Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What does BA define as a "sensitive customer"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does BA define as a "sensitive customer"?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:55 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Or do the OP mean a CVV number, as in the number on the back of a credit/debit card?:

https://www.cvvnumber.com/
This is why I request the clarification. I do think storing CVV is a big no-no for security reasons.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by fransknorge
This is why I request the clarification. I do think storing CVV is a big no-no for security reasons.
Sorry, your post referred to a CCV and CIV number (whatever these are?) hence I asked if the OP was talking about a CVV.

I agree that storing the CVV is a serious security matter.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:39 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

CIV is a customer value score. Plenty of threads about it on the BA board.
BarneyMcGrew likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unless there's something you're not telling us TTmex explanation seems a good one.

Wonder if mine says......'Parker Knoll Customer'.
TTmex likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CVV's may not be retained for more than 7 days in the UK. That is why unticketed reservations routinely drop off after the 8th day and why it is important to call BA back and have your card reentered if one has made a reservation and it is not ticketed after 6 days and thereafter until it is.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

This was never a CVV it was CCV I'm happy to share the screenshot but the forum won't let me post links until I have enough posts! It was 34

I'm confident BA are not storing card details. In fact there were no mentions of any card details bar the nicknames used to store them. It references the third party payments provider and details all transfers to and from them later in the document none of which contained any card details bar the last 4 digits.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sku4525
It says CCV but I interpret it to mean CIV as CIV isn't mentioned anywhere else and the number matches my status/habits of late (it's 36!)!
Yes it's the same thing. The name has changed many times over the years, "customer individual value", "corporate customer value", "corporate individual value". At one stage you only had a CIV if you were working for one of BA's bigger customers, whereas now even some AAdvantage members have personal CIVs.

How "% LIKELIHOOD OF BEING GAY/LESBIAN/TRANSSEXUAL/BISEXUAL = 98%" is required for BA's operations is beyond me (I guess targeted marketing). I'm more offended that they think I'm 2% straight!
Which is a bit troubling. This falls directly into the category of "Sensitive Personal Data", and the grounds that you can hold this information were deliberately made extra strict. There is a Public Interest criteria which is a bit wide, plus there is the grounds for statistics etc. But I would query how this got through their GDPR preparations.

I'm also wondering how they get that 98% (49 trips to Key West and 1 to Riyadh?), which is perhaps subject to a more whimsical thread though unlikely to survive long!
NickB, SK, Dambus and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:46 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Thanks for clarifying about the CCV.

As for :
How "% LIKELIHOOD OF BEING GAY/LESBIAN/TRANSSEXUAL/BISEXUAL = 98%" is required for BA's operations is beyond me (I guess targeted marketing). I'm more offended that they think I'm 2% straight!
What the frack ? This is very troubling and if unlawful would trigger another significant ICO fine.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Another possibility is that ir is a market to alert staff that there is sensitive information in existence which is not generally available. This might include information about medical conditions and the like which have been provided to BA for the express purpose of demonstrating "fit to fly" but which should not be reviewed by staff in the ordinary course. Having the flag alerts staff to the possibility that a given file may require a different channel review.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:59 am

I wonder how many new requests this thread has triggered.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by sku4525
"% LIKELIHOOD OF BEING GAY/LESBIAN/TRANSSEXUAL/BISEXUAL = 98%"
I agree with people above. That information would be outright illegal in France (and I believe in Germany too). The fact that it's held is quite worrying, both for the security reasons mentioned by the OP, and also for the fact that what the actual proverbial, really? If they're not planning on using it for some kind of (positive or negative) discrimination, why on Earth would they keep it???
SK likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I must say it has made me curious
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by alex67500
I must say it has made me curious
I have many friends who are too...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, KL Gold, LH FTL, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Count me as one :-)
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:24 am

I've always wanted to know exactly how gay I am. I've just emailed the DPO at BA to ask. I just hope the op isn't trolling us else there's going to be a very confused recipient of my email

Last edited by adrianlondon; Sep 17, 2019 at 9:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.