Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

40 minute connection at LCY. What happens if luggage doesn't make flight to FCO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Silver

I have a flight from EDI connecting at LCY next week to FCO.
Previous threads have said it is hit and miss whether luggage makes it on tight connections.

What is the process at FCO for reporting 'lost' luggage?

Is the process straight forward for a non italian speaker?

I will of course be packing emergency essentials in carry on.

Thanks

Last edited by wemorwell; Sep 18, 2019 at 7:18 am Reason: Fat fingers when typing.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
If your luggage didn't make it you should go to the BA baggage services desk at FCO and report it there. You will be given a report number and a website where you can check the status. The information will be entered manually in FCO from the information you write on the paper form onto the website so it makes sense to go to the website after that and check it's correct. Primarily you need to make sure your contact details are correct in there. There will be someone who can speak English for sure.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
Further to the above; BA will deliver your bags to you, you won't be required to go to the airport. This holds even if you leave Rome. For example, BA once lost my bags between LHR and DUB (!) when I was connecting onwards DUB-JFK-CUN on a separate ticket. The bags were delivered to me in CUN!
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Although BA will cover your interim necessities should your bag be delayed, you presumably are not flying to FCO to go shopping for under garments. One of the easiest stress-reducers is to simply pack the first 3-4 days clothing in the ample carry-on allowance and then not to worry about which flight or when your bag is delivered.

Should you have to report your bag as missing, make certain that you provide the full mobile number. One of the easiest things for some delivery driver to forget is that not everyone in Rome has a local Rome number.
wemorwell likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
One thing that can be a problem is if the Rome baggage people decide to forward it to another location in Italy for delivery. Then you are in for a nightmare.

Many years ago, flew into Rome, but was staying about halfway in between Rome and Florence. Bag didn’t make the flight into Rome and arrived on a flight the next day. Rome flew the bag to Florence for delivery. Florence said they never got it. Calling both of them daily each swears the other has it. Finally went out of my way to go to the baggage office in the Florence airport. Bag was sitting there right next to their desk and tagged that it had been sent up from Rome on the same day Rome claimed to do it. Florence baggage service had been using it for a foot stool for a week while insisting they didn’t have it. Was very close to killing those .......s.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by Often1
Although BA will cover your interim necessities should your bag be delayed, you presumably are not flying to FCO to go shopping for under garments. One of the easiest stress-reducers is to simply pack the first 3-4 days clothing in the ample carry-on allowance and then not to worry about which flight or when your bag is delivered..
As the flights are on an E190, the carry-on options are far from ample .....
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
As the flights are on an E190, the carry-on options are far from ample .....
What exactly is the hand luggage allowance difference between flying LCY-FCO and LHR-FCO with the same fare class?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by richardwft
What exactly is the hand luggage allowance difference between flying LCY-FCO and LHR-FCO with the same fare class?
I'm sure that is a rhetorical question. BA's cabin baggage allowance is identical on all service, all routes, all aircraft, all cabins, all fares. One bag plus one personal item.

Now it is the case that a fully loaded Embraer will usually result in more gate checked luggage, but the allowance still remains the same.
golfmad and FlyerTalker39574 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by richardwft
The allowance is the same but the lockers are smaller. My 45cm wide case did not fit in a locker in any part of the E190 recently (despite comments on FT suggesting that it would).
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
The allowance is the same but the lockers are smaller. My 45cm wide case did not fit in a locker in any part of the E190 recently (despite comments on FT suggesting that it would).
That's interesting; a have a guitar case that's 45cm wide and it just fits in the E170 overheads.

Last edited by armouredant; Sep 19, 2019 at 5:16 am
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by armouredant
Further to the above; BA will deliver your bags to you, you won't be required to go to the airport. This holds even if you leave Rome. For example, BA once lost my bags between LHR and DUB (!) when I was connecting onwards DUB-JFK-CUN on a separate ticket. The bags were delivered to me in CUN!
Don't always work that well. I had 2 bad experiences.
1. Bag did not turn up at HKG, travelled to SBW a few days later, did not turn up. Took many phone calls to discover they try to deliver it to my address at HKG after I had left even though I did update them with my new location and contact number.
2. Bag did not turn up at KUL, travelled to SIN a few days later, same as above.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm sure that is a rhetorical question. BA's cabin baggage allowance is identical on all service, all routes, all aircraft, all cabins, all fares. One bag plus one personal item.

Now it is the case that a fully loaded Embraer will usually result in more gate checked luggage, but the allowance still remains the same.
Not only that, in my experiences, BA's hand baggage allowance also carry over to LM codeshare. Typical LM tickets only allow for 1 item, with a smaller size but on a BA issued ticket, I am allowed 2 items at a larger size.

But either way, it is impossible to fit a maxed out BA sized hand luggage into the SAAB340s anyway and they had to be taken away at the bottom of the stairs.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Can't honestly see this being a problem at LCY given the size of airport and the amount of traffic.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The risk factor is with LCY being primarily an O&D airport, the baggage system aren’t optimised for quick transfers. Have heard several stories of bags not making similar connections.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Can't honestly see this being a problem at LCY given the size of airport and the amount of traffic.
On the other hand, that is actually the issue. The airport is not set up for transfers since it handles O&D mostly. I'm sure I saw once the number of transfer passengers at LCY was less than 2% (although I may be mis-remembering).

Sometimes you can actually see bags that should be transferred on the baggage belt - by simply looking at the baggage label (which you know they are going to miss their onward flight - especially with those 30mins MCTs.

My bags have missed 4 out of 4 30 minutes transfers at LCY on my ZRH-LCY-GLA Christmas pilgrimages. No real biggie, since BA will be playing the role of Santa by delivering the gifts next morning.
bisonrav likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.