Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 flight ‘completely runs out of water’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 flight ‘completely runs out of water’

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Is it normal to hand out forms in such a situation instead of just using the onboard iPad to trigger some Avios as compensation?
Presumably not all the passengers would be BAEC members?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA
The water used to flush toilets and wash hands is not the same that is used for coffee and tea.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by theshaun
The water used to flush toilets and wash hands is not the same that is used for coffee and tea.
There was a time when lavatory sink water on most USA carriers was labeled as potable while that on most foreign carriers was labeled as nonpotable. I also remember seeing some little spigots to fill water glasses on walls near lavatories and galleys.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
No coffee for breakfast?!?!

Id have demanded they divert...
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I also remember seeing some little spigots to fill water glasses on walls near lavatories and galleys.
Some 747-400 fit-outs have them by the rear galley and toilets on the main deck. I haven't noticed them on more recent types.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
This was likely a system failure. The potable tanks and the chemical fluid for the loos are not the same and operate on totally different systems (for fairly obvious reasons). Thus, unlikely the aircraft ran out in the sense that the supply was used up.
To clarify, it was stated by the CSD that the problem “affected use of the toilets” so having not checked directly myself, it may have been the case that they still flushed but there was no water from the taps. I made an assumption based on the way it was phrased in the announcement
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Waste water that is used during toilet flushing is held in black water tanks, and empties by the "honey wagon" on arrival at destination. It is NOT expelled from the aircraft like the old fashioned trains.

Water from hand washing in sinks and galley sinks is expelled through super heated drain lines into the outside air.

I sure as hell nobody does this in the air. No way would super heated even account for outside air temps -90 degrees and there would be lots of dents and holes in aft surfaces from ice blivets building up behind drains
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
This was likely a system failure. The potable tanks and the chemical fluid for the loos are not the same and operate on totally different systems (for fairly obvious reasons). Thus, unlikely the aircraft ran out in the sense that the supply was used up.
While I haven’t operated the A380, this isn’t the case on the 787. The potable water system provides water to the toilets and sinks as well as all galley systems. I’d be surprised if the A380 is different to be honest, but I’m happy to be informed otherwise. Chemical toilets haven’t been used on commercial jet aircraft since the likes of the 737 Classics and 757s.

Last edited by Boeing77W; Sep 23, 2019 at 1:27 am
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I sure as hell nobody does this in the air. No way would super heated even account for outside air temps -90 degrees and there would be lots of dents and holes in aft surfaces from ice blivets building up behind drains
Just a regional pilot but ours drains in flight. Goes out the bottom. Even if it does instantly freeze nothing adverse could happen cause it wont adhere to the fuselodge and build up. I imagine the 380 is similar.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Waste water that is used during toilet flushing is held in black water tanks, and empties by the "honey wagon" on arrival at destination. It is NOT expelled from the aircraft like the old fashioned trains.

Water from hand washing in sinks and galley sinks is expelled through super heated drain lines into the outside air.
Why is it heated before discharge? To sanitise it?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
Why is it heated before discharge? To sanitise it?
To stop it freezing in the drain lines. Outside air temperature is very cold (-50°C ish at cruise, of course this varies). So the lines are heated so no freezing occurs until after exited the aircraft, otherwise it would freeze in the tubes and cause a blockage.
Schwann likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Airbus is notorious for water system issues, not just A380 but narrow body too.
Every time I flew on an A330 or A340 down the back, the sink in the lavatories would start filling up as the drains would freeze.

Airbus also has poor air circulation, as it always ended up that one of the cabins in Y on the A330/A340 would be freezing cold, and other would be very warm.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It would if it wasn't safe to take on potable water at the destination for the return trip so the tanks had to be full when departing the UK
The 380 doesn't go anywhere with non-potable water.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by shefgab
The 380 doesn't go anywhere with non-potable water.
That was uktravelbear’s point I believe, and interest in which route - no water, and no ability to take on potable water downroute would mean cancellation of return (presumably)
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Indeed it was and was in response to someone asking why the route matters - because sometimes it does.

And surely it's posible for an A380 to be diverted to an airport where it's not possible to take on additional potable water.

Plus the discussion had moved on from specifics to the A380 to water in general

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.