Wiki Posts
Search

The good old days......

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
The cottage pie
Actually yes and very suited to serving on an airplane.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What year were the first "enhancements" instituted?
2014?
Any year before that might be considered the good old days...
ermis177 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:50 pm

I used to like going into the BA Travel Shops and pick up brochures and look at the models! (I got my hands on lots of stuff when the Glasgow shop shut down)

Books of 'tear off' corporate shuttle tickets, sometimes with no name!

Inflatable 747 swimming pool toy
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Inflatable 747 swimming pool toy
Dd the slides detach to act as life rafts?
golfmad and lavajava like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by rickg523
What year were the first "enhancements" instituted?
2014?
Any year before that might be considered the good old days...
This word has been part of the forum’s lexicon for as long as I can remember, going back before I joined FT
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
The wicker seats and hat racks on the H.P. O/400.
The joint of beef carved at your seat on the H.P. 42.
The big windows on the Vickers Viscount.
Aircraft Captains with rows of medal ribbons.
Smartly dressed passengers.

and the totally normal smell of vomit from those the ride regularly made ill.
Crampedin13A and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The late 1970s. An airline that was the laughing stock of the world. Whose initials were said to stand for Bloody Awful, which was not far from the truth. Smoking sections. Economy tickets that cost more in real terms than business class tickets cost now. Ah yes, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Well, a lot of airlines fit that description (well, other than the initials). Everyone had smoking sections back then and I certainly am glad they are long gone.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
2007 when i was 17 and i had my very first CE flight. If i remember correct the plane had a short of proper CE seats or at least they looked quite spacious. I was sitting in the last row and they had both food choices. The 'love' did not last long as i got downgraded to Economy on my return flight. Flight overbooked. It took them 9 months to give me the compensation after repeated calls and emails.
Oh and i remember they gave me a 20£ voucher that i could only use it via the phone and when i used it i had to actually POST it back. So i had to buy a stamp envelop etc. Dreadful experience. After that i became a Gold with Star and i tried to avoid BA.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mapleg
Well, a lot of airlines fit that description (well, other than the initials). Everyone had smoking sections back then and I certainly am glad they are long gone.
I'm glad that a lot of the stuff from "the good old days" has gone. The golden hue of distorted selective memory is an ever-present danger. BA may not be at its best right now, but it's still a hell of a lot better than it used to be, within living memory. It's a fallacy to think that the airline has completely gone to the dogs, as seems to be the prevailing groupthink here. I think we'd all agree that we'd like it to be better than it is now, but it could be much, much worse.
Crampedin13A, oldone and HIDDY like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by ermis177
Oh and i remember they gave me a 20£ voucher that i could only use it via the phone and when i used it i had to actually POST it back. So i had to buy a stamp envelop etc. Dreadful experience. After that i became a Gold with Star and i tried to avoid BA.
In fairness to BA, and it now being 2019, AA still require you to post vouchers to them. Unfortunately this is the case, and it becomes a bit of a regular activity, considering they hand them out like candy.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by rossmacd
In fairness to BA, and it now being 2019, AA still require you to post vouchers to them. Unfortunately this is the case, and it becomes a bit of a regular activity, considering they hand them out like candy.
Never flew with AA so far and i am trying to avoid them due to the horrible experiences i have read but i am going to in February. Managed to get the CMN-US exceptional offer :P
Old Sep 20, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by ermis177
Never flew with AA so far and i am trying to avoid them due to the horrible experiences i have read but i am going to in February. Managed to get the CMN-US exceptional offer :P
I'm sure you will like AA J. It is my favourite product to cross the Atlantic westwards. Again today another reliable AA J crossing - great seat, quick and functional service allowing me to focus on activities such as working and watching movies. Oh, and arriving close to an hour early and second through GE immigration, perfect.
T8191 and ermis177 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:57 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Airmiles flights in J for me and my mate on the newly introduced first fully flat business class seat from LHR to SYD via SIN for (if memory serves me correctly) around £60-70 in charges.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The late 1970s. An airline that was the laughing stock of the world. Whose initials were said to stand for Bloody Awful, which was not far from the truth. Smoking sections. Economy tickets that cost more in real terms than business class tickets cost now. Ah yes, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Whilst I am sure there were more luxurious elements to travel in years gone by (not saying it was not expensive) but there was a tongue in cheek element to the phrase "good old days"

Last edited by RockyRobin; Sep 21, 2019 at 4:45 am
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:56 am

Caviar in F.

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.