FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The good old days...... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1988030-good-old-days.html)

Reetmafreen Sep 25, 2019 9:59 pm

The BA breakfast on the GLA-LHR shuttle on a Monday morning whilst heading back to work after a weekend back up the road. ;)

MickV Sep 26, 2019 3:56 am

I'll be in the minority here but there is a significant amount better about flying today than yesteryear.
Old planes
Over head in flight entertainment on loop.
Security at Belfast being a necessary pain.
Expensive.
Old lounges.

Today:
Cheap flights on lie flat beds.
Personal tv screens with a wide choice.
Internet in flight (if thats your thing)
Moving maps!
Newer planes (787, a350, a380) all great planes and feel better getting off.
More options around the world.
Great lounges. (t4 compared to t5 is night and day)

Id say the biggest thing to have gone downhill is customer service. However if someone offered you a flight based on early 90's criteria throughout the experience (price, seat, airport, plane etc) compared to today, and you choose the 90's, well I think you would need regret that when we meet at the destination.

Caveats, obviously Concorde and yes I know BA still has planes from the 90's etc etc

PUCCI GALORE Sep 26, 2019 5:43 am

MickV - the past is always seen with rose tinted lenses. I actually think that some things are better today than before - but not all. I think that when there was competition within the UK. It kept BA on its toes.

As crew the thing that I dislike most about today is the inability, or unwillingness to even look at you when asking for things. One of the things that one has noticed is that "back then" F and J was occupied by those who actually paid the fare for it for it. I think that the F soft product has depreciated from the past, but then people seem to prefer to watch films and sleep. I think that IFE has improved out of all recognition and as someone mentioned moving maps.

The CE product is probably the best that it has ever been since its inception. I think that when the CW new seats come along (high time) things will have improved greatly.

rossmacd Sep 26, 2019 5:46 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 31565266)
One of the things that one has noticed is that "back then" F and J was occupied by those who actually paid the fare for it for it.

:confused:

So today, no one pays for J or F fares? I find that hard to believe.

T8191 Sep 26, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 31565275)

The annual damage on my Amex supports your view. :)

However, I may well be in a minority.

MickV Sep 26, 2019 6:49 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 31565266)

The CE product is probably the best that it has ever been since its inception.

PUCCI GALORE :eek: one too many gin and slims this morning?

PUCCI GALORE Sep 26, 2019 7:15 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 31565275)

Darling, I have no sales figures, nor do I know the yield - but it seems as though lots of people are using Avios to get in there or upgrade, 2-4-1s - now don't get me wrong - I do the same when possible - but I suppose that I mean that in The Bad Old Days - unless you paid the published fares - you did not get in. Does the English male sense, even if what I am saying doesn't. Of course people pay the fares but I think that the rest that I mentioned is fills it up.

MickV No my Dear - I recall the CE product when there was 6 abreast (three each side), no Champagne - small bottles even on Bands 3 & 4, the food was OK but today's was much better - remember those slop-from-the-pots that they used to have?

So - whilst you may prefer to differ - that is what I think. If you don't agree , feel free to invite yourself to my house for Bombay & Slims and we'll send Him Indoors out shopping.

BahrainLad Sep 26, 2019 7:56 am

Concorde
Zone R
The Club World 'dots' logo - and the strange tartan motif they used to have with it
I actually liked the cradle seats for a day flight, especially if there were two of you and you could get AB or JK on a 777
Super Shuttle 757s with 180 hot meals served in 40 minutes
Mini bottles of Piper Red in CE
Omnia and the endless ads for the Welsh Development Agency
GB Airways in Club with a starter/main/dessert/cheese and a glass of port for after (and the CSD who took orders on a pad and served everything from the galley)

and of course

The Junior Jet Club.

Mikey Mike Mike Sep 26, 2019 11:58 am

I miss the days of a liquor service after a main meal when the coffee was served and even in WT they'd offer more than just brandy or port - proper liquors.

I really miss the free drink and snack / meal on short haul. Given BOB has not been well received and the slow service / lack of availability drives me nuts, I do miss even on a short flight having a drink and snack/ meal and sitting back. I have compensated for this with a beer out of the lounge, crisps and a plastic container to hold a couple of sandwiches.

On the Toronto to London route, I miss the Long Haul crew. Cranky at times but always excellent service in the biz / first cabins. MF are pleasant and try - but it is just NOT the same.

amt Sep 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Everything has been covered... except to add.

When the giant flickering mirror sperm blob between the escalators worked... now I just stare at it filthy and covered in years of dust triggering my OCD and desperately wanting to clean it myself.

Akoz Sep 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Dilbert the BA Jumbo stories

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7885e7e4d1.jpg

MickV Sep 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 31565552)
MickV So - whilst you may prefer to differ - that is what I think. If you don't agree , feel free to invite yourself to my house for Bombay & Slims and we'll send Him Indoors out shopping.

I always did enjoy The Graduate. I’ll bring the gin!

PUCCI GALORE Sep 27, 2019 3:20 am

Originally Posted by MickV (Post 31567210)
I always did enjoy The Graduate. I’ll bring the gin!

Do! I think that I had " Lolita" more in mind - but then I'd forgotten that not every male who posts here is old enough to be my Father - let alone mine ;)

Dearest BahrainLad - love what you recall. I remember those mini Piper-Heidsiech. Do you remember that Great Champagne Shortage that occurred in CE about 2007? They were slung out and Blue Top arrived?

Yes, it was quite possible to serve an entire 757 with drinks and a hot meal on LHR - EDI/GLA/BFS as they were Super Shuttle. Super Shuttle came into being thanks to BMI competition. It must have cost a fortune to run those back-up 1-11s. Since then they've removed crew so what can you do? The A319 operates with 3 crew members when there are less than 20 in Club.

mradey Sep 27, 2019 3:45 am

I do!