Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Missed Flight Due To Bad Weather [IAH Tropical Storm Imelda disruption]

Old Sep 19, 19, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Quick question that hopefully someone can answer.

My sister is on her way to IAH (Houston) right now but she's stuck on the highway due to flash flooding as a result of a tropical storm. She's due to be on BA194 and it leaves in about 3 hours.

What happens if she doesn't make it to the airport on time and misses the flight? Looking at the weather I suspect she won't be the only one!

Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:13 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Travel insurance is the best bet. However, I've flown from Houston a lot of times, and quite often the crew were late meaning the flight got delayed.

If they still stay where they used to (about 30 minutes from the airport), then I'd guess they may also be stuck.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Will she be put on a later flight?
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Having just got off the phone to Houston, I can confirm there are big problems over there.

BA has an advisory for this (the advisory is entitled Tropical Storm Imelda, it was actually issued yesterday. So personally I would advise her to call BA when she in a safe loctation. She can rebook to flghts up to and including 22 September free of charge, no matter if she has an inflexible ticket. Then when she gets to Bush, she could at the desk try to come forward to today's flight if necessary, but to be frank, she best take the slow way, avoid rushing and have a more leisurely ride tomorrow. My experience of Houston drivers in unusual weather is that 20% know what they are doing, 10% think they know what they're doing, and 70% just drive real slooooow. It would easy, under pressure to end up with a prang.
wrp96, tuonopepper and mnhusker like this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
The passenger needs to call BA now to advise them that they may miss check-in. BA have an allowance in their Conditions of carriage where a passenger could not have reasonably have prevented an issue that prevented them for travelling but BA have to be told where possible in advance.

Edit: But c-w-s beats me with more specific advice.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Fantastic, thanks for that. I've suggested she either keep going to the airport or head home, which ever is safest.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

It looks as though the inbound flight has been diverted to Dallas. Could someone confirm?....

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...905Z/EGLL/KIAH
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Correct.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mikey07 View Post
It looks as though the inbound flight has been diverted to Dallas. Could someone confirm?....

Yes, BA.com says the first of the two flights gone over to Dallas, and is currently waiting for an opportunity to continue on to IAH. BA 197, the late flight, is still aiming to get to IAH.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Diverted to DFW:

Comments:
DOBA195/19SEP
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 195 0 TH 19SEP19
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1000
AIRCRAFT FORCED TO RETURN
DFW DIV IAH DFW
DESTINATION STATION
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1356 DFW
LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL DFW 1407 DFW
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 195 0 TH 19SEP19
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 0955 TH FAJCDRIWETY/M 777 10:15
BHKMLVSNQOG/M
IAH 1410 TH 10:15
COMMENTS-
1.LHR IAH - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LHR IAH - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
3.LHR IAH - ARRIVES TERMINAL E
4.LHR IAH - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.LHR IAH - SECURED FLIGHT
6.LHR IAH - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
7.LHR IAH - CO2/PAX* 432.84 KG ECO, 865.68 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
777 F 12 J 48 W 32 M 127
>
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, it's much appreciated.
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, one more question. Will that Flightaware link show the plane going from Dallas to Houston? If so I'll suggest she keeps an eye on it.
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:24 pm

Sorry, one more question. Will that Flightaware link show the plane going from Dallas to Houston? If so I'll suggest she keeps an eye on it.
Normally yes, if you track the aircraft registration. But it's easier to keep an eye on flight status on BA.com

BA.com/arrdep
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Got it, thanks.
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
on the bright side, weather,com is advising that the pollen in Houston is low today

Search this Thread