Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Missed Flight Due To Bad Weather [IAH Tropical Storm Imelda disruption]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed Flight Due To Bad Weather [IAH Tropical Storm Imelda disruption]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Normally yes, if you track the aircraft registration. But it's easier to keep an eye on flight status on BA.com

BA.com/arrdep
The info on that link has changed and it no longer shows it as going on to Houston. Could they just fly straight back to Heathrow from Dallas, or will they make an effort to go on to Houston?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
They just closed IAH, with a projected reopening of 1:30 PM local time tomorrow.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jase0581
They just closed IAH, with a projected reopening of 1:30 PM local time tomorrow.
Thanks for the update.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey07
Thanks for the update.
Pity they didn't divert to HOU (practical considerations like space and runway length aside).
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GOLD
BBC News had a small feature about the awful weather in Houston this morning - hope your sister is OK Mikey07.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks. She made it back home at about 10pm.

Does anyone know if that plane will fly down to Houston when it opens and try again today, or will it just head back to Heathrow?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Mikey07
Thanks. She made it back home at about 10pm.

Does anyone know if that plane will fly down to Houston when it opens and try again today, or will it just head back to Heathrow?
I'd guess it will fly to Houston. Unless they can squeeze everybody onto the 2 flights that are leaving today.

I see the later flight diverted to Orlando.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, CrabAir Blue
Shocked at BA's response. Did I expect too much?

Hi I'm also affected by this in what is my first experience of IRROPS and I can say it's been a really bad eye opener. Returning from a work trip, I was confirmed on the 2025 flight yesterday in W and the flight status kept saying all morning that it was 'on time' so I battled through a flooded Houston to get there. Forunately I know how to drive a rented SUV through water- most Houstonians don't it seems...

By this time the app was showing departure was delayed until 0100L. Fair enough I thought given the wx. However I got a text message from BA telling me not to go to the airport just after passing through security at IAH. Thanks BA. Thought I'd go and seek refuge in the lounge but it was locked and the cleaner said there were no staff. Thanks BA. Another text then said to wait for more info, which still hasn't come. From airside in IAH terminal D you can see the check in desks where BA was the only airline to have no staff on duty. Thanks BA. I found a 1-800 number online which seeemed to go to India and was told the next flight they could rebook me on would be Saturday, despite the app still saying it was operating that day (Thursday). I kept checking that view of check in and after about an hour saw two staff and landed myself.

This being my first experience of this type of thing I naively thought they would help us rebook- even lowly silvers like me. How innocent! We were given a bit of paper with the name of a local hotel and the same 1-800 number and told to fend for ourselves. There was one couple who the other BA lady was helping rebook for about an hour (First, Prem?) but the rest of us were told to call the number.

After about an hour on the 1-800 number I was told the first flight would be now on Sunday! Thanks BA. I told her to try again and eventually 'Because I am a frequent flyer an exception can be made' and I can have a flight on AA in Y on Friday afternoon from DFW but I have to get there myself.

Cue a desperate hunt for another hire car (I turned down the offer of a $700 cab ride from one rental company guy. His brother's cab I suspect.) and made the 4 hour drive through the night and am now holed up in a DFW budget hotel.

I get that IRROPS happen. I get that folk have travel insurance (or in my case the work credit card). I don't get why BA gets it so wrong on customer service and comms. If I hadn't landed myself I'd still be waiting airside for info from BA. The piece of paper said we can reclaim expenses. The BA.com expenses claim form says we can't. Newcastle generally tells us lots more than the Indian call centre. The app tells us something different.

All in all, a very unpleasant and quite dangerous day. Thank God I wasn't travelling with the wife and baby too. Can the forum tell me what I can claim as expenses in this situation? I'm certain compo in the form of EU261 doesn't apply and that's fair enough but I have conflicting info from BA about expenses. Can I claim for the 'downgrade' from W to Y?

Thanks all as ever for being the most accurate source of BA info!

AOTQ
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:59 am

I also missed my flight once it is very bad feeling.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by airmanofthequeen
Hi I'm also affected by this in what is my first experience of IRROPS and I can say it's been a really bad eye opener. Returning from a work trip, I was confirmed on the 2025 flight yesterday in W and the flight status kept saying all morning that it was 'on time' so I battled through a flooded Houston to get there. Forunately I know how to drive a rented SUV through water- most Houstonians don't it seems...
I wonder what happened to the 2 flights that got diverted? Are they just going to fly them home today empty from DFW & MCO?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I wonder what happened to the 2 flights that got diverted? Are they just going to fly them home today empty from DFW & MCO?
Two Brits I was talking to yesterday were initially booked onto another AA from DFW today so we were going to drive up together, but then their employer's TA managed to get them on a direct BA ex IAH departing today so at least one of them might be operating. I called and asked to go on that as well but the guy said there's more wx scheduled for IAH today, so I thought DFW would be a more reliable bet...
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Two Brits I was talking to yesterday were initially booked onto another AA from DFW today so we were going to drive up together, but then their employer's TA managed to get them on a direct BA ex IAH departing today so at least one of them might be operating.
The EF tea leaves suggest that yesterday's BA196 will depart at 1830 and arrive at LHR at 0949. I think that BA196 is normally operated by the aircraft that operated BA197, which yesterday was the one that went to MCO. EF's information for yesterday's BA197 doesn't currently give any information about the completion of that flight today, but FR24 does list a MCO-IAH flight today under BA197.

Currently no similar information for yesterday's BA195/BA194 rotation. It's possible to read EF as showing that the aircraft will operate DFW-LHR, arriving at LHR at 0830, but that's no more than a possibility.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:58 am

So wearing a 4 hr drive for a confirmed seat on A from DFW seems like a good bet
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yesterday’s 197 aircraft will be positioning from MCO to IAH to operate to LHR tonight, the aircraft that diverted to DFW will operate non stop to LHR today.
So it looks like 3 departures from IAH tonight and 2 from DFW.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:04 am

So wearing a 4 hr drive for a confirmed seat on A from DFW seems like a good bet
And actually this DFW has an earlier arrival time than the IAH which might run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.