FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Downgrade on BA Codeshare on CX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1987853-downgrade-ba-codeshare-cx.html)

air_boi Sep 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Downgrade on BA Codeshare on CX

Booked months ago on a BA ticket LHR-HKG-AKL in premium economy. The first flight to HKG is operated by BA and the flight onto AKL is operated by CX. Seats requested on both flights.

Just seen online that the HKG-AKL flight in premium economy has been cancelled and replaced by exactly the same flight it in economy. Anyone else experienced this?

I've contacted BA and awaiting their reply. Assume I must be due a part refund but what about compensation?

Globaliser Sep 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by air_boi (Post 31539019)
Just seen online that the HKG-AKL flight in premium economy has been cancelled and replaced by exactly the same flight it in economy.

The first question is whether CX is still operating a premium economy cabin on your flight. You might want to check that.

air_boi Sep 18, 2019 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31539053)
The first question is whether CX is still operating a premium economy cabin on your flight. You might want to check that.

Forgot to mention, yes, premium economy for sale on the flight still

Andriyko Sep 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by air_boi (Post 31539061)
Forgot to mention, yes, premium economy for sale on the flight still

Then, why would you want a refund? A premium economy seat is rightfully yours. Call BA and ask to be rebooked into PE.

corporate-wage-slave Sep 18, 2019 1:04 pm

Sounds like a double equipment change, but AKL is a sort of route where CX would want to operate their premium economy product. But yes, call up and see what can be done about it.

MSPeconomist Sep 18, 2019 1:04 pm

Did the OP have a through fare in premium economy or could BA have sold a mixed class ticket, with CX fixing the error later? In fact, does BA have any premium economy fares that book into coach for flights operated by other carriers? It might help to know the fare code and booking classes, before and after the change.

Often1 Sep 18, 2019 1:08 pm

I would start by calling BA to determine what is going on. Could be as simple as an error and not worth worrying about.

If it turns out to be a problem, consider what other options there might be and whether you would like BA to rebook or refund the ticket entirely or accept the downgrade and take a refund of the fare difference.

An EC 261/2004 reimbursement of 75% of the base segment fare will not apply here as the operating carrier of the downgraded segment is CX and it is not an EU carrier.

air_boi Sep 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31539129)
Sounds like a double equipment change, but AKL is a sort of route where CX would want to operate their premium economy product. But yes, call up and see what can be done about it.

Weird as it's the same equipment and premium economy is available. BA said that their systems show 2 class. CX's system that BA looked at (as well as their website) say 3 class. Weird! Same thing happened on my partners return flight.

corporate-wage-slave Sep 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by air_boi (Post 31539145)
Weird as it's the same equipment and premium economy is available. BA said that their systems show 2 class. CX's system that BA looked at (as well as their website) say 3 class. Weird! Same thing happened on my partners return flight.

Yes, in which I'm right it's a double change. After a few days BA's screens will line up with Cathay's.

air_boi Sep 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31539183)
Yes, in which I'm right it's a double change. After a few days BA's screens will line up with Cathay's.

What do you mean by a "double change"? An this has also happened on my partners outbound and return flight

corporate-wage-slave Sep 18, 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by air_boi (Post 31539210)
What do you mean by a "double change"?

Aircraft 1 changed to
Aircraft 2 changed to
Aircraft 1

(rinse and repeat).
In reality Cathay also use Amadeus and there are aircraft archetypes used, rather than precise aircraft numbers. When the aircraft is actually assigned to the trip, 72 hours for BA, 48 hours (I think) for Cathay, there can be further changes.

Mwenenzi Sep 18, 2019 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by air_boi (Post 31539145)

Have you looked at manage my booking on both the BA & CX web sites?
Seats allocated?

air_boi Sep 18, 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31539229)
Have you looked at manage my booking on both the BA & CX web sites?
Seats allocated?

Both sites show the flight in premium economy cancelled. Replaced by same flight in economy.

Paren Sep 18, 2019 1:46 pm

I had a PE downgrade a few years ago, booked with BA on CX metal: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ed-cx-leg.html

It was a bit of a nightmare because CX kept informing me to talk to BA because it was on their ticket, and BA kept asking me to talk to CX as it was on their aircraft.

After lots of phone calls, I got the CX team on Twitter to speak to BA to sort the ticketing side and CX kindly upgraded me to J as opposed to downgrading me to Y.

I believe the standard process otherwise is that you receive a refund of the difference in fare but good luck getting BA and CX to talk to each other.

Often1 Sep 18, 2019 1:47 pm

Until you speak with someone at BA, this is not going to do anything other than raise your BP (blood pressure, not boarding pass:rolleyes:)