Buying an Extra seat for lap infant (questions)

Old Sep 17, 19, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Buying an Extra seat for lap infant (questions)

Hello,

Myself, wife and little thecoogan flew to Tenerife recently and we realised we could of done with buying him a seat. So, the night we arrived I contacted BA and asked about getting a quote for the extra seat.

Strangely BA gave me two different prices for the extra seat booking. One of 」242 (me calling BA) and 」180 (social media team calling me). Any reason the price was 」62 cheaper seeing as both people I spoke to used the same PNR code?

Secondly and most importantly, how do I check-in this extra seat? Is it linked to my sons passport? BA are hoping to select a seat for my son next to us prior to checkin T-24. So, I知 assuming we will get the 3 seats together. FYI I知 silver status so have selected two seats already. But have never checked in an extra seat before.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Oh, and can he get Avios for this flight?
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
Yes, he can get avios and tier points.
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by thecoogan View Post
Oh, and can he get Avios for this flight?
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
Yes, he can get avios and tier points.
But only through a Household Account.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
But only through a Household Account.
He is already in a household account, so I知 assuming there is nothing I need to do myself for this to happen?
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
He is already in a household account, so I知 assuming there is nothing I need to do myself for this to happen?
No, nothing other than making sure that his BAEC number is in the booking.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:35 pm

Hello,

Myself, wife and little thecoogan flew to Tenerife recently and we realised we could of done with buying him a seat. So, the night we arrived I contacted BA and asked about getting a quote for the extra seat.

Strangely BA gave me two different prices for the extra seat booking. One of 」242 (me calling BA) and 」180 (social media team calling me). Any reason the price was 」62 cheaper seeing as both people I spoke to used the same PNR code?

Secondly and most importantly, how do I check-in this extra seat? Is it linked to my sons passport? BA are hoping to select a seat for my son next to us prior to checkin T-24. So, I知 assuming we will get the 3 seats together. FYI I知 silver status so have selected two seats already. But have never checked in an extra seat before.
When you say extra seat i assume you would like your infant to have their own seat? And the price can vary because getting them a seat now the price depends on fare availability as ou pay the difference in taxes fees and charges and fare between an infant in lap and child ticket.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Or Avios/airport upgrade the adults then you get the infant seat space for free (middle seat)
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Is it not worth considering s comfort seat for one of you, there you don’t have to pay taxes and fees but there is a multiple of the basic fare. It wouldn’t earn Avios but I wonder if this would also be the reason for the different in price quote.
Anonba likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
Or Avios/airport upgrade the adults then you get the infant seat space for free (middle seat)
Except the infant is a lap infant so where is the spare seat?
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Anonba View Post
Except the infant is a lap infant so where is the spare seat?
The spare seat would be the middle seat once the table is folded underneath.

I did this over the weekend en route back from TFS - we actually constructed a blanket tent for her (yes I have photos) so that she could sleep without being disturbed by the lights.

M
1Aturnleft and malmostoso like this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

So I can report back with my own answers. So buying the extra seat for a lap infant does get linked to their passport so got checked in without any issues.

BA also confirmed he will get Avos for flight (via Twitter). But still not sure why I got quoted two different price?

Something happened on the plane tho that makes me think the system is flawed in some way. Probably because it痴 an edge case. But, we had to ask for the lap infant belt and life jacket ourselves. The cabin crew member admitted that my son wasn稚 down as a lap infant so had no knowledge of that fact.

Even more strangely we were approached again by the same cabin crew member and asked his age (my 20 month could easily pass for a 2.5 year old). So it seems they definitely had no knowledge of him being a lap infant for take off and landing.

On that I have two questions.

1. Should BA of had that information? Or was it always on us to ask?

2. What痴 the law on under twos having there own seat? As it seemed we could of done that if we never mentioned anything?
Old Sep 19, 19, 6:33 pm

Should BA of had that information? Or was it always on us to ask?”

sort of, they will have it if thy look up an individuals details, but if the infant has a seat they assume the infant is a child and 2 or older (I always bought seats for my kids once over 1 long haul or travelled in CE for the free center seat). most passengers will struggle with the 10% fare under 2, don’t forget this forum is not the normal passenger most people don’t fly business and some unbelievably have never even flown first.

Under 2’s can have there own seat but for take off and landing they must be in a lap belt in the lap of an adult.
in the usa they sit on the aldults lap but they don’t provide infant seatbelts.... crazy

Over 2 they have to have there own seat. also on ba if your infant becomes 2 while away they get a free seat for the return, even in First. i think they have to be lap on the way out for that to work.

If you have an infant (under 2) and they sit in a spare seat it really mucks us up the seat count, somtimes 2 or 3 counts later the crew ask....

also i don’t know if it’s still the case but it used to be in an emergency infants don’t get counted for passengers on board, although it’s good practice to say 7 pob’s and 1 infant.

Last edited by joejet; Sep 19, 19 at 6:53 pm

Search this Thread