Spurned by Galleries Lounge T5 ORD

Old Sep 17, 19, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
Spurned by Galleries Lounge T5 ORD

Flying today on Finnair to Helsinki. Gate is next to BA lounge, far from the AF/KLM lounge used by AY.

I've always been told that lounge access is available for Oneworld customers flying business class, if they have sufficiently good status (I'm Platinum).

Grouchy desk attendant: "We don't have a single seat."

I'm calling BS, also an A380 departs in a couple hours.

Is this experience unusual, or expected by FlyerTalk veterans?
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Or maybe accept that the agent is correct in terms of demand within the lounge? You yourself have said an A380 leaves soon. So rather than suspect they are lying, just accept what you have been told and go to the other lounge. And yes, they can refuse admission for capacity reasons. Better turn away a none-BA customer now than an actual one in an hour or so.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jpzeller View Post
There's a long-running thread about the lounge at PHL that you might find interesting: Refused Lounge entry at PHL

I haven't looked at it recently, but ISTR from that and other similar threads that capacity may be cited if the lounge is expected to be full, so as to reserve space for BA's own passengers, even if the lounge is not full at the exact time of asking. As madfish says, if passengers are about to start arriving for a 380 departure (which is likely to be the case for a departure in a couple of hours), that's exactly the situation in which the lounge may expect to become full within the foreseeable future.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
BA retribution for all the OWE / OWS / CE flyers turned away from AY lounge in HEL in the past year or so

(yes, I get the renovations weíre a reasonable excuse, but Iím not a reasonable person...)
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I would take the explanation at face value, although ideally the agent could have been polite/apologetic rather than grouchy. In any event if the lounge is rammed then presumably you would not want to go to it anyway. AF/KL lounge is probably quite decent anyway (although not been in ORD).
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Flying today on Finnair to Helsinki. Gate is next to BA lounge, far from the AF/KLM lounge used by AY.

I've always been told that lounge access is available for Oneworld customers flying business class, if they have sufficiently good status (I'm Platinum).

Grouchy desk attendant: "We don't have a single seat."

As you have determined that the BA staff are "BS", please provide the specific facts supporting your accusation.

This is a common occurence and BA is absolutely correct to turn other than its own passengers away when there is another option and BA's lounge is busy.

Blame, the City of Chicago for assigning a gate inconvenient to your needs or AY for accepting such an inconvenient gate assignment.
YacozA, nancypants and argonath like this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
It says on the BA website and IIRC the oneworld one as well as other airlines that entry is subject to capacity and that includes expected capacity not just the number of people in there when you turn up.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Same thing happened to me at SFO a few weeks ago before an AY J flight. Was told the lounge was full (which of course one can't tell from the entrance), although it was an hour or two before the A380 (BA286) departure so I assumed that was a fairly accurate statement.

The attendant told me to go to the AF/KL lounge that AY uses for their J passengers. Went over to the CX lounge instead and got in there without any problem.
Old Sep 18, 19, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Chicago flights [and Chicago lounges]

You might get a better picture on the circumstances on this thread over at the Finnair forum.

But yes, it seems that it's standard practice at that lounge. It's not really in compliance with OW rules, but it seems to be a frequent occurrence.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 12:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Apart from the obvious capacity explanation (that lounge can barely accommodate F passengers), AY may simply not want to pay for access to BA lounges in addition to the negotiated access to AF/KL lounge.
Old Sep 18, 19, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
Apart from the obvious capacity explanation (that lounge can barely accommodate F passengers), AY may simply not want to pay for access to BA lounges in addition to the negotiated access to AF/KL lounge.
According to oneworld rules, that's not their choice to make if alliance rules say that certain passengers are entitled to use any partner lounge. However, airlines/lounges have been known to prevent someone from going lounge hopping at an airport with the airline being forced to pay multiple lounge fees.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 12:56 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
Whether or not AY is happy to pay BA for access to their lounges is irrelevant here- any Oneworld Carrier lounge is available to Oneworld carrier status or J/F passengers irrespective of the airline flown. The exceptions are BA CCR, QR lounges, AA lounges for AA members flying domestically.

The reason the OP was turned away from the BA lounge was due to capacity limitations, which is also within the Oneworld terms and conditions of lounge entry.
nancypants and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 1:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The AF/KLM lounge in ORD may not be quite as good as the BA lounges, but equally the ORD BA lounges aren't perfect either on various aspects. It certainly isn't a big pair of lounges and the First section in particularly can easily fill up. The main lounge doesn't have natural light in it though a bit bigger. So actually the OP would not really have been much worse off going to AF/KLM, and it's only a few minutes walk away.
Old Sep 18, 19, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
According to oneworld rules, that's not their choice to make if alliance rules say that certain passengers are entitled to use any partner lounge. However, airlines/lounges have been known to prevent someone from going lounge hopping at an airport with the airline being forced to pay multiple lounge fees.
Iím guessing itís something we donít know for sure, but wasnít it suggested in one of the LHR T3 Lounge threads that only the first access is paid for, not each access.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
On what grounds?

Search this Thread