FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Bassinet (not seat) reservation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1987802-bassinet-not-seat-reservation.html)

xep Sep 18, 2019 7:53 am

Bassinet (not seat) reservation?

Travelling J to DXB next week and have booked bassinet seats for both legs. How many bassinets do BA hold? i.e. if all bassinet seats have a baby on them, are there enough bassinets for all the babies on board?

I've tried calling BA but not had the time to sit on hold to get through to someone.

Also tried searching but can only find threads on seats being released... (can't post links to those threads as less than 5 points)

lavajava Sep 18, 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by xep (Post 31537734)
Travelling J to DXB next week and have booked bassinet seats for both legs. How many bassinets do BA hold? i.e. if all bassinet seats have a baby on them, are there enough bassinets for all the babies on board?

I've tried calling BA but not had the time to sit on hold to get through to someone.

Also tried searching but can only find threads on seats being released... (can't post links to those threads as less than 5 points)

I assume you are travelling with an infant? If yes and you have booked a bassinet seat you are more than likely to end up there. Number and positions depend on aircraft and class. If there are more babies than bassiners then my guess is a normal seat assignment is privided in a location with enough O2 masks.

Can I help you Sep 18, 2019 8:16 am

There are plenty of the car seat type of seats available, we only ever run out of the cots which are only suitable for infants under one year.

BertieBadger Sep 18, 2019 8:19 am

As I read it, the question is not about the bassinet seat location, but the physical bassinets themselves. i.e. if there are 6 bassinet positions, do BA guarantee to carry 6 physical cots.

There is some discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-bassinet.html

From skimming that, the answer appears to be that they cannot guarantee it and it is first come first served, but it seems to be a pretty uncommon occurrence for one not to be available in practice. Perhaps one of the helpful staffers could give a more exact answer?

EDIT: They already did while I was typing :D

lavajava Sep 18, 2019 8:53 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger (Post 31537856)
As I read it, the question is not about the bassinet seat location, but the physical bassinets themselves. i.e. if there are 6 bassinet positions, do BA guarantee to carry 6 physical cots.

There is some discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-bassinet.html

From skimming that, the answer appears to be that they cannot guarantee it and it is first come first served, but it seems to be a pretty uncommon occurrence for one not to be available in practice. Perhaps one of the helpful staffers could give a more exact answer?

EDIT: They already did while I was typing :D

Doh! My bad. Sorry OP for my useless answer. :)

xep Sep 18, 2019 9:09 am

Sorry - clearly my question was confusing!

We do have bassinet seats booked for my wife and I. We are indeed travelling with an infant, so hoping to get the cot that sits on top of the folding table. First come, first served seems fair.
Just wondering if we need to make sure we're first on the plane... or if we're 4th or 5th family with an infant will be ok?

Can I help you Sep 18, 2019 9:33 am

We would prioritise customers in the premium cabins first, I would board early and make your request.

skywardhunter Sep 18, 2019 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 31538165)
We would prioritise customers in the premium cabins first, I would board early and make your request.

That seems stupid, they already have more space and could lay their seat flat and sleep with the infant beside them, whereas in Y some infants may struggle to sleep without lying flat and it's hard for parents to hold infants continuously on a 7h flight

Can I help you Sep 18, 2019 9:38 am

Why would you want to upset the people paying the most money?

skywardhunter Sep 18, 2019 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 31538193)
Why would you want to upset the people paying the most money?

No one is paying extra for a bassinet seat. It should be first come first serve. No one says a bassinet is guaranteed in J or F, or that there's priority for those pax (unless this is in fact published somewhere?) Why should the poor infant in Y suffer more?

Can I help you Sep 18, 2019 10:19 am

To be honest it is very rarely a problem and the infants travel in comfort.

castie Sep 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 31538250)
No one is paying extra for a bassinet seat. It should be first come first serve. No one says a bassinet is guaranteed in J or F, or that there's priority for those pax (unless this is in fact published somewhere?) Why should the poor infant in Y suffer more?

Infants are charged at 10% of the adult fare plus taxes.
So typically an infant ticket for J will be more than Y.

So I'd think priority would be due in that case.

Pascoe Sep 19, 2019 8:54 am

We've used both types. Tbh when we used the car seat type (BA on LHR >> JNB) , he wouldn't settle for more than a couple of hours and ended up sleeping on my chest after that (fortunately in J so not a huge deal)

Bassinet type, (EK, LHR >> DXB in Y) He slept fine for a few hours till getting woken up due to some software glitch that suddenly caused all the lights to come on full when in the cruise (and one was pointing right down at his face) and then after that he was super cross.

On the way back on EK the grumpy CC decided he was too tall for the bassinet, despite the fact that he was fine on way out, was inside the height requirement on their website for this, and it was only a week after the successful trip. So they made him sit on my lap on a day flight the whole way. Wasn't impressed. To make it worse, we were in middle of the aircraft, and were only there specifically because that was where the only remaining bassinet seats were located. So imagine my mood. 8h no window seat and a grumpy toddler.

However as I understand it generally people seem to be ok on BA getting the seat type they want. Just don't expect magically guaranteed sleep. The car seat type means they have to be sleeping semi reclined on their backs with a 5 point harness. Not all toddlers sleep ok like that.

frandrake Sep 19, 2019 10:09 am

Ah the winds of Corbynism creeping into the world of travel! Next thing will be allowing Y passengers to use F lavatories "in the name of the people".