FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Switching between the BA16 and BA12 at SIN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1988301-switching-between-ba16-ba12-sin.html)

srbrenna Sep 22, 2019 1:31 am

Switching between the BA16 and BA12 at SIN

Hello all

I'm looking at a SYD trip and on the way back I notice that you can take the BA16 all the way through or switch to the BA12 which gives a slightly longer layover. I’d like to change to the BA12 for both the extra time (even if it is only 20 minutes) and for the A380 which should be a bit more comfortable.

A few few questions that have probably been asked before.

We we will have luggage. I presume this will be checked through. Does this cause problems?
It'll be on the same PNR

Is this easy and what are people’s preferences?

I’ m going to be in F.

Thank you!

Diver Boy Sep 22, 2019 2:09 am

As on same ticket the luggage will be checked through.

I prefer where possible to switch between 16 and 12 and 11 and 15 on way back as prefer the A380. Tend to stay awake on 16 and sleep on 12. It is extremely easy to do, get off one, go to lounge and remember to check for different gate for next flight. That has been the most complicated issue for me, rembering to head to D gates rather than C.

Tobias-UK Sep 22, 2019 2:09 am

That is my preference too, I rarely take the 15/16 all the way. It’s an simple and easy connection and no problem with luggage.

Stez Sep 22, 2019 2:10 am

Not sure how easy it is to get BA to switch you onto the BA12 as that depends on your tickets etc. Practically, it's pretty easy to do the actual transfer between the two flights in SIN, they are typically within a few "C" named gates of each other and luggage won't be a problem either.

Quite a few FTers do this to earn extra TPs as it is treated as two flights between SYD and LHR rather than just one if you flew on BA16 all the way.

It would be my preference to do it that way too as the A380 is a better plan to fly in and it gives you that bit little bit more time to relax in SIN - the difference between walking around and dashing to/from the lounges.

firstclassnewbie Sep 22, 2019 2:35 am

It's an easy switch as all of the previous posters have suggested. Double benefit of the A380 and the Tier Point boost makes it a common preference.

On one ticket the luggage transfer won't be an issue.

onobond Sep 22, 2019 6:01 am

For those not familiar with the TP earnings on this route, it might be of interest to know the difference between the two alternatives described.

TPs ranked in order F, CW and WT+

LHR-SYD: 360, 240 and 150

LHR-SIN + SIN-SYD: 450 (240+210), 300 (160+140) and 190 (100+90)

MSPeconomist Sep 22, 2019 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Stez (Post 31550286)
Not sure how easy it is to get BA to switch you onto the BA12 as that depends on your tickets etc. Practically, it's pretty easy to do the actual transfer between the two flights in SIN, they are typically within a few "C" named gates of each other and luggage won't be a problem either.

Quite a few FTers do this to earn extra TPs as it is treated as two flights between SYD and LHR rather than just one if you flew on BA16 all the way.

It would be my preference to do it that way too as the A380 is a better plan to fly in and it gives you that bit little bit more time to relax in SIN - the difference between walking around and dashing to/from the lounges.

I hope the OP is planning to purchase tickets with the connection at SIN to the other flight number and other aircraft type, not just ask at the airport. In that case, it wouldn't be a matter of needing "to get BA to switch" oneself.

Tobias-UK Sep 22, 2019 9:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31550897)
I hope the OP is planning to purchase tickets with the connection at SIN to the other flight number and other aircraft type, not just ask at the airport. In that case, it wouldn't be a matter of needing "to get BA to switch" oneself.

Yes, the OP has indicated that this trip is in the planning stage.

SK AAR Sep 22, 2019 9:48 am

Yes, it appears that OP intends to be booked on BA16 to SIN and BA12 SIN-LHR. Needless to state that if already ticketed on BA16 SYD-LHR there is no chance to switch to BA12 at SIN. It needs to be done at the planning stage/before ticket is issued.

wanderingjock Sep 22, 2019 10:22 am

I just booked this for my 18yo daughter today. She is a nervous traveller (the flying is ok - but gates/terminals/security are a bit scary for her). She's booked on BA16 and 12 (travelling out with her sister, back on her own) and I was going to ask on here - "will it be difficult to transfer at SIN for her?".

She will be travelling in CW and is Silver.

Is the lounge far from the gates? what are the typical arrival / departure gates? any other advice?

Thanks, wj

navylad Sep 22, 2019 10:28 am

I have always done the switch and when the 777 was struck by lightning out of SYD resulting in a delay whilst it was checked on landing to SIN, I was very grateful.

Obviously, the converse can be true if the 777 is delayed, you can miss your connection, but SIN-LHR is well served to be able to get away

gcuk Sep 22, 2019 1:42 pm

I like doing the switch on the way to SYD as there's 4 hours between the 380 landing in SIN and the 777 departing for SYD so plenty of lounge and leg stretch time. Coming back on an Avios booking (so TPs irrelevant), we're doing the 777 through flight all the way. The risk of a misconnect for a 20 minute longer transit in SIN isn't worth the risk to us.

Globaliser Sep 22, 2019 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by srbrenna (Post 31550240)
I'm looking at a SYD trip and on the way back I notice that you can take the BA16 all the way through or switch to the BA12 which gives a slightly longer layover. I’d like to change to the BA12 for both the extra time (even if it is only 20 minutes) and for the A380 which should be a bit more comfortable.

If you're going to plan to do this, you have to have the flexibility to take an overnight delay if something goes wrong. If you're looking at NW 2019/20, the connection time from BA16 to BA12 looks like it's 1:45, which is not generous. If BA16 is delayed departing SYD by 90 minutes or more, your connection will probably be toast, and there would then be a distinct possibility that any alternative flight won't be until the next morning at the earliest. (If you were booked on BA16 all the way through, you might just be two or three hours late arriving in London.) So I have sometimes taken one approach and sometimes taken the other, depending on the circumstances of each particular trip.

Globaliser Sep 22, 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingjock (Post 31551077)
She is a nervous traveller (the flying is ok - but gates/terminals/security are a bit scary for her). She's booked on BA16 and 12 (travelling out with her sister, back on her own) and I was going to ask on here - "will it be difficult to transfer at SIN for her?".

She will be travelling in CW and is Silver.

Is the lounge far from the gates? what are the typical arrival / departure gates? any other advice?

EF flight status will give you gate numbers for the past week. I think that BA12 is now usually at Terminal 1 gate D46. BA16 is usually at a T1 C gate, but this has been more variable whenever I've looked.

The BA and QF lounges are in the crosspiece of T1 between the C and D concourses, up one level from the shops.

srbrenna Sep 22, 2019 11:28 pm

Than you for all the advice. I knew I would get quality helpful replies.

I had had thought about delays etc but hadn’t given that my full consideration and it is a very important point. I would have preferred the 12 and the A380 for the second leg but after much thought have gone all the way on the 16.

While I was on the phone booking this as it was the second leg of an open jaw I asked a few quiestons for the benefit of FT.

Although they are two flights a through booking booking on the 16 is a married segment. However if you book through on the 16 and want a 16/12 combo

The flights can can be changed on a revenue ticket if the ticket fare rules allow.

Avios bookings can also be changed but there has to be availability on both the SYD-SIN and SIN-LHR segments. If there is only availability on one of these sectors then it can’t be done.

Likewise if if you are using a GUF with Avios there has to be availability in the underlying class and the upgraded class. For an upgrade on a revenue ticket the underlying fare rules must allow changes and there has to be availability in the upgraded class.

Thank you also for the advice on the SIN stopover. It doesn’t sound like there is a lot of time there!