Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Gold Status and Tier Points on Iberia marketed, LEVEL operated flights

Old Sep 17, 19, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club

Hi Flyers,

Quick question. I'm looking at a premium economy ticket marketed by iberia but operated by LEVEL airlines from Barcelona to Boston. Anyone have experience earning tier points in this way? The tier points calculator says I should get 90tps but I'm not sure I trust it....

Additionally, If I were to book normal economy would I get lounge access in Barcelona as well as a BA gold?

Thank you.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I don’t think you would get lounge access as Level is not a oneworld airline.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jonr405 View Post
Quick question. I'm looking at a premium economy ticket marketed by iberia but operated by LEVEL airlines from Barcelona to Boston. Anyone have experience earning tier points in this way? The tier points calculator says I should get 90tps but I'm not sure I trust it....

Additionally, If I were to book normal economy would I get lounge access in Barcelona as well as a BA gold?
I can see how Iberia is shown as earning TPs and Avios, but this flight is surely a codeshare on a non oneworld, so my presumption would be that in common with other examples (e.g. Lufthansa flights codeshared from Cathay) this would not earn either TPs or Avios within BAEC. It would however do so within Iberia's own frequent flyer system. Therefore you could indirectly get the Avios via transfering them from Iberia, but the status credit stays within Iberia and isn't transferable.

Travel on Level, in either cabin, would not get status access to the BCN lounge - which is run by AENA, the airport authority - but you can pay to get access or use Priority Pass.

Welcome to Flyertalk jonr405, and welcome to the BA forum as well, I hope you be able to join up with us on a regular basis.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I can see how Iberia is shown as earning TPs and Avios, but this flight is surely a codeshare on a non oneworld, so my presumption would be that in common with other examples (e.g. Lufthansa flights codeshared from Cathay) this would not earn either TPs or Avios within BAEC. It would however do so within Iberia's own frequent flyer system. Therefore you could indirectly get the Avios via transfering them from Iberia, but the status credit stays within Iberia and isn't transferable.

Travel on Level, in either cabin, would not get status access to the BCN lounge - which is run by AENA, the airport authority - but you can pay to get access or use Priority Pass.

Welcome to Flyertalk jonr405, and welcome to the BA forum as well, I hope you be able to join up with us on a regular basis.
Thanks for the help! I booked normal Iberia out and BA back. It was only £50 more and saves me the headache and worry about the lounge and TPs!
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:50 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
Thanks for the help! I booked normal Iberia out and BA back. It was only £50 more and saves me the headache and worry about the lounge and TPs!
Even with IB+ flights on Level receive significantly lower Puntos Élite (and only with IB code and from BCN, not for the other Level operations). For instance, a transatlantic flight on IB gets you
- 500 PE on discounted Business (575 full fare)
- 425 PE on Premium Economy
- 90/175 PE on discounted Economy (depending on fare bucket, 350 on full Y)

On Level, it is
- 225 PE on full fare Premium Economy
- 160 PE on regular Premium Economy
- 40/75 PE on discounted Economy (140 on full Y)

Avios on Premium Economy are the same as with IB (100/150 %) but on discounted Economy they can be as low as 10%. And, of course, no status bonus Avios or status benefits at all.
ubiest likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Aren’t the BCN operations operated by IB? They are just marketed as LEVEL. So technically the flights are operated and marketed as oneworld flights? I don’t think it would work, but it’s an interesting one.

In the last days of bmi they operated FRA-MAN/BHX for LH. So you had a situation where bmi Silvers were denied lounge access while flying on a BD code and BD operated flight. The commercial responsibility was still LH, apparently. It could have as easily been “flybynight charter air”.
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BrianDromey View Post
Aren’t the BCN operations operated by IB? They are just marketed as LEVEL. So technically the flights are operated and marketed as oneworld flights? I don’t think it would work, but it’s an interesting one.

In the last days of bmi they operated FRA-MAN/BHX for LH. So you had a situation where bmi Silvers were denied lounge access while flying on a BD code and BD operated flight. The commercial responsibility was still LH, apparently. It could have as easily been “flybynight charter air”.
With OneWorld this would be easy: with a Level flight number, it's not OneWorld marketed even if OneWorld operated. Same goes for Vueling or AerLingus.
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:24 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold Hertz PC
Hi Flyers,

Thank you.
I have a handy table that shows when you'd be able to collect Avios and TPs into BA EC. Of course given that the booking class is eligible for points accrual which you can always check in Avios Calculator.

Search this Thread