Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What does BA define as a "sensitive customer"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does BA define as a "sensitive customer"?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And is it appropriate that a credit scoring agency should be speculating about your sexual behaviour and sending it to an airline?
Welcome to The Matrix! This, we are told, is why the Internet is "free"; and so long as people expect it to be free, little will be done to stop this. About a year ago, Gillian Tett wrote an interesting piece pondering this - https://www.ft.com/content/b21ffb20-...d-fa565ec55929 - in which she pointed to the parallels between today's geeky use of data and the pre-2008 use of geeky financial instruments.

Incidentally, I see that the person who drafted this list may be the same person as was responsible for the warning that you might "incure" additional baggage charges.
IMH, Kgmm77, irishguy28 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to The Matrix! This, we are told, is why the Internet is "free"; and so long as people expect it to be free, little will be done to stop this.
Absolutely. When something is free, it invariably means the user/consumer is actually the product of the organisation providing the service.
Social media asking for your data so you can connect to friends, family and like-minded people just means they can sell extremely well defined target groups to advertisers.
This is one of the simplest examples but there’s so much happening and so many connection points that the Matrix reference is spot on.
sku4525 likes this.

Last edited by MNMAA; Sep 18, 2019 at 7:38 am Reason: Typo...
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by sku4525
Yay 5 approved posts I can share a couple screenshots before I head to bed (approximate bedtime was one of Three UK's metadata lines based on my phone usage data btw. They got it pretty close!)

Here's a small portion of the "standard" report the other one is more complex to screenshot due to the positioning of the data and it's 3am so I'll deal with that tomorrow. Anyone can get this by asking for all data held on them and attaching a passport + recent utility bill (plus all known names, addresses and email accounts so you can loop in any non-exec club bookings as well).
CCV profile is the one you're looking for. I imagine mines dropped right down overnight!

I don't see "%age chance of being non-straight" on there? Have I missed something?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Banana4321
I don't see "%age chance of being non-straight" on there? Have I missed something?
I think that's addressed by the "Here's a small portion of the "standard" report..." that you quoted!

rb211.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:02 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Even at this early stage this is clearly a very important thread. Thanks to sku4525 and others who have posted so much valuable and (for me at least) eye-opening information.

The thread has developed beyond OP's initial question to a point where it might be appropriate to change the original title (for posterity: What does BA define as a "sensitive customer"?) to something wider. I only stumbled across the thread because it's a quiet Sunday morning and it seems important that the thread is seen and read by as many people as possible.

Any suggestions for our mods to make the thread more visible? First (dry) attempt: BA and customers' personal data. That can certainly be improved on by others here.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I haven't got round to submitting my own SAR yet, but curious; anybody got a reply yet as I imagine this thread motivated several people? Are you all sensitive, or have I underestimated BA's response times to these requests?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
I haven't got round to submitting my own SAR yet, but curious; anybody got a reply yet as I imagine this thread motivated several people? Are you all sensitive, or have I underestimated BA's response times to these requests?
I imagine UncleT is annoyed about being 86% gay and hsmall is in turmoil working out his 2% gayness rating, so everyone is sulking.
hsmall, Silver Fox and volar like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:12 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
Send it the 18th September, no answer yet. If not received on the 19th October I will deposit a complaint with the Rheinland-Pfalz DPO.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I love this thread. Now cost cutting is in BAs DNA this is just another thing us pesky customers can do to make them spend money
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Fascinating thread. Im curious but unfortunately my laziness precludes me firing off one of these requests.

Additionally I assume the % of gayness was just in the bundle of info BA bought, as opposed to being something they'd complied themselves.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to The Matrix!
Welcome to the web. Nothing has changed, it's just that the majority of people out there make the mistake of thinking they're the spider.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I've always wanted to know exactly how gay I am. I've just emailed the DPO at BA to ask. I just hope the op isn't trolling us else there's going to be a very confused recipient of my email
Turns out I'm not a sensitive customer, and hence my sexuality isn't relevant to BA. That was disappointing.

It's a huge amount of nicely formatted data they sent back though; an interesting exercise. Interesting to see screen captures of SAP transactions which have captured feedback emails I've sent over the years and their summaries.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Just a bit curious, but does the extract include the CIV?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by alex67500
Just a bit curious, but does the extract include the CIV?
Yes
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by alex67500
Just a bit curious
Careful. If BA see that they'll up your gay number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.