Winter Break - Suggestions

Old Sep 17, 19, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Winter Break - Suggestions

Hi everyone

Slightly unusual topic but I知 looking for suggestions on a winter break. We値l be going in either Jan or Feb for about a week. In the process I need to earn 200 tier points to retain Gold (I知 flying from DUB). Ideally we池e looking for somewhere with some sights (but not really into hiking etc), decent bars & restaurants and not a 10hr+ flight away. We池e probably looking to spend no more than 2k between the 2 of us on flights & accom.

I致e come up with a few places & would be great to get feedback on them or any other suggestions;

Marrakech. Never been. Will give us the 200 tier points for under 300. Not sure if there痴 enough there to do for a week

Washington DC & Philly. Flights & hotel in WT+ for about 900 with lots of upgrade seats. I know it値l be damn cold though. Never been to Philly, loved Washington but it痴 15 years since I visited.

New Orleans. Similar price to Washington & Philly. Never been, not sure if there痴 enough to do for a week, combine with somewhere?

Dubai. Again WT+ flights & hotel under 1k but heard January can be dreary weather wise. Was there a number of years ago so done the major sights so a little concerned we壇 be bored

I壇 appreciate any suggestions
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:08 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
New Orleans is a pretty great city. If you don't mind driving or venturing out a bit, there's loads to see in the area - it's got a pretty unique food/drink culture and is basically a mad party city all year round (I've only been twice, once in January and once in August and it was very lively both visits. It's got your true American style food as well as some excellent seafood, cajun and creole cuisine, and the locals are really friendly. Plantation houses are a good day trip as well, as is the swamp tour / gator boat tours etc.
If you like jazz/blues I'd say it's a must visit - It's an incredibly vibrant city. Just make sure you avoid Mardi Gras which is in mid Feb I believe - but the lead up to it is just one big party (I think I last visited end of January)
Possibly more of a '5 day' city but definitely could stretch it to a week.

Edit: if you wanted to drive, you could try an open jaw into MSY and out of somewhere like Austin or Dallas. The drive from New Orleans to Austin (via Houston) is easy highway driving but might not be your idea of fun. You could also always fly between the two.

Personally I wouldn't go to Dubai for a week, but I would go somewhere like Muscat/Oman and tour around a bit. Completely different vibe to NOLA but apparently quite breathtaking from a natural beauty point of view.

If you fancied somewhere cold for a bit of a different kind of beauty, you could always get to Helsinki (or similar) and try and see the northern lights, LHR-HEL is 80TPs in Club, and particularly in January I think fairly competitive/not too pricey. Not sure if you've got OWE or equivalent but the Helsinki flights leave from T3, the Cathay First lounge is a very nice way to spend a transit.

Depends what you're after really
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
I'd be looking at Malta or Beirut. Should find reasonable weather, and there's plenty to do in both places.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:15 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Could add India to the list

I really wouldn't do the Northeast US. I used to live in New York and it's just so bitterly cold that you are miserable.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Tel Aviv is supposedly a rocking city. Not been but on my list.
Lehava likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
• Marrakech.
• Washington DC & Philly.
• New Orleans.
• Dubai.
I would add Charleston and Nashville to the USA destinations, though a week is perhaps slightly too long. New Orleans definitely has a week of attractions around it, no question of that in my mind. If you can cope with PHL and WAS then I'd add BOS or Montr饌l+Qu饕ec to the short flight list, but both WAS and PHL are good choices, and one can never tire of NYC either. Montr饌l often has slightly milder weather but essentially you have to plan for a few inches of snow. I'd drop DXB, unless you are into shopping malls, I'm not. Agree with BEY or AMM as an alternative to Marrakech, all are a bit of hard work, but in a hopefully rewarding way. AMM would give you the Petrus option (think about their combined visa+admission card system).

The place that matches your specification best is Muscat, Oman, or perhaps M騙ico, though both are pushing your flight time limits.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:36 am

I would struggle with a week in Marrakech, to be honest. That said there is scope to see other cities whilst you are there. The coast (Agadir/Essaouira) *may* even be an option despite the time of year although it will be cold in the evenings.

Marrakech is nice but I would start to get bored after day 3. In fairness you can say the same about most cities I guess.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Marrakech - if you stay in the right place (maybe a hotel a little outside the main old town) you can easily spend a week - 2/3 days to see the old city and wander, a couple of days just to chill by the pool (winter sun should be decent) and perhaps a day trip or an overnight excursion out to the Atlas mountains
krispy84 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Florida should be warm, although you would want to avoid dates around USA long holiday weekends.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC
I was going to suggest Miami, but I think you will struggle to get that within 2000 in Jan.

Another vote for Marrakech, follow ratypus itinerary above and there痴 plenty to occupy a week.
Old Sep 17, 19, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
I would struggle with a week in Marrakech, to be honest. That said there is scope to see other cities whilst you are there. The coast (Agadir/Essaouira) *may* even be an option despite the time of year although it will be cold in the evenings.

Marrakech is nice but I would start to get bored after day 3. In fairness you can say the same about most cities I guess.
Essaouria is an easy 3 hour drive (and much nicer than Agadir). Nights are chilly but days pleasant

A week gives scope to head round the Atlas Mountains into the Sahara itself.
Old Sep 17, 19, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post

Head out to At ben Haddou and stay a night there. That's great, very atmospheric at night when it is deserted. Lots to see on the way there and back to make that 2 days (Telouet etc.)
haveric likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Marrakech is one of those places where locals will constantly hassle you and try to rip you off. From the moment you step out of the terminal until you're back in the terminal.

Have you thought about the Caribbean? Lots of islands to choose from, should be hurricane free by then and give a sun filled winter break.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:20 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
SWMBO and I did the Marrakech week last year. 2 or 3 days in and around the town, then a day or two by the pool, then get the concierge to fix a trip or two out for you. As other have said, a day in the Atlas with a guide is great.
It might not be a "full-on" 7 days, but it can be relaxing.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
1. You just have to get a thick skin and ignore the hassle
2. Get hold of a reliable guide to visit the souks: worth paying for as they keep the hawkers at bay
3. Just say no, politely

It's obviously not that relaxing for everyone and yes, it can be a pain - but it's not that bad! And hence my suggestion for a hotel a little outside the old town (rather than a central hotel / riad) as it's a relief from the city centre 'hassle' if you're off in the Palmeraie or somewhere else a little outside town; most hotels provide free transfers into the old city for when you need it, and as I say probably 2-3 visits in a week is about right (perhaps one guided tour of the historic sites; one trip into the evening market in the main square, and one shopping expedition into the souks)

Search this Thread