Spurned by Galleries Lounge T5 ORD

Old Sep 18, 19, 1:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
According to oneworld rules, that's not their choice to make if alliance rules say that certain passengers are entitled to use any partner lounge.
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Whether or not AY is happy to pay BA for access to their lounges is irrelevant here- any Oneworld Carrier lounge is available to Oneworld carrier status or J/F passengers irrespective of the airline flown.
I am very well familiar with OW rules. These need to be pointed out to AY rather than me. Saying that unwilling to pay for lounge access is against OW rules will not help passengers to actually get access into lounges.
I myself encountered the same issue when flying AY at a different airport (they insisted that I go a specific lounge rather than a lounge of my choice). I just pointed out that AY may not want to pay for lounge access, and denial of access can be dressed up as 'capacity limitations' (which is not against the OW rules but the passenger will never know the real reason). However, this pertains to AY, and its cheapness should be discussed over on the AY forum as it if OT here.

Originally Posted by dougzz View Post
I’m guessing it’s something we don’t know for sure, but wasn’t it suggested in one of the LHR T3 Lounge threads that only the first access is paid for, not each access.
They're all independent lounges, and the operating carrier pays for the use of each lounge.
Old Sep 18, 19, 1:57 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BA (Silver) Asiana (Silver) Hllton (Gold)
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
any Oneworld Carrier lounge is available to Oneworld carrier status or J/F passengers irrespective of the airline flown.
Not sure this is true. I can't even use the MAN lounge unless i'm flying OW.
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:14 pm

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jpzeller View Post
Flying today on Finnair to Helsinki. Gate is next to BA lounge, far from the AF/KLM lounge used by AY.

I've always been told that lounge access is available for Oneworld customers flying business class, if they have sufficiently good status (I'm Platinum).

Grouchy desk attendant: "We don't have a single seat."

I'm calling BS, also an A380 departs in a couple hours.

Is this experience unusual, or expected by FlyerTalk veterans?
Well known in the EI forum that the BA lounge in ORD can be slightly hostile to non BA passengers (it is also the lounge EI FFs and J passengers have access to in ORD for EI flights). I've been through as both an EI status passenger and BA status passenger, the difference in warmth of welcome was quite noticeable. Whereas a priority to BA pax and FFs on BA metal is to be expected, the manner in which the lounge staff approach this could be better IMO.
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
Originally Posted by DeathSlam View Post
correct. most airlines may have been like this in the past on various carriers, for example AA made this quite explicit recently:

"Starting November 1, 2019, boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines will be required for entry. Same-day priority verification cards will be accepted."
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
The whole capacity issue doesn't just apply to BA / OW. Flying from NCL to LHR recently the missus and I were refused access to the Aspire / PP lounge on the basis it was full and they were accepting pre-booked reservations only. The main reason for going in there was because we wanted a hot breakfast which, unfortunately, you can't get in the BA lounge. As you walk to the BA lounge you can see into the Premium (or whatever they call it) section of the Aspire lounge where there was a solitary passenger. I commented on this to the BA lounge staff and she told me that the police had been called to the Aspire lounge the day before because of overcrowding and various passengers being verbally abusive. Apparently said passengers were ejected from the airport and not allowed to fly.
Old Sep 18, 19, 6:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by DeathSlam View Post
Well, yes, that's another caveat...

Search this Thread