107 today to DXB

Old Sep 20, 19, 8:55 am
Original Poster

107 today to DXB

Noticed that this was on a 777 today, and left 2.5 hours late. Already my return flight on the 106 for a couple of days time is showing a delay, but without actually giving a new time.

First, was the 777 always rostered for today or has the 350 gone tech?

And, has anyone ever seen a delay posted on a flight that isnít even due to leave for another 60 hours?!
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bigmerv View Post
And, has anyone ever seen a delay posted on a flight that isnít even due to leave for another 60 hours?!
Yes, this is a frequently asked question. BA is simply providing TMI. Things can change.
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Regular massive delays for 2/3 days ahead for flights with a provisionally allocated aircraft

Normally this disappear as things shuffle around / improve
Old Sep 20, 19, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, Wyndham Diamond
I'm writing this from BA107. The explanation we were given is that the A350 hasn't gone tech, the pilot has! He got sick, and they didn't have anyone on hand who could fly the A350, so they subbed in the 77W. Got me an upgrade from PE to CW, so I'm not complaining too much about the delay (which looks like it'll be 3+ hours, so nets me some compo!)
Old Sep 20, 19, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
I'm writing this from BA107. The explanation we were given is that the A350 hasn't gone tech, the pilot has! He got sick, and they didn't have anyone on hand who could fly the A350, so they subbed in the 77W. Got me an upgrade from PE to CW, so I'm not complaining too much about the delay (which looks like it'll be 3+ hours, so nets me some compo!)
That will do for some compo. Missing my connection so will be over 4 hours late home.

Waves if you are in the lounge.
Old Sep 20, 19, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
How will it work for BA106 departing (late) later this morning?

Presumably the flight crew downroute in DXB are only A350 type rated?

Edit: Unless they've cancelled this mornings BA108 to provide a crew. Although BA108 seems to be cancelled a lot.
Old Sep 20, 19, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

The 108 has been cancelled. I guess on the basis that the aircraft has been used for the earlier flight. Out of interest, why would BA not just cancel the earlier flight and save the 777 for the flight it was rostered for?
Old Sep 20, 19, 3:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Less compo? Rebook as many people from the later flight onto the earlier flight. EC261 still applies to them, but payout would be half.

Cancel the earlier flight and fill the later one as much as possible? Pay full EC261 to all affected pax, potentially.

Plus, it gets the aircraft back to LHR sooner. BA is on ice thin op margins.
Old Sep 20, 19, 3:53 pm

The A350 training program is running slightly behind planned progress leaving BA a bit short of standby cover.
Old Oct 11, 19, 2:45 am

Got the response on the EU compo claim. Apparently it was air traffic control that turned the a350 into a 777.

Dear Mr "we hope you didn't notice the aircraft change",

Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to delay your flight to London Heathrow on 21 September 2019. Your claim's been refused the reason is, BA106 on 21 September was delayed on the day you were due to travel, because of Air Traffic Control restricted operations out of Heathrow airport a block of air space your aircraft needed to travel through. I’m afraid this was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.

London Heathrow is one of the world’s busiest international airports. Over 99.5% of all possible take-off and landing slots are taken up, so any disruption to our normal operation will result in delays and cancellations. Even if our operation is only disrupted for a short period of time in the morning, this can have a knock-on effect for the rest of the day.

In normal conditions, up to 46 flights per hour are scheduled to arrive at London Heathrow. When London Heathrow is affected by Air Traffic Control reduces the amount of flights that can arrive at the airport. When Air Traffic Control imposes restrictions on the amount of flights that can arrive, departures are also affected, which results in delays and cancellations.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The delay was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.

Thanks again for following this up with us. Please feel free to contact us if we can help you any further and I hope we have the chance to welcome you on board again soon.

Best regards

Monica Sanchez Libreros
British Airways Customer Relations
Old Oct 11, 19, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by JohnIreland View Post
Got the response on the EU compo claim. Apparently it was air traffic control that turned the a350 into a 777.

Dear Mr "we hope you didn't notice the aircraft change",

Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to delay your flight to London Heathrow on 21 September 2019. Your claim's been refused the reason is, BA106 on 21 September was delayed on the day you were due to travel, because of Air Traffic Control restricted operations out of Heathrow airport a block of air space your aircraft needed to travel through. Iím afraid this was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.

London Heathrow is one of the worldís busiest international airports. Over 99.5% of all possible take-off and landing slots are taken up, so any disruption to our normal operation will result in delays and cancellations. Even if our operation is only disrupted for a short period of time in the morning, this can have a knock-on effect for the rest of the day.

In normal conditions, up to 46 flights per hour are scheduled to arrive at London Heathrow. When London Heathrow is affected by Air Traffic Control reduces the amount of flights that can arrive at the airport. When Air Traffic Control imposes restrictions on the amount of flights that can arrive, departures are also affected, which results in delays and cancellations.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The delay was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.

Thanks again for following this up with us. Please feel free to contact us if we can help you any further and I hope we have the chance to welcome you on board again soon.

Best regards

Monica Sanchez Libreros
British Airways Customer Relations
This should make an interesting case for CEDR. BA must be getting desperate.
JohnIreland and george77300 like this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
This should make an interesting case for CEDR. BA must be getting desperate.
I have asked them to confirm the check-in agent, cabin crew and pilot all lied about the reason for the delay and issue the final response letter.

Search this Thread