BA 214 BOS - LHR cancelled 17th Sept

Old Sep 17, 19, 5:27 am
Original Poster

BA 214 BOS - LHR cancelled 17th Sept

Hi,
My wife and I were due to be on this flight in Club and received an email 24 hours before departure to say it was cancelled and we have been rebooked on BA214, 3 hours earlier.

This is 'inconvenient' to say the least so I contacted Customer Services last night to request a reroute on the Virgin flight in Upper as that went at almost exactly the same time as the originally cancelled BA flight.

I thought under EU Reg 261 I could request this. I could clearly see 3 Upper Class seats available on the flight. BA refused to reroute me on Virgin as they said they could not see availability on their sysyem.

I said it is irrelevant what is on their system as the VS system would be more accurate.

They refused to budge.

Can you possibly let me know where I stand on this as it it causing great difficulties (although not financial). To cap it all, the Customer Service supervisor even said that my wife and I could not sit together on the new flight and he also refused to get a senior manager to call me back as I was not satisfied.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Sep 17, 19, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
FWIW, the reason given on the GDS (via EF) is "FCRY". The BA flight 3 hours earlier is BA212.

And the VS flight at about the same time as BA214 is VS12 which is showing (with a UK POS) J2 C1 D1 I0 Z0 W1 S0 H0 K0 Y0 B0 R0 L0 U0 M0 E0 Q0 X0 N0 O0 V0 T0.
Old Sep 17, 19, 5:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Expert Flyer reports the status as FCRY which I believe is a flight crew problem and eligible for EU 261 compensation.

EDIT: Beaten to it
Old Sep 17, 19, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no requirement under EC 261/2004 that BA reroute you on another carrier. Your options are to be rerouted now, rerouted later, or take a full refund without penalty. Thus, if the VS seats are available for roughly the same price (or perhaps less) than you paid BA, you should take a refund and simply purchase the VS tickets.

Beyond that, if you have other proposals on BA or AA (BA will almost certainly reroute within OW and more particularly on AA which is a JV/revenue-sharing partner on the route), you should call BA with them.

The cancellation and reroute 3 hours earlier may, depending on the reason, entitle you to compensation under the Regulation. At three hours for a Type 3 flight, it will be EUR 300 per person. Thus, some sleuthing as to the reason for the cancellation is in order as that might make the reroute less inconvenient. Broad-based terms such as "flight crew problem" are not meaningful. Staff at BOS will likely be fairly chatty and more willing to provide you with background which you will not easily find later.
Old Sep 17, 19, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
As I understand it, whilst they can reroute you on another carrier, they donít have to.

IME, operatives at the airport are more likely to do so, but given youíve been offered an earlier flight that does put you in a difficult situation as to when to go to the airport.

In any case, EC261/04 cancellation rights should apply, further details, including nuisances, can be found in the specific thread.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is no requirement under EC 261/2004 that BA reroute you on another carrier. Your options are to be rerouted now, rerouted later, or take a full refund without penalty. Thus, if the VS seats are available for roughly the same price (or perhaps less) than you paid BA, you should take a refund and simply purchase the VS tickets.
I can't imagine in any circumstances where a one way business class ticket (assuming this is the return segment) purchased on the way of the flight is going to be in any way cheaper or even remotely close to what the OP paid originally.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:05 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
If the flight 3 hours earlier doesn't work for you, can you take the daytime flight the next morning - BA 238?
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the quick replies.

It curtails the last day of our holiday - I know it is only 3hrs 35 mins, but we had specific plans for our last day that have now gone adrift.

All very annoying
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brisbane Road View Post
I can't imagine in any circumstances where a one way business class ticket (assuming this is the return segment) purchased on the way of the flight is going to be in any way cheaper or even remotely close to what the OP paid originally.
yes, the 2 seats were $14k on VS!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
If the flight 3 hours earlier doesn't work for you, can you take the daytime flight the next morning - BA 238?
That is a thought, but I would incur additional hotewl fees or would BA pick that up?
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
That is a thought, but I would incur additional hotewl fees or would BA pick that up?
BA should pick that up as it's the only option that suits you. You should also be able to get the EC261 Ä600 compensation.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
That is a thought, but I would incur additional hotel fees or would BA pick that up?
BA should pick that up as it's the only option that suits you. You should also be able to get the EC261 €600 compensation.
It's always a pity that whenever 261/2004 is mentioned, many people's thoughts are immediately of "ker-ching!" The more important bits of 261/2004 ought really to be what the airline must do for you.

Article 5 deals with cancellation, and says that the airline must offer Article 8 assistance (reimbursement or re-routing), Article 9 assistance (right to care) and (if the conditions are satisfied) Article 7 compensation. In the 261/2004 thread, there is a post about Article 8 assistance and a post about Article 9 assistance. The detail in these posts may help.

DYKWIA is, of course, right to say that there should be Article 7 compensation as well in the circumstances of this cancellation. But that's something for later, after the immediate travel problems have been sorted out.
AlanA likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road View Post
I most certainly can. While not apparently the case here, it is routinely the case on US departures that US carriers open low fare buckets when there are open seats. Last minute seats can be exorbitant or very good value. That is the value of always checking rather than worrying about generalities.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Again, many thanks for the help.

Just been on to BA, who just left me hanging for half an hour then we got cut off!

Looks like we will have to 'lump it' and take their rebooking. You are right about the comp - I would rather forego the comp and get what I paid for.

Now it is a mad dash to the airport to get the earlier flight
MARTINSWIN likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 7:42 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Now it is a mad dash to the airport to get the earlier flight
If you've not already left...

Just book yourself into a hotel for tonight, and forget the earlier flight. Once settled into the hotel, then phone BA again and ask them to move you to the flight tomorrow.

BA will pick up the tab for the hotel (but keep it reasonable!).

Search this Thread