FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   What does BA define as a "sensitive customer"? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1987559-what-does-ba-define-sensitive-customer.html)

sku4525 Sep 16, 2019 4:40 pm

What does BA define as a "sensitive customer"?

Hi all.

I've just received a subject access request response from BA and shortly after my CCV number it lists "SENSITIVE CUSTOMER: Y?" and I'm wondering what this means.
I did reply to the DSAR email response asking them to confirm (as I'd say this could fall under an industry or company term that could be expected to be explained) and the response was "This is an internal field we use to categorize customers". So technically a valid answer that explains it but not knowing what I'm sensitive to has made me curious!

Naturally; I'm wondering what one could have possibly done or given to BA to be deemed a "sensitive customer"!?
It's definitely not any disability info as all those are in separate fields (and are empty as I'd expect) nor is it any historical issues of "Unruly behaviour", "suspected intoxication incident" or "abuse risk to public/staff" or "legal risk" (other 4 categories listed on the extended report and thankfully all negative).
I can't see anything in any of the call centre/support team notes (of which there are many!) to suggest a reason as to it being in there.

Unless submitting a SAR itself causes one to be considered "sensitive" ;)

Anyone got any ideas?

Dambus Sep 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Can you feel a 30-day old dried pea through 1/4 inch of economy class seat padding?

;)

TTmex Sep 16, 2019 10:14 pm

Reference to price sensitivity, perhaps? I.e. they assume in this case that you are someone whose purchasing decisions will be affected by price over other factors?

Perhaps an N would indicate a customer who is driven by premium over price, i.e. will pay for F or J even at a high price because they value the quality over the price.

I may be wrong all together. Just speculating

Dave Noble Sep 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Perhaps it means a person that is inclined to try and look at sensitive information that they shouldn't have access to - such as passenger manifests

corporate-wage-slave Sep 16, 2019 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by sku4525 (Post 31532209)

My guess (and that is all it is) is that it indicates whether the passenger has made a Subject Access Request, which is as circular an argument as you can get.

Welcome to Flyertalk sku4525, and welcome to the BA forum. Sensitive or not, all are welcome here!

Scots_Al Sep 17, 2019 12:38 am

If you have had reason to submit a SAR, then presumably you’ve had some sort of run in with BA and its customer services?

Is it possible that, conscious of DPA, BA has decided that having a yes/no field entitled “sensitive” is better than allowing its staff free text boxes where they can write “pain in the arse”? ;)

fruitcage Sep 17, 2019 1:30 am

It just means the customer in question has been barred from any future op-ups.

antichef Sep 17, 2019 1:42 am

I suspect that it is Sensitive Customer Information and is "Commercially Sensitive" and is withheld. You can write to them and ask why. This guide might help:
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-.../#.XYCN7PzATOQ

PrimaVista Sep 17, 2019 2:23 am

I rather suspect it's a trade euphemism for one who complains regularly...

I'd be writing a letter... :D

fransknorge Sep 17, 2019 5:17 am

Originally Posted by sku4525 (Post 31532209)
Hi all.

I've just received a subject access request response from BA and shortly after my CCV number it lists "SENSITIVE CUSTOMER: Y?" and I'm wondering what this means.
I did reply to the DSAR email response asking them to confirm (as I'd say this could fall under an industry or company term that could be expected to be explained) and the response was "This is an internal field we use to categorize customers". So technically a valid answer that explains it but not knowing what I'm sensitive to has made me curious!

Naturally; I'm wondering what one could have possibly done or given to BA to be deemed a "sensitive customer"!?
It's definitely not any disability info as all those are in separate fields (and are empty as I'd expect) nor is it any historical issues of "Unruly behaviour", "suspected intoxication incident" or "abuse risk to public/staff" or "legal risk" (other 4 categories listed on the extended report and thankfully all negative).
I can't see anything in any of the call centre/support team notes (of which there are many!) to suggest a reason as to it being in there.

Anyone got any ideas?

(bolding mine)
Do you truly mean CCV or is it CIV ?

origin Sep 17, 2019 5:22 am

Did you purchase tickets / or where flying during the last time BA had a known hack of the database?

where next Sep 17, 2019 5:23 am

Sensitive Customer or DYKWIA ? maybe the same

BarneyMcGrew Sep 17, 2019 5:35 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 31533603)
(bolding mine)

Or do the OP mean a CVV number, as in the number on the back of a credit/debit card?:

https://www.cvvnumber.com/

sku4525 Sep 17, 2019 5:37 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 31533603)
(bolding mine)

It says CCV but I interpret it to mean CIV as CIV isn't mentioned anywhere else and the number matches my status/habits of late (it's 36!)

As to everyone else's answers: I believe antichef is correct based on the context :)

If you have had reason to submit a SAR, then presumably you’ve had some sort of run in with BA and its customer services?
Nope not really I've never submitted a complaint only flight related queries.
I submitted a SAR because.....well it's my right too more than anything else and I was curious as to what BA held. I'm also trying to piece it all together as part of a project that I'm delivering a keynote on at a privacy summit next year.
I was very surprised with the modelling BA has done it's the kind of stuff that Axciom does (A company I'd never heard of before but that knows a lot about me and all of you as well!)

How "% LIKELIHOOD OF BEING GAY/LESBIAN/TRANSSEXUAL/BISEXUAL = 98%" is required for BA's operations is beyond me (I guess targeted marketing). I'm more offended that they think I'm 2% straight!

Thanks for the responses everyone :) - I'm going for the mental health related reasons as that would tie in with one encounter I had with BA so makes logical sense.

Meanwhile; I encourage anyone with a bit of free time to DSAR anyone you can. You'd be surprised at how much random data is out there and how eventually that 98% of being gay made its way to the defence services in Saudi Arabia (a country I once lived in so wouldn't really want them knowing that at the time) via data sale after data sale after more data sale!

Often1 Sep 17, 2019 5:45 am

It is almost certainly a euphimism for something unpleasant. Otherwise no reason not to display it.

Presumably there was something that led you to make the request. What was that? Have you had other run ins with BA? Complaints you have made? Complaints about you? What else did the response provide?