Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Airside vs Landside inter-terminal transfer? (T4->T5 LHR)

Airside vs Landside inter-terminal transfer? (T4->T5 LHR)

Old Sep 20, 19, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Arrow Airside vs Landside inter-terminal transfer? (T4->T5 LHR)

Hi all, I have a question I would love the expertsí opinion on, as I have been pondering this for some time and cannot decide.

In December, I am flying the following, on two separate tickets:
  • CDG-LHR on AF arriving T4. Business.
  • LHR-LAX on BA leaving T5. Business, but AA EXP / OW Emerald

Checking bags - no

Question:
What is faster, airside transfer from T4 to T5, or exit and re-enter on landside?

Considerations:
1) if landside, fast track immigration (if it exists? Never been to T4 before) into UK Border for AF business arrival, if landside óif there is even a queue for the new machines for US passengers

2) no bags checked, so donít need to reclaim/recheck, so airside still possible

3) airside transfer is via bus and landside transfer is faster via train

4) also if airside, normally those lines/queues to take the transfer bus are super long

5) if landside, BA T5 = BA First check in + BA First security, instead of the usual T5 security s#t show even in the regular fast track line

I realize that if I was flying in regular economy for both legs with no status then airside would be the answer, but my question is, given the shortcuts that come with the premium tickets and status, would it be faster after all to exit to UK and then come back in?

Any thoughts appreciated thank you

Last edited by bunkunu; Sep 20, 19 at 10:47 am
Old Sep 20, 19, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bunkunu View Post
Hi all, I have a question I would love the expertsí opinion on, as I have been pondering this for some time and cannot decide.

In December, I am flying the following, on two separate tickets:
  • CDG-LHR on AF arriving T4. Business.
  • LHR-LAX on BA leaving T5. Business, but AA EXP / OW Emerald

Checking bags - no

Question:
What is faster, airside transfer from T4 to T5, or exit and re-enter on landside?

Considerations:
1) if landside, fast track immigration (if it exists? Never been to T4 before) into UK Border for AF business arrival, if landside óif there is even a queue for the new machines for US passengers

2) no bags checked, so donít need to reclaim/recheck, so airside still possible

3) airside transfer is via bus and landside transfer is faster via train

4) also if airside, normally those lines/queues to take the transfer bus are super long

5) if landside, BA T5 = BA First check in + BA First security, instead of the usual T5 security s#t show even in the regular fast track line

I realize that if I was flying in regular economy for both legs with no status then airside would be the answer, but my question is, given the shortcuts that come with the premium tickets and status, would it be faster after all to exit to UK and then come back in?

Any thoughts appreciated thank you
I would go landside atm. There are airside connection buses but at the moment with the cargo tunnel between T4 and the central area being closed for work it would mean an airside but to T2 then wait for another airside bus to T5.

There certainly are e-passport gates at T4 so I assume you can use them? If you can then there is no fastrack but then for e-passport gates you donít need one.

Once landside your options are tube to T123 then cross the platform for one to T5 - you will need an Oyster card or contactless card to tap in and out but it will be free. Or get the HEX connector to T123 then another HEX to T5 - again free but you use a card to tap in & out or get a free transfer tickets. Or get a free TfL bus either 482 or 490 make sure you get the ones marked to Terminal 5, free and no need to tap in, these are usually every 10-15 mins during the day.

Tbh my preference if you donít have large bags would be the TfL bus.

once at T5 use the first wing security (far end from where you get off the bus) if you are a OWE, or north fast track.
Old Sep 20, 19, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I would go landside atm. There are airside connection buses but at the moment with the cargo tunnel between T4 and the central area being closed for work it would mean an airside but to T2 then wait for another airside bus to T5.

There certainly are e-passport gates at T4 so I assume you can use them? If you can then there is no fastrack but then for e-passport gates you donít need one.

Once landside your options are tube to T123 then cross the platform for one to T5 - you will need an Oyster card or contactless card to tap in and out but it will be free. Or get the HEX connector to T123 then another HEX to T5 - again free but you use a card to tap in & out or get a free transfer tickets. Or get a free TfL bus either 482 or 490 make sure you get the ones marked to Terminal 5, free and no need to tap in, these are usually every 10-15 mins during the day.

Tbh my preference if you donít have large bags would be the TfL bus.

once at T5 use the first wing security (far end from where you get off the bus) if you are a OWE, or north fast track.
Thank you for this awesome info! Good to know Re e-passport kiosks and no fast track immigration at T4.
What does TfL stand for? I didnít know about the landside bus just the train
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:06 pm

Did anyone else notice that they started using the exact same (and same size) gray bins and the whole bin assembly line contraption system (with the dreaded wait-with-bated-breath-during-that-forever-pause-as-you-stare-at-the-bin-before-itís-flung-over-to-the-secondary-inspection-lane) in US security lines now eg LAX? I swear it must be the same contractor who sets it up
I did notice, yes. More important, thank you for the correct use of "bated".
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmblinn View Post
I did notice, yes. More important, thank you for the correct use of "bated".
how else do you spell it
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thank you for this awesome info! Good to know Re e-passport kiosks and no fast track immigration at T4.
What does TfL stand for? I didnít know about the landside bus just the train
Transport for London - basically the red buses. There is a large free travel area around LHR and local buses can be used between terminals for free.

The bus has the advantage of being direct whereas the tube and HEX both involve connecting at stations in the central area.
bunkunu likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Transport for London - basically the red buses. There is a large free travel area around LHR and local buses can be used between terminals for free.

The bus has the advantage of being direct whereas the tube and HEX both involve connecting at stations in the central area.
Brilliant.

And thanks to your info re: T4 sans fast track, I might change my AF flight to economy.
It's such a short flight and I only paid the $250 premium for the fast track... being completely conditioned to account for ridiculous unforeseen delays especially in lines at LHR. Being sans ST status and all.
Old Sep 20, 19, 8:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
As none of the flights or connections pertains to AA, we shall move this to the BA forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, AAdvantage forum co-moderator

Search this Thread