Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Break - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

Bear in mind that it’s Mardi Gras in New Orleans at the end of February with parades starting in January. You’ll either love it or hate it.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Oman could be a good shout, though I’m a little concerned it might be a bit conservative (bar wise etc).
Muscat is certainly more conservative in that respect compared to Dubai, and it wouldn't be the right place for a lads' week away. However if you are a couple then by dining in the larger hotels you will be fine drinking there, if your tastes are mainstream, many would prefer that to the more raucous atmosphere in DXB. The larger hotels will have bars which stay open past midnight, as well as serving alcohol in the restaurants. Just avoid any Islamic holy days (ditto Dubai to some degree). Amman and Beirut are both liberal with bars, in some ways more so in Amman, though sightseeing in the city itself would only take a 2-3 days. Petra and the Dead Sea would fill the week comfortably. On one level it can claim to be the oldest city on the planet, on the other it is one of the youngest capital cities out there. Dubai could be anywhere, Muscat is definitely a Middle East country but in a sane, user-friendly and sensible form.
DeathSlam and Lizie like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
+1 Marrakech - really enjoyed it when I went last December and the weather was warm and pleasant. So many Riads to stay in and also a trip into Bedouin village in Atlas is totally worth it. Good flight times and I think LHR-RAK is still running if LGW not an option.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:37 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I’ve never really had a great desire to go to the Caribbean (perhaps wrongly) but flight prices seem pretty steep and there’s next to zero Avios J availability.
J is expensive. But I have done a solo week all inclusive in Antigua for £1k flying Y. Doesn't meet your TP requirements but it's a heck of a lot better than spending Feb in Manchester,
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
While I am usually a huge cheerleader for Nashville, to be honest, I almost always try to escape the unpleasant winter climate in January or February. Days are short and it can be fairly unpleasant to spend any time outdoors.
I lived in Charleston for medical school and winter was much easier but even now, not sure you will find a week's worth of things to do even taking a day trip to lovely Savannah, Georgia.
Indoor activities in Nashville though are quite fun and we do have some excellent restaurants.
The Nashville symphony will be in full swing and with their 14-15+ Grammys they are a force to be reckoned with and the acoustics at the Schermerhorn Symphony hall rival any in Europe. American football will still be going in January as will the Predators ice hockey at the Bridgestone Arena. Plus other great concerts at the Ryman, Bridgestone Arena. The TPAC hall often has some good Broadway touring shows.
Museums-the Frist center usually has wonderful exhibits that change often and the new Tennessee State Museum is really excellent. Plus the Johnny Cash museum and some other small museums.
Music venues of course are always fun. Don't forget the Bluebird Cafe out in the Green Hills area.
Further out by about 20 miles is absolutely darling downtown Franklin which is steeped in amazing Civil War history with tours of Carnton Plantation, Lotz and Carter Houses and the downtown area of Franklin exudes quintessential American charm with free parking and lovely boutiques, antique shops and restaurants.
There is a really good website called www.visitmusiccity.com that can introduce the OP to a lot of fun and interesting things to do here. Yes you can have a full and fun week here but bring VERY warm clothes in January and February. I wear a fur coat most every day when I go out!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:25 am

Have recently spent a week in New Orleans and I would echo comments that it's more of a long weekend than a full week destination - though admittedly we indulged a bit too much in the nightlife to make the most of the day trips available. I would go back, but only combined with another destination in the same trip.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:10 am

No need to worry about drinking in Oman as long as you don't behave badly. Some Omanis drink openly in bars. Plenty of things to do, but you could be very unlucky and have an entire week of rain.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I'd be looking at Malta or Beirut. Should find reasonable weather, and there's plenty to do in both places.
Had 5 days early Feb this year in Malta. 4 out of 5 days were sunny. Pleasant as well 18C most days. Stayed at the Radisson Blu. Altogether CE flights (160tp's) + accom (booked separate) + car (again booked separate) was £600:00.

ML
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would add Charleston and Nashville to the USA destinations, though a week is perhaps slightly too long. New Orleans definitely has a week of attractions around it, no question of that in my mind. If you can cope with PHL and WAS then I'd add BOS or Montréal+Québec to the short flight list, but both WAS and PHL are good choices, and one can never tire of NYC either. Montréal often has slightly milder weather but essentially you have to plan for a few inches of snow. I'd drop DXB, unless you are into shopping malls, I'm not. Agree with BEY or AMM as an alternative to Marrakech, all are a bit of hard work, but in a hopefully rewarding way. AMM would give you the Petrus option (think about their combined visa+admission card system).

The place that matches your specification best is Muscat, Oman, or perhaps México, though both are pushing your flight time limits.
If you're thinking Oman then Muscat is good, but Salalah on the Southern Oman Coast is an amazing place. Considering this is the middle east it's something of a tropical oasis due to it's position on the Indian ocean and the effect the SW monsoon has (though this wont impact you if you're there in the winter).

ML
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by muscat
No need to worry about drinking in Oman as long as you don't behave badly. Some Omanis drink openly in bars. Plenty of things to do, but you could be very unlucky and have an entire week of rain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Muscat

ML
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:02 am

Abu Dhabi would be one to consider. Less bling than Dubai, more cultural stuff like the Louvre museum, the Sheikh Zaid Mosque, natural white sand beaches on Saadiyat Island and decent bars and restaurants and shopping too. Hotel wise lots of options to a similar standard to Dubai but generally a bit cheaper. Ferrari World theme park if you're that way inclined. I personally thought it was a complete waste of money but each to their own. Dubai is just over an hour away by road if you get the urge. You also have the the option to fly through Dubai too if you prefer (A350 route) and take a slightly longer transfer. Temperature wise it's low to mid 20's during the day. AUH is our go to New Year beach break destination now over Dubai. Evenings are cooler and sometimes misty first thing in the morning but we're yet to encounter dreary weather there in January.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 18, 2019 at 7:13 am
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Mountlodge
If you're thinking Oman then Muscat is good, but Salalah on the Southern Oman Coast is an amazing place. Considering this is the middle east it's something of a tropical oasis due to it's position on the Indian ocean and the effect the SW monsoon has (though this wont impact you if you're there in the winter).

ML
More of a QR destination than a BA one. SLL isn't a drivable destination from Muscat and im not certain it will hit budget given the 200 tier points requirement. The close proximity of SLL to the Yemeni border also concerns me at the moment. Theres not an awful lot going on there other than a few nice beach hotels, although as you say temperature wise it's a lot warmer down there than in Dubai (high 20's).
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Doubtful
Guess, You have to shop with me

No quibble with that. Excellent and reasonably priced food low end to high end.
Yes and there was this hot Egg dish which I loved so much (forgot the name) and I wish I know how to cook it

This may be the key. If you are in the demographic to buy slippers, glasses and tagines they have a reason to be moderately polite.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:15 am

Marrakech is one of those places where locals will constantly hassle you and try to rip you off. From the moment you step out of the terminal until you're back in the terminal.
Agree, would never (ever) visit twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.