband ended the discussion with what I wrote earlier). My biggest upset- and I know that I am known as a BA 'apologist' here - is actually that the call centre agents do not know what the passenger can or cannot do, and I was not willing to part with money that I was never going to see again.

Anyways, it worked out for the best as we had a longer connection at LHR and even managed to shop and had breakfast at LHR. My husband is recovering from a knee surgery so he can't run and the PHL flight had us with a really tight connection. A stressful day but a happy resolution. The CSD and the CSM on my flights were absolute loves, especially the latter. 'Thank you's and golden tickets are on the way.

Last edited by Andriyko; Oct 7, 19 at 1:41 am
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:42 am

Every time I tried to do a car reservation with pickup and dropoff at different locations, I have always been quoted extremely high, so usually I pickup and dropoff at the same location.I think your husband most probably understood the Avis agent correctly
Andriyko likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by flyer0123 View Post
Every time I tried to do a car reservation with pickup and dropoff at different locations, I have always been quoted extremely high, so usually I pickup and dropoff at the same location.I think your husband most probably understood the Avis agent correctly
Same here. And a lot of the time, you end up with a crappy car if you return to another location.

Search this Thread